Forum Index > Trip Reports > Climbing Nine Teanaway Summits for 09/09/09 (VIDEO added)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 2:34 am 
  • Date: Wednesday, September 9, 2009 (09/09/09)
  • Crew: yukon222, Happy Jack, GeoTom, Jasper, Soapy, Schmidt Altitude (Babe, Row, Kief, Dude)
  • Summits (in order that we climbed them):
  1. Earl Peak, 7039’ (#34 Back Court 100, #5 Teanaway 20)
  2. Bean Peak, 6743’ (#53 BC100, #9T20)
  3. Devil’s Head, 6666’ (#10T20)
  4. Volcanic Neck, 6660’+ (#11T20)
  5. Mary’s Peak, 6680’+
  6. Judy’s Peak, 6560’+
  7. Bill’s Peak, 6917’ (#40BC100, #6T20)
  8. Teanaway Peak - a.k.a. Gene’s Peak, 6779’ (#47 BC100, #7T20)
  9. Iron Peak, 6510’ (#12 T20)
  • Stats: ~18 miles, ~9500’ gained (GPS had over 10,000’ – altimeter watch recorded 9,469’)
Teanaway Nine map courtesy of yukon222
Teanaway Nine map courtesy of yukon222
Every time the month/day/year lines up in numerical value (for example May 5, 2005 = 05/05/05) there seems to be a discussion about doing something to commemorate the date. Last year we kicked around the idea of doing something for 08/08/08 but the date came around before we had anything planned. Then, on our Enchantment Lakes through-hike last year, we mentioned to GeoTom about doing something on 09/09/09. Tom thought we might be able to climb nine summits in the Teanaway area so we tentatively made plans. A lot has happened in the past year but we kept discussing this trip every so often. Finally the date rolled around and it was time to go for it even though the weather forecast predicted a 60% chance of showers. Dude had arranged to have the day off work but, of course, that didn’t stop them from scheduling him the closing shift the night before so he didn’t get home until 11:30. We ate dinner, finished packing our gear, and decided that there was no point in sleeping for only a few hours so we stayed up until GeoTom picked us up at 4:00 am. We met up with yukon222 in North Bend and then we headed east. Roughly two hours later we arrived at the Beverly Turnpike (Trail #1391) parking lot. We were surprised to see a few vehicles and a couple of horse trailers. The two guys starting up the trail in full camo carrying compound bows gave us a clue as to why to area was so populated in the middle of the week. We had a brief moment of panic when we realized there were only eight of us for the trip but, unbeknownst to us, yukon222 had brought along another friend, Happy Jack. The early morning sun was still blocked by the peaks around us, so we started out with an extra layer against the chill. At the first junction we stayed right onto Trail 1391.1 (Bean Creek) and proceeded northeast under the south slopes of Judy’s Peak. GeoTom told us stories about his geology class field trip in the area (“One time, at geology class . . .”). Just before the trail crosses Bean Creek we made a brief stop to strip our extra layers before enduring the switchbacks that climb up towards the pass south of Earl Peak. At the pass, we could see the eastern sky glowing red (what is that saying about red sky in the morning?). We tackled the steep elevation climb up to the top of Earl Peak and celebrated our first summit of the day as we were greeted by a very brief sprinkling of rain.
Babe meets Happy Jack
Babe meets Happy Jack
Earl awaits
Earl awaits
Squalls in the distance
Squalls in the distance
Colchuck, Dragontail, and Little Annapurna
Colchuck, Dragontail, and Little Annapurna
Sun breaking through
Sun breaking through
Star of the show
Star of the show
Gather round the treat giver
Gather round the treat giver
#1:  Earl Peak, 7036'
#1: Earl Peak, 7036'
After a break, we continued back west down to the ridge that connects Earl and Bean Peaks. We stayed on or near the ridge crest the whole time and saw plenty of evidence that other parties had passed this way before. About halfway between the peaks (a little closer to Bean, actually) we passed a distinctive but lesser known local landmark. Most people know of Devil’s Head and Volcanic Neck, but most people are unaware of the Burly Phallus (Bean + Earl = Bearl = Burly), located just north of the ridge crest. We considered mounting the Burly Phallus but decided that adding a tenth summit of the day would be too over the top. We continued on and climbed up to Bean Peak. There was one spot we needed to help the dogs up near the top but other than that the route was straightforward. Again, a sprinkle of rain came down as we were on the summit but, luckily, this would be the last of the rain we would feel for the rest of the day.
Alti-Dude on Bean Ridge
Alti-Dude on Bean Ridge
Ridge rambling
Ridge rambling
The Burly Phallus
The Burly Phallus
Elusive Kiefer finally takes a decent portrait
Elusive Kiefer finally takes a decent portrait
"I think I need a boost, Uncle Yukon."
"I think I need a boost, Uncle Yukon."
#2: Bean Peak, 6743'
#2: Bean Peak, 6743'
Next, we headed north off of Bean and descended down towards the pass between Bean and Volcanic Neck where the County Line Trail #1226.1 passes through. We continued northerly and traversed under the west face of the Volcanic Neck just below where the cliff bands started before climbing back up to a saddle directly north of the Neck. From there, it was a relatively simple walk out and up to the summit of Devil’s Head.
Little Annapurna, Pennant Peak, McClellan and the Nightmare Needles
Little Annapurna, Pennant Peak, McClellan and the Nightmare Needles
Colchuck and Dragontail rise above Volcanic and Devils Head
Colchuck and Dragontail rise above Volcanic and Devils Head
Closing in on Volcanic Neck
Closing in on Volcanic Neck
Arrival at the Volcanic Neck saddle
Arrival at the Volcanic Neck saddle
Following the ledge around the Neck
Following the ledge around the Neck
Always trying to capture the moment
Always trying to capture the moment
"And that one is Pilchuck." ;-)
"And that one is Pilchuck." ;-)
A boy and his obsession
A boy and his obsession
Dude on Devils Head
Dude on Devils Head
#3: Devils Head, 6666'
#3: Devils Head, 6666'
From Devil’s Head we retraced our steps back to the saddle beneath Volcanic Neck. We knew this would be the most technical climbing of the day so we decided to go up in two separate groups leaving the dogs at the base with one group while the others climbed. GeoTom, Soapy, and Dude went first with the reasoning that if at least one parent was with the whippets they wouldn’t be too obnoxious. It didn’t seem to matter, though, as all the dogs whined, yipped, barked, and howled the whole time they were gone. The route was easier than we were expecting and the dogs probably could of made it, but it was best to be on the safe side. Tom and Dude signed the Mountaineer’s register at the top and came back down. Then it was yukon, Jack and Babe’s turn to go up to another chorus of whippet whines.
GeoTom is ready for some necking!
GeoTom is ready for some necking!
Dude up the gully
Dude up the gully
Here wait the whiny whippets
Here wait the whiny whippets
#4: Volcanic Neck, 6600' Team 1
#4: Volcanic Neck, 6600' Team 1
#4: Volcanic Neck, 6600' Team 2
#4: Volcanic Neck, 6600' Team 2
Once again we had to retrace our steps under and around Volcanic Neck back to the trail we had crossed earlier. We followed the trail down a few hundred feet towards the forested valley below before leaving the trail and traversing southwest under the slopes of Bean Peak. We stayed in the forest and paralleled the ridge that connects Beak Peak to Mary’s Peak. The terrain was surprisingly flat and along the way we passed a nice campsite, a small marshy area, and Aslan’s Altar. Soon enough we were at the base of Mary’s Peak and it was time for the steep climb up to the summit. We were surprised how cold it was on the summit since we’d been sheltered from the howling wind while traversing down in the forest.
Aslan's Altar?
Aslan's Altar?
Easier footing by the cliffs
Easier footing by the cliffs
Wild whippet of the Teanaways
Wild whippet of the Teanaways
Clouds rolling in over Stuart
Clouds rolling in over Stuart
Altitude family takes a break
Altitude family takes a break
#5: Mary's Peak, 6680'+
#5: Mary's Peak, 6680'+
Next, it was time for Mary’s southern sister Judy. According to the map, Judy’s Peak has only 40 feet of clean prominence from the higher Mary’s Peak. However, both peaks are open contour lines meaning their true summit can be anywhere from 0 to 40 feet more than indicated on the map. Plus, the col between them is also open on the map and can be 0 to 40 feet lower than indicated. Add in the 40 feet already indicated and the true elevation dropped and gained between them can be anywhere from 40 to 160 feet. If everyone has ever traversed between these two peaks they will know it is much closer to 160’ difference than the gentler 40’ walk up the map indicates. (True prominence geek speak here, says Alti-Babe).
