Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Avoiding fireworks noise?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 3:58 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Live someplace where it isn't an issue.  LOL Like me.   up.gif

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

ó Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots

Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jul 04, 2019 7:36 am 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm hopeful that aerial light shows made up of coordinated drones will eventually replace fireworks...

Well, that IS indeed a neat display. However, I seriously enjoy all the noise, the chest thumping explosions (especially the "concussion" works), the visuals, the smoke and the whole affair... when I can watch from a distance. But, one or two nights per year is enough.

The whole annual event serves to remind me of what it is we're remembering/celebrating, and is a elaborate representation of the events of the time. Men were killed and seriously injured so that we, generations later, could become and remain our own country. I do not forget that.

But, having said that, I do understand the OPs position, and I hope he finds a suitable location or solution for the dog(s).

Anyway, that's how I see it.

--------------
"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 8:24 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
Consult with your veterinarian, there are medications to ease the anxiety that results from all the explosions.

Gabapentin seemed to help.  It was Parsley's least horrible 4th of July.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 10:28 am 
^^. Gavapentins good for this. My mom puts her jack russel in a Thunder Coat and slips him a half tablet of Benadryl

Here in unincorporated Snohomish county, the explosions reach the level of a popcorn machine at peak popping and go until the people get too drunk to light the fuses. This morning, the bird chirps are back...

I wonder if expecting the rednecks to operate a drone display would be just asking for more trouble
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
alpendave
Cat Herder

alpendave

Cat Herder
PostFri Jul 05, 2019 7:50 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
I'm hopeful that aerial light shows made up of coordinated drones will eventually replace fireworks - they can be every bit as spectacular as fireworks (if not more so), are relatively quiet, don't require expensive non-reusable materials, and don't cause any pollution.

I have to agree with Moonspots. A light show would totally miss the point. Hell, perfectly legal fireworks misses the point. It is, at its heart, a celebration of rebellion.
With that said, it is unfortunate that some animals are so distressed by it. I wonder if there would be a way to design a portable panic room that could insulate against sound and be set up in a house (or even outside) that would give the animal a sense of shelter.

--------------
Like a ray of sunshine in a drought stricken land.

What we do does far more than what we think others ought to do. Inspiration is a far greater power for good than coercion. In your own life, show others the good that you wish to see in the world.
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 10:26 pm 
Don't get me wrong, I love fireworks! Watching them, setting them off - they are tons of fun. It's just as the years go by I have grown increasingly sympathetic with the plight of animals - both domestic and wild. I don't actually feel as bad for domestic animals as I do wild animals, at least we can take steps to reduce the effect on our pets, but I hate to think about the affect it has on wildlife.

Regarding the whole commemorative/symbolism aspect of shooting off fireworks on the 4th, that doesn't really click for me. Fireworks are certainly part of the tradition, but in a purely recreational sense - similar to the relationship between presents, decorated trees, etc. on Christmas and the actual reason for the holiday itself.

I'd be happy if firework use was restricted to just New Years an the 4th itself, and not allowed immediately before and after the 4th.

--------------
Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:18 pm 
Remember the children, Greatest kid Hollidayís are1. Christmas, you get stuff, 2. 4th of July , you get to blow stuff up ( what could be better than that), and 3. Halloween free candy! All the rest you had to be nice to stupid relatives., or play a part in ridiculous plays. And thatís the way it is.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 7:07 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
It's just as the years go by I have grown increasingly sympathetic with the plight of animals - both domestic and wild. I don't actually feel as bad for domestic animals as I do wild animals, at least we can take steps to reduce the effect on our pets, but I hate to think about the affect it has on wildlife.

Unfortunately a lot of people don't (take all kinds of steps to improve their pets' lives).
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 pm 
A friend of mind from Japan finds the limitations on fireworks to just around the 4th and some cities banning them entirely to be astonishing.   Fireworks are widely available in Japan and very popular in summertime.

But then in Japan they have vending machines that sell beer and cigarettes and teenagers don't buy from them because:  "that would be against the rules".

So maybe people do less stupid stuff with fireworks in Japan.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm 
Well, Roy, I'm just curious how you and your pooch made out, and where you ended up.  Hope you'll check in and tell us.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Avoiding fireworks noise?
  Happy Birthday JVT!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: