Forum Index > Partners > Mountaineering Class partner?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
OwenT

OwenT
PostMon Jun 17, 2019 11:11 pm 
I'm pretty hopeful to do a mountaineering class this summer as I'd like to start climbing some of the volcanoes and other classics. Problem is I don't really have anyone to do it with. I know plenty of people to go hiking with but none of my friends have the money/time/interest in going much beyond just hiking. Down in Moses Lake since we're not right up in the mountains people don't get into it as much I guess. Anyway I just want to go for it and take a class this summer probably with Pro Guiding or North Cascades Mountain Guides. I wonder if there are any other really young guys out there (I'm 21), or anyone really, interested in doing a 3 or so day course in the N Cascades between Mon and Sat? Maybe just doing a solo class with a the guide would be ok? Anyone else been in this situation? I would just sign up for a group class but none of the planned trips are offerd during the week, they all go through Sunday usually so I'm limited to asking for custom dates, plus I like the idea of maybe moving through skills a little faster than with a bigger group where there may be people with very little backcountry experience.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MultiUser

MultiUser
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 1:32 pm 
Having done the 3 day course with PGS last summer, I'd recommend either doing the 5 day course, or looking into a longer course with the Mountaineers or similar. The 3 day was a decent intro in the 'do I want to do more of this' sort of vein, but was not even close to sufficient for going on and doing something without a guide. The curriculum described is aggressive for the time period allowed. The other advantage of longer classes such as the Mountaineers is meeting others who want to do similar activities. There area also less formal groups on meetup, but very Seattle centered unfortunately.

OwenT

OwenT
PostWed Jun 19, 2019 7:03 pm 
MultiUser wrote:
Having done the 3 day course with PGS last summer, I'd recommend either doing the 5 day course, or looking into a longer course with the Mountaineers or similar. The 3 day was a decent intro in the 'do I want to do more of this' sort of vein, but was not even close to sufficient for going on and doing something without a guide.
Very good to know.