We were in awe that GeoTom could pick up such a stout beast
We were in awe that GeoTom could pick up such a stout beast
#6: Judy's Peak, 6560'+
#6: Judy's Peak, 6560'+
After visiting Judy we made our way back over to Mary and then followed the ridge that descended northwest down towards Bill’s Peak. About half way down we heard a strange mewing sound. Dude said it was an elk call that didn’t quite sound right so a human probably made it. We continued on and made it to the pass where the County Line #1226.1, Fourth Creek #1219, and Beverly Turnpike #1391 trails all junction. We looked up at the summit of Bill’s Peak, 0.5 miles away and 1300’ above us. Dude, who had been battling nausea and dizziness the whole day, decided to take a nap at the pass with the whippets while the rest headed up. It didn’t take the summit party too long to reach the very windy top where they briefly stayed before heading down.
Talus slopes back to Mary's Peak
Talus slopes back to Mary's Peak
Teanaway color
Teanaway color
Looking back at Devils and Volcanic
Looking back at Devils and Volcanic
Fueled by GU Chomps!
Fueled by GU Chomps!
Ingalls and Stuart
Ingalls and Stuart
"Is this 7 or 8?" asks Alti-Babe (#7: Bill, 6917':)
"Is this 7 or 8?" asks Alti-Babe (#7: Bill, 6917')
Just before the climbing party returned to the junction they heard the whippets barking, presumably in greeting. However, the dogs were barking at the bow hunters that had stumbled upon the napping Dude. We exchanged some pleasant small talk and they admitted to trying out the elk call. They headed off down the Fourth Creek trail while we decided to travel cross-country towards the Iron Peak trail #1399, saving about a half mile and 400 feet of elevation gain/loss. When we crossed Beverly Creek, we stopped to filter some water bottles and then gained the trail on the other side. We followed the trail up to almost the Teanaway/Iron pass before making an ascending traverse north across the east face of Teanaway Peak. We traversed until we came upon an impassable gully (or at least a more-trouble-than-it-was-worth-to-cross gully) passing a few cairns along the way. At the gully we turned left and headed west uphill to gain the summit.
Row and Dude still plugging along, Bill's Peak back left
Row and Dude still plugging along, Bill's Peak back left
Into the light
Into the light
The last peak awaits us
The last peak awaits us
Spotlight on Three Queens
Spotlight on Three Queens
#8: Teanaway/Gene, 6779'
#8: Teanaway/Gene, 6779'
We judged that we might have enough time to make it to the top of Iron Peak before it became fully dark so we quickly made our way back down to Iron/Teanaway pass. From there we followed the well established boot path towards the summit. Each time we thought we had come to the summit we discovered that there was another slightly higher point just beyond. Finally, as Dude was heading to the last point, we found the summit register on the next to last point on the ridge. Dude went all the way out to the last point and though it is debatable which one is higher, the register is on the second to last one. Point 6510 on the map is the last one on the ridge.
Making our final summit bid
Making our final summit bid
#9: Iron, 6516' Take 1
#9: Iron, 6516' Take 1
#9 Take 2
#9 Take 2
Teanaway Power x 9
Teanaway Power x 9
Now we only had about 4.5 miles left back to the vehicles, thankfully all on trail. We trudged our way out playing the Alphabet Peak Game (everyone names a peak beginning with the letter A in order until only one person remains and then onto letter B and so on) to pass the time. We were all surprised how relatively fresh we felt when we finally made the parking lot; we all expected to feel more beat up. Dude was especially peeved that he skipped one of the summits but the nap was probably what made it so he could summit the last two peaks. We headed into Cle Elum and chowed down at the Cottage Café before heading back to civilization.
Day of 9, that's a wrap!
Day of 9, that's a wrap!
**We actually have 99 pictures on our flickr account. Here is the link if you want to look at them all: LINK

