Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail Advice: Lake Chelan, Lyman Lake, Sawthooth Range
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cunningkeith

cunningkeith
PostMon May 20, 2019 1:35 pm 
I was hoping for some some help & trail recommendations in the Lake Chelan area for mid July. My wife and two kids and I will be up at Holden Village near Lake Chelan this July. I'm trying to add a 3-night backpacking trip to our Holden visit. Here are my top two contenders: Option A: Holden Lake, Hart Lake, Lyman Lake (out-and-back) Option B: Oval Creek, Eagle Creek Loop in the Sawtooth Range NE of Lake Chelan (camping around Oval, Star, and/or Tuckaway Lake) Here are my two main concerns: avoid burn area and avoid massive mosquito attacks. My kids have been traumatized many times by hitting the Cascades too early, and hence being eaten alive by the buggers. No fun for anybody. So . . . although we're early (mid July) I'm thinking that the low snowpack makes it possible (likely) that we'll be past peak mosquito. So which option has a better chance of avoiding bugs and burn area? If it's a tie, is one area preferable to another? I'm also very open to other suggestions that are in the region and are under 30 miles. Thanks for any suggestions!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon May 20, 2019 5:37 pm 
Probably not helpful, but some of the worst skeeters I've been in were on the Chelan Summit trail in mid July (2009). But I've also been eaten pretty good at Lyman and up to Cloudy Pass in mid August. The view from Cloudy was worth it. smile.gif

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue May 21, 2019 5:47 am 
Drove up to the War Creek and Eagle Lakes trail head this weekend. Might be a fair number of down burned trees. But that area is popular with the horsemen so they might log it out. A few mushroom pickers in the area.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue May 21, 2019 6:27 am 
I've been at Lyman Lake in the first week of August at 75F and sunny and the mosquitos and horseflies* were horrible. I've been at Lyman Lake in the first week of August at 65F and sunny and there were no bugs. So I have no opinion on your request other than to recommend that you bring insect repellant. cool.gif The Cloudy Peak/Miner's Ridge area is a special place for Tabanid horseflies. The miners grazed their mules on the slopes of Cloudy Peak, you can still see the near-fossilized manure. The horseflies only live between 6,000 and 6,600 feet, and only come out for blood during the warmest hours in the middle of the day. But boy do they pack a wallop! eek.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostTue May 21, 2019 10:36 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
The horseflies only live between 6,000 and 6,600 feet,
Its exactly that precise?? They never stray up to say...7000 feet? 😉

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon May 27, 2019 12:36 am 
Permethrin and Meet for any hike I go on. Especially on the east side of the Cascades permethrin treated pants are very helpful and I have found it to be effective. I'd recommend buying it bulk not as diluted from a feed store, and dilute it yourself and treat your clothes with it. (Saves a ton of money) You can use a spray bottle but I think dipping them in the solution from in a tote is easiest. Keep away from cats until clothes have dried.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
DadFly

DadFly
PostTue May 28, 2019 8:00 am 
Last year mosquitoes at Lyman lakes in mid July were very bad. We use head nets, long sleeve shirts and herbal repellent for hands. My wife and I used that tent over this last weekend. There were still dead mosquitoes smashed on the inside of the fly. eek.gif

"May you live in interesting times"
Adampegg
Atom

Adampegg
Atom
PostFri May 31, 2019 1:57 am 
I’d would confidently vote for Lyman lakes. I’d stay the night at cloudy pass though and explore the ridge walking toward fortress mountain.

GC99

GC99
PostThu Jun 06, 2019 4:53 pm 
I liked Holden Lake the most, but of course the bugs are awful at all of them. It has the most dramatic views with Bonanza Peak above it. The trail is pretty exposed though and can get hot.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 9:57 am 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
Permethrin and Meet for any hike I go on. Especially on the east side of the Cascades permethrin treated pants are very helpful and I have found it to be effective. I'd recommend buying it bulk not as diluted from a feed store, and dilute it yourself and treat your clothes with it. (Saves a ton of money) You can use a spray bottle but I think dipping them in the solution from in a tote is easiest. Keep away from cats until clothes have dried.
See long thread on this topic here.

cunningkeith

cunningkeith
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 2:48 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions. For what it's worth, I just returned from a trip in the Olympic Mountains, starting from Staircase. Bugs were nothing more than a minor nuisance at all elevations that I traveled (800 ft to 4700 ft).