Forum Index > Trail Talk > Looking for advice/recommendations for the best loop trip
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 3:38 pm 
I will be flying into Seattle from Indianapolis from 8/21-8/27 and am looking for a great backpacking trip. This community was super helpful while I was planning my trip Spider Gap/Buck Creek trip 2 years ago. That became and still remains my favorite trip of all time. What I’m looking for: Location: Anything within a 3ish hour drive of SeaTac Length: 4 nights/5 days; 10-12 miles a day, and up to 15 miles. So probably the 40-50 mile range. Scenery: What I loved so much about the Glacier Peak trip was the diversity; flower-filled meadows, peaks, lakes, ice fields, pine forests, it had it all. I’d love a trip with similar diversity. I’d also love to camp at one crazy cool site that just elevates the whole trip. Like the sheep camp from Spider Gap loop or the Overmountain Shelter along the AT. Logistics: A loop hike is ideal; point-to-point is not in the cards, and I’m not a big out-and-back fan. I am looking for a hike with a permit that is easy to obtain in advance or doesn’t require one at all. I’d love to do the Copper Ridge Loop, but don’t want to risk not getting a permit the day of, and I don’t have the time luxury to wait until the next day. Options I currently have: Foss-Necklace Loop – only ~30 miles though, what side trips or cool areas can I explore to extend it? Northern Loop Trail – this looks really cool, and I’d probably extend with Spray Park section. But what are the logistics for this hike? Easy to get permits? Do you camp only in designated campsites that need to be reserved in advance? Snoqualmie-Snow Lake-Middle Fork-PCT loop – Its about 60 miles and seems like a ton of up-and-down the whole way, but if its worth it, I’m game Enchanted Valley-Lacrosse (sorta) loop – also topping out around 60 miles and the farthest travel time from SeaTac White Pass-Pilot Ridge Loop Goat Rocks Loop I'd welcome another trip option I haven't mentioned/probably don't know about. Any and all advice, recommendations, etc would be awesome. Thanks so much! Mark

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
altersego

altersego
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 4:03 pm 
Hello, fellow Hoosier! I think you could put in those miles in the Goat Rocks starting at Berry Patch TH and going to Walupt Lake, then back on the 7A trail. We did it but not really 10-12 miles a day. You could hike fewer miles, doing side trips (Heart Lake, up the PCT, etc) to add the extra milage after setting camp. Loowit Trail isn't quite as much mileage, but it's definitely a loop and permitting isn't a big deal. Definitely looks like a challenging, unique hike.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 4:53 pm 
A bit of a guess on my part, but I don't think getting permits for the Copper Ridge loop would be more difficult than Northern Loop at Rainier. Which is to say you could be out of luck for either one, or you might get exactly what you'd like.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 4:59 pm 
Pilot Ridge/White Pass is great, as you know you already dig the Glacier Peak Wilderness. It's well short of 50ish mile range but you could easily add miles by adding a bit of out and back on the PCT. Or starting the hike at Lost Creek Ridge instead (would require approx. 4 miles of road walking either at the beginning or at the end to close the loop)--this is completely dependent on there still being a good log crossing over the White Chuck River where you come down from Lake Byrne, and I can't confirm that currently. Also if you camp at White Pass I would highly recommend a layover day and loop hike along Foam Creek, White Chuck Basin, could even extend it to Glacier Gap on the approach to Glacier Peak, down to Glacier Peak Meadows and a return to the PCT back to camp. Would be pretty easy to get yourself up to 50 miles I think.

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 7:27 pm 
I'll check out the Goats Rocks trails mentioned and the Pilot Ridge/White Pass additions. Great info for sure! Thank you both. Also good to know about the possibility of getting a Northern Loop permit. I wouldn't mind trying for it or for the Copper Ridge loop, so long as I had nearby options for as backup trip. Especially if it’s really worth it to try because the parks and the scenery really are that special, even compared to other areas of the Cascades.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 8:51 pm 
Goat Rocks is Fantastic and a must do. 360 degree views of Adams, St Helens, and Rainer in places. Very popular place in August, suggest mid-week only. August unfortunately is the fire season, so best to have some alternatives. There are some very nice loops north of Mount St Helens in the Mount Margaret area, In the Olympics I’d suggest the Seven Lakes Loop (pushing drive time some).

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostFri Jun 07, 2019 9:31 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Pilot Ridge/White Pass is great, as you know you already dig the Glacier Peak Wilderness. It's well short of 50ish mile range but you could easily add miles by adding a bit of out and back on the PCT. Or starting the hike at Lost Creek Ridge instead (would require approx. 4 miles of road walking either at the beginning or at the end to close the loop)--this is completely dependent on there still being a good log crossing over the White Chuck River where you come down from Lake Byrne, and I can't confirm that currently. Also if you camp at White Pass I would highly recommend a layover day and loop hike along Foam Creek, White Chuck Basin, could even extend it to Glacier Gap on the approach to Glacier Peak, down to Glacier Peak Meadows and a return to the PCT back to camp. Would be pretty easy to get yourself up to 50 miles I think.
This one. Pilots Ridge to Lost Creek Ridge. First night Blue Lake, second night Beakos Creek, third night Camp Lake. Its about two miles of road between where you come out Lost Creek Ridge trailhead and where you parked at the Sauk. Pretty much ridge line the whole time and you go through Kennedy hot springs and by the cinder cone. Not to mention Lake Byrne and that whole area. Ive done the Buck Creek to Spider Gap and this one is pretty close to as great. And the fishing is better. Let me know if you have questions.

none
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 9:50 am 
rxmarcus wrote:
Snoqualmie-Snow Lake-Middle Fork-PCT loop
I did this hike a couple summers ago, although it wasn't great weather at the time (plus smokey). Although there are a lot of ups & downs, I doubt it's any worse than the other hikes you mentioned. No permit needed. A highlight of it for me was the first night's camp at the Goldmyer hot springs (reservations recommended, especially on a weekend). From Goldmyer, I proceeded through Dutch Miller Gap, Williams lake, Lake Ivanhoe, then joined the PCT at Waptus lake. Not at all crowded till I hit the PCT, but even that wasn't bad since I avoided the weekend crowds. The loop terminates at the PCT trailhead near Snoqualmie Pass and then you have about a 2 mile road walk to the Snow Lake trailhead/parking area (I tried hitch-hiking, but all the cars just zoomed past me).

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 11:49 am 
Jordan wrote:
Pilots Ridge to Lost Creek Ridge.
If you do it in that direction, you have to find the trail down from Lost Ridge. The tread is easy to follow to Lake Byrne but then disappears along the ridge and it is not trivial to find it again on the way out. You really want that trail. Maybe somebody has posted a GPS waypoint. If you do the loop the other way, there are no routefinding issues. All you have to do is find Lake Byrne and the trail is on the other side.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 12:32 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
If you do it in that direction, you have to find the trail down from Lost Ridge. The tread is easy to follow to Lake Byrne but then disappears along the ridge and it is not trivial to find it again on the way out. You really want that trail. Maybe somebody has posted a GPS waypoint.
Caltopo shows a dotted trail from Lake Byrne to just past Round lake, then a more formal trail coming down the ridge. Using Caltopo, you could turn this into a geospatial pdf map, then use the free version of the Avenza maps app to follow it. See https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=48.11653,-121.29145&z=15&b=mbt

rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 2:42 pm 
Fantastic info and ideas everyone. It’s really helpful to get some ways to extend Pilot Ridge-White Loop. Route finding tips are always much appreciated too. Goat Rocks continues to intrigue as it’s a different type of scenery. It’s helpful to know that the Snoqualmie Loop probably isn’t too much different in terms of elevation changes than the others hikes. It’s the only profile that I have checked out on Caltopo so far. Thanks again for the input thus far.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSat Jun 08, 2019 2:43 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
Jordan wrote:
Pilots Ridge to Lost Creek Ridge.
If you do it in that direction, you have to find the trail down from Lost Ridge. The tread is easy to follow to Lake Byrne but then disappears along the ridge and it is not trivial to find it again on the way out. You really want that trail. Maybe somebody has posted a GPS waypoint. If you do the loop the other way, there are no routefinding issues. All you have to do is find Lake Byrne and the trail is on the other side.
We did it from Pilots to Lost Creek with only an REI map. The whole thing is quite easy to follow. Getting down to the hot springs and crossing was very easy in multiple places. The trail up to Lake Byrne took about 5 seconds to locate on the other side of the river. I think either way would be no problem with route finding. Although, thinking back now, getting Lost Creek Ridge out of the way first would have been a better idea. It's long and weaves in and out and up and down, frustrating. And since we only had one vehicle we had to hide bikes and ride them up the road back to the Sauk.

none
rxmarcus

rxmarcus
PostSun Jun 09, 2019 8:19 am 
I have finally had a chance to look into this suggested route and it looks amazing! I think the addition of the White Chuck Glacier is fantastic and will add another cool and different element to the hike. I do have a questions: 1. Which direction should I hike it? Clockwise from the Lost Ridge TH, towards Round Lake and Lake Bryne? Or counterclockwise from the Sauk towards Blue Lake? If the Lost Creek bridge/log being out is a potential issue, should I start with that so I don't potentially get stuck hiking out? 2. I would prefer to get the road walk over with on day 1. If I ended the hike with Lost Ridge, is it possible to park there as opposed to the Sauk TH? 3. I love the idea of extending the hike from White Pass to Foam Creek to the White Chuck Basin. Is there a pretty established trail? I found this image from a member of this community on their TR, I assume that this is it?
4. Based on the map image above, should I take the High Route or High Route Alternative back to the PCT? Does it even matter? Thanks so much!

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostSun Jun 09, 2019 9:58 am 
rxmarcus wrote:
I have finally had a chance to look into this suggested route and it looks amazing! I think the addition of the White Chuck Glacier is fantastic and will add another cool and different element to the hike. I do have a questions: 1. Which direction should I hike it? Clockwise from the Lost Ridge TH, towards Round Lake and Lake Bryne? Or counterclockwise from the Sauk towards Blue Lake? If the Lost Creek bridge/log being out is a potential issue, should I start with that so I don't potentially get stuck hiking out? 2. I would prefer to get the road walk over with on day 1. If I ended the hike with Lost Ridge, is it possible to park there as opposed to the Sauk TH? 3. I love the idea of extending the hike from White Pass to Foam Creek to the White Chuck Basin. Is there a pretty established trail? I found this image from a member of this community on their TR, I assume that this is it?
4. Based on the map image above, should I take the High Route or High Route Alternative back to the PCT? Does it even matter? Thanks so much!
I would take the Pilots to Lost Creek Ridge direction. It would be easier to follow the trail to foam basin from white pass and if you are taking the high route back to the PCT it's way easier to follow back down to the PCT than up to the basin. We took the high route on another trip, not the alternate. No bridge I can remember on Lost Creek trail. Just a log at Kennedy Hot springs that is always there and has been for years. Even if its not we could have waded the river when we came through in late august. Parking can be found at both trailheads. The road walk is pretty flat in both directions. It is a long day from Blue Lake to beacos creek the second day. We did the whole trip in four full days without the basin, if you add in The White Chuck Basin I would make it a 5 day trip. That is at least a half day re route.

none
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Jun 09, 2019 11:04 am 
rxmarcus wrote:
3. I love the idea of extending the hike from White Pass to Foam Creek to the White Chuck Basin. Is there a pretty established trail?
From White Pass there is a small sign indicating Foam Creek and a good path to start. Eventually it fairly much goes away. Easy enough off trail rambling, there is a broad saddle to shoot for, then descend into a rocky basin. Climb a bit out of the basin and you are in the headwaters of the White Chuck River with small tarns scattered all around. To make the loop I followed along the outlet from a lake in that rocky basin. It's pretty cool, the terrain is steep and the creek is a nonstop series of waterfalls. Eventually once it levels off I picked up a trail again, which later disappeared. By this point you are along the White Chuck River and it actually looks like a river. Then I angled off to my left, generally aiming in the direction of where I figured Red Pass must be and intersected the PCT soon. Not quite sure on how you would choose to do this as far as logistics but I would say the section of the PCT just north of White Pass is nice, contouring along the shoulder of White Mountain and then hitting Red Pass. I wouldn't want to skip that if you can work it in as well as Foam Creek/White Chuck basin. Here's a couple of my TRs for this area. 2 different trips for me rather than doing it all at once. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8021698 https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8012397