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 3:20 am 
What a great day - the poor weather in the forecast never materialized, winds were light enough not to freeze us too badly and the peaks were setup to avoid much backtracking at all. More pics of the adventure:
DSD_4221 Alti-Dude leaving summit of Earl
DSD_4221 Alti-Dude leaving summit of Earl
DSD_4225 Another snag photo ;-)
DSD_4225 Another snag photo ;-)
DSD_4250 GeoTom sizing up Volcanic Neck
DSD_4250 GeoTom sizing up Volcanic Neck
DSD_4281 Teanaway/Gene Peak summit # 8
DSD_4281 Teanaway/Gene Peak summit # 8

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig

Jasper
Cascade Snow Pig
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 7:52 am 
I liked this one on your flickr page:
Rowena tolerating Jasper's presence
Rowena tolerating Jasper's presence
Of course, she got a little intolerant of me a couple hours later. bawl.gif

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 8:10 am 
This report makes me bored.gif (that's supposed to be tired, not bored btw). Nice job, way to capture some new and old Teanaway peaks! up.gif

Opinions expressed here are my own.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 8:52 am 
Nice report and notion. I've managed a threefer on skis (Iron/Mary/Earl), and that was enough to poop me out. You guys are just hitting your stride, eh!? That ridge walk between Earl and Bean is a fun one for sure. I'm impressed that the dogs had no issues - you guys all have "climber dogs" for sure. My bigger dogs would all have had some definite physical and/or mental challenges at a few scrambly and exposed points along that route. So the only time I've done that bit of walking was earlier this season while my wife was off at the shore with the dogs... So what's up for 10/10/10?

GeoTom

GeoTom
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 8:57 am 
joker wrote:
So what's up for 10/10/10?
For me: Throwing 10 frisbees to 10 different dogs while drinking 10 beers. hockeygrin.gif
Quote:
I'm impressed that the dogs had no issues - you guys all have "climber dogs" for sure.
Jasper and I had been in the area several times over the past few years, previously summitting 8 of the 9 peaks on various trips (not Volcanic Neck) so I was pretty confident he'd be ok. The whippets are light enough to lift a short distance if needed, but they're pretty agile too. Here's my flickr photo dump. Nothing much different than what has already been posted, but there was an unauthorized* video:
A few photos so this will show up as a TR on my profile:
A view of where we spent most of our day
A view of where we spent most of our day
I had a snagasm when I walked past this area
I had a snagasm when I walked past this area
On the ridge to Bean
On the ridge to Bean
Bean Peak summit
Bean Peak summit
Fortune, South Ingalls and Ingalls with Not Hinkhouse in front (shaded)
Fortune, South Ingalls and Ingalls with Not Hinkhouse in front (shaded)
Returning to Volcanic Neck
Returning to Volcanic Neck
Funky hairdo
Funky hairdo
Mary's Peak has gone to the dogs
Mary's Peak has gone to the dogs
Snag and man
Snag and man
This is the 'fast' way?
This is the 'fast' way?
Night snag on Iron
Night snag on Iron
Food interests the K9's
Food interests the K9's
*Unauthorized as I was not the official team videographer

Knows literally nothing
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 9:12 am 
Way to clean up out there. up.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 9:20 am 
Next year you have to do 10 peaks on October 10 hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 10:02 am 
Whoa! Joker and Randy, this will go as a spring ski tour hockeygrin.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 am 
I'm in! but reserve the right to pull what I'll call "the dude option" wink.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 10:54 am 
Re: Climbing Nine Teanaway Summits for 09/09/09
Schmidt Altitude wrote:
Next, it was time for Mary’s southern sister Judy. According to the map, Judy’s Peak has only 40 feet of clean prominence from the higher Mary’s Peak. However, both peaks are open contour lines meaning their true summit can be anywhere from 0 to 40 feet more than indicated on the map. Plus, the col between them is also open on the map and can be 0 to 40 feet lower than indicated. Add in the 40 feet already indicated and the true elevation dropped and gained between them can be anywhere from 40 to 160 feet. If everyone has ever traversed between these two peaks they will know it is much closer to 160’ difference than the gentler 40’ walk up the map indicates.
Your crazy math skills are almost as impressive as your adventures! I saw there was some bootlegged vid out there, when is the official studio release of The 9 Summit 9 of 9.9.09?

Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 11:03 am 
Amazing fun day, my knees ached just reading your report!

Sennin

Sennin
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 11:17 am 
Did you watch the move Nine after? epic! Great job!

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 12:02 pm 
You're all crazy. shakehead.gif 12/12/12 is going to be awesome!

dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostTue Sep 15, 2009 12:22 pm 
When Yana and I did Earl/Bean/Mary/Judy in the springtime, we ran into some friends of mine on skis. An idea entered my head....no really! This would make a great ski tour agree.gif Nice job making it to all those summits on foot!

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/