Forum Index > Trail Talk > Weden Lake info
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 8:07 am 
Hi Everyone This weekend I was up around the Gothic Basin area and was thinking about Weden Lake and access. Combing over the internet and searching here on the site I have found virtually no information other than it was stocked with fish in 2014, which seems odd since I dont see much info on access. Does anyone from these parts maybe have info on access? Im under the assumption that there was probably a path in years past possibly related to the mining operations up there but since has been abandoned. Any info would be great. Thanks! Burke

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 12:25 pm 
Is that the lake at the bottom of the waterfall when at the basin area? If I remember correctly, I read that a trail once broke off the main route to gothic basin about half but it has since been reclaimed by nature. Somewhere or another I read about a party searching for and successfully finding it but they had to struggle through some serious slide alder and blow downs to gain the lake. I believe there is also lots of old rusty mining machinery (and maybe a boot) there as well now. Did you make it all the way up into the basin? How is the snow? Last I read on WTA the trail was pretty treacherous with a few dangerous snow bridges and under-snow rivers.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 12:45 pm 
I didnt make it all the way into the basin, turned around with maybe a quarter mile left... too much snow and too steep. If I had boots and an ice axe I would have considered it but i was in trail runners with no real gear for that kinda thing. Some of the creek crossing snowbridges are starting to look treacherous on the way up as well. Thanks for the info on the trail, I had a feeling it would end up being something like that.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 1:21 pm 
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 1:35 pm 
That's the one. smile.gif

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 3:34 pm 
I suggest dropping down the creek from Gothic Basin that drains into Weden Lake. Both the top and bottom have mine adits to visit. There's no decent camping at the lake -- no flat spots that are not boulder-filled. You'll find better lakes other places to visit, but Weden Lake looks really great from Gothic Basin. Foggy Lake looks even better.

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
I suggest dropping down the creek from Gothic Basin that drains into Weden Lake. Both the top and bottom have mine adits to visit. There's no decent camping at the lake -- no flat spots that are not boulder-filled. You'll find better lakes other places to visit, but Weden Lake looks really great from Gothic Basin. Foggy Lake looks even better.
were gonna take our fly gear to see if we can catch some of the monsters in there

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 6:04 pm 
Don’t let them pull you under. Best.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Jun 10, 2019 7:13 pm 
FWIW: I understand that combination of mining activity in that basin and the composition of the ore deposits that the miners were after has contaminated the water with heavy metals. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mbs/recreation/recarea/?recid=17792&actid=24

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 8:51 am 
Kind of like fishing in the Chain lakes above Williams. NOT!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
borank
Lake dork

borank
Lake dork
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 9:15 am 
Hey, let me know if you catch or even see a fish in one of the Chain Lks. Only the biggest one was planted - the last time in 1958 (according to the records) - and none survived.

GC99

GC99
PostTue Jun 11, 2019 6:39 pm 
The water in Weden Lake (as well as the lakes above it) is fine. The only “mine” above it is the upper Del Campo which has very little mineralization. Aside from the Mackinaw down below a good ways, that basin never saw much mineral production