Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowpack depths
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eaglecadd

Eaglecadd
PostThu May 23, 2019 2:24 pm 
Anyone have and good idea what snowpack looks like in ONP this year? What elevations are now mostly snow free? I'm looking ahead to Summer backpacking trips and wondering about water availability in normally fairly dry locations and if snowmelt might be there.

Hike until you Drop!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altersego

altersego
PostThu May 23, 2019 2:59 pm 
As of April 1 they estimated snowpack was at 75% of normal: https://www.instagram.com/p/BvxWH6hA9xK/

yukon222

yukon222
PostThu May 23, 2019 3:24 pm 
Overall snow water equivalent is at 26% of normal as of today for the Olympics. https://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/gis/maps/wa_swepctnormal_update.pdf

reststep

reststep
PostThu May 23, 2019 3:44 pm 
According to the waterhole snotel site there is only 14 inches off snow there as of today. The elevation there is 5010 ft.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 23, 2019 8:49 pm 
Zero snow on Mount Washington (north bend) but Chester Morris Lake appears full. In previous good snow years upper mountain required snowshoes.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brian R

Brian R
PostThu May 23, 2019 9:09 pm 
I can't speak for ONP, but the Clearwater Wilderness and the north part of MRNP is still buried from about 4200' up. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8029577

wolffie

wolffie
PostFri May 24, 2019 11:23 am 
I'm unused to the snotel site. am I reading it right? are snow levels shockingly low this year? I see numerous sites listing the %NRCS 1981-2010 median as "0%". Is that some kind of artifact ? or does it mean that the snow at the instrument sire is totally gone already? I've had a bad year, not getting out much.

Some people have better things to do with their lives than walking the dog. Some don't.
Brian R

Brian R
PostFri May 24, 2019 10:18 pm 
Crystal Mountain just reopened Green Valley for the weekend--the first Memorial Day weekend skiing there since 2011. I'm sorry, but something just isn't right with the SNOTEL reporting--at least in the south part of the WA Cascades.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostFri May 24, 2019 10:50 pm 
I posted a list of data a few weeks ago in another thread. North Cascades are well below normal, South WA Cascades were slightly above, but trending quickly down. On the SNOTEL site, click on a station and then click on comparison plot. At the Waterhole SNOTEL site in the Olympics, for instance, the comparison plot shows that the snowpack in that location peaked at about 84% of normal and is melting out at a rate about three weeks ahead of the norm.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostFri May 24, 2019 11:13 pm 
FWIW Rimrock Lake (US 12 White pass) is about 40 feet low, should be brimming over this time of year.

Mikey

Mikey
PostFri May 24, 2019 11:31 pm 
This winter and spring the jet stream has been taking "our" preciptation south into California. So the California precipitation and snow pack is much higher than "normal".

reststep

reststep
PostSat May 25, 2019 7:59 pm 
WTA Lake of the Angels trip report 2 days ago. https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2019-05-23.5910488547 WTA Wagonwheel Lake trip report from yesterday https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report.2019-05-25.6615234108

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon May 27, 2019 12:22 am 
kbatku wrote:
FWIW Rimrock Lake (US 12 White pass) is about 40 feet low, should be brimming over this time of year.
Rimrock lake did not fill last year either, from what I have seen in the south Cascades snow gets spotty right now at about 4700 feet.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostMon May 27, 2019 10:12 am 
Can I assume Flapjack and Mildred Lakes would be similar to Lake of the Angels?

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
kiliki

kiliki
PostMon May 27, 2019 2:25 pm 
Brian R wrote:
Crystal Mountain just reopened Green Valley for the weekend--the first Memorial Day weekend skiing there since 2011. I'm sorry, but something just isn't right with the SNOTEL reporting--at least in the south part of the WA Cascades.
That says less about Crystal's snowpack than it does about Alterra wanting the publicity. (And it works – – I've seen a number of national skiing websites that talk about Crystal being open on Memorial Day). They piled up and groomed a strip of snow in the bowl, skiers' right, but you have to take off your skis to get from the top of the Green Valley lift to the strip, because there's not snow on top of the ridge. I can remember years where they were open on weekends into summer where they legitimately had a lot of snow – – you didn't have to take your skis off to make a lap. this year I was already seeing bare earth around the base area in March.