Forum Index > Trail Talk > What the hell is going on with Recreation.gov?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 8:08 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Searching for campsite availability for specific dates seems to no longer work.  This has been going on for at least a few months, maybe more.  When you run the search, it simply lists every campground in the state, whether there are any available campsites or not, and you have to click "view details" and then another link to see if there are actually any available.  There used to be a box to check "Available to book online" but it seems to have disappeared.  Obviously I do not have the time to manually click through every effing campground in Washington to see if there are any available sites.  Am I missing something?  Have they hidden a feature somewhere?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
iron
getting old

iron

getting old
PostSun Jul 07, 2019 9:31 pm 
i used the site a week ago for the first time ever and had no problem reserving a site. using chrome on my laptop.

--------------
man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle to resist the urge to punch 'em in the face, and for what?

--- moe sizlack
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 5:43 am 
It's not reserving that's the problem, it's searching.  Were you able to narrow your search to campgrounds with availability on your dates? Or did you already know which campground you wanted?
graffiti

graffiti

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:03 am 
Seems to be working fine for me. I would clear all of my browser info, restart the browser then try again.

--------------
And the meek shall inherit the Earth...um...if that's ok with you.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:11 am 
But how do you narrow a search to only sites available to book? It's not a bug, the feature is just not there. Did you find it somewhere I'm not seeing it? If so, where?
graffiti

graffiti

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:15 am 
I'm in a slow area for internet right now so going by memory but I went to the site, chose the dates I wanted, up popped campsites in my area that had spaces available, when I chose the site I wanted, the sites were shown. I imagine that if you choose a date that has nothing available, then nothing will show. I chose something mid-week.

Quote:
Another useless response

Great way to get people helping.

--------------
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 am 
Not sure if you are on mobile, but fwiw I see that they restructured the search to be map-centric. So if you drag the map around, the results will refresh showing the closest to the position of the map center. The search field kind of lets you narrow down the location if the site recognizes the name you enter - if the site doesn't recognize the name it will try to guess the nearest city match (zip codes work as well) but it's clunky. "Republic" returns matches for some pretender Republic in MO instead of the real Republic WA

Availability is hiding in the "Sort By" dropdown, only displayed at the top of the search results list I think
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:18 am 
"Sort by availability" does not work, seemingly because it includes campgrounds with walkup sites as available.
graffiti

graffiti

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:21 am 
I checked 4 random listings and yes, they all had spots available. But I searched for mid-week so I suppose it could be that almost all sites had something available.

--------------
Hesman

Hesman

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:28 am 
Worked fine for me. On the main page I selected “search camping” then when that page loaded there was a spot at that allowed me to select my arrival and departure dates. Though it looked like if a specific campground wasn’t included in the search along with arrival and departure dates, then all available reservable campgrounds, walk up, yurts, buildings like the Paradise Inn, etc would show in the search results. For example when I searched for Cougar Rock at Rainier, which I knew was a reservable campground, and dates I wanted, it showed what was available.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 7:45 am 
Foist wrote:
"Sort by availability" does not work, seemingly because it includes campgrounds with walkup sites as available.

Hmm I wonder if someone making the site didn't think things through and made walkup availability equivalent to "available" as far as search results/filters are concerned

It looks like you have to do all of the work yourself if you want to find and book specific non-walkup campsites, once you are looking at a campground you will need to click "View by Availability" (below the rates) to see some kind of calendar, showing the individual sites by date and availability type. I think you will need to sift through those calendars looking for the A's, and ignoring the W's and R's. Looks fun!
schifferj

schifferj

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:11 am 
I just did a search for campgrounds washington state. When I did so a map of the entire state opened up on the right side and a list of campgrounds on the left side. I picked one at random for this post which happened to be Money Creek Campground which was close to where I wanted to be. I then clicked on "View Details" and voila - up popped  "view by availability." When I opened that I found that all the reservable spots are booked up but there are a lot of walk ups available.

That is pretty typical of everywhere in Washington State now. Everything is always booked.

I didn't find the process to onerous. Hope this helps.

JJS
Puddles333

Puddles333

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:22 am 
Thank you for bringing up this topic as I was beginning to think it was only me that was having this problem. Been using that site for nearly a decade to search and book sites, then suddenly this year I’m encountering this problem. It seems others above don’t understand the problem you’re describing. Yes, it shows campgrounds that are “available” and you can then click into each one. BUT, what it no longer does is allow you to search the area for ANY campground that has actual spots available for specific dates that can be booked online (like, when you just want to go somewhere, rather than a specific place). You still have to go into each campground secondary page to check true availability. The new system seems to recognize walk-up and ADA restricted sites as bookable online, rendering the online booking search features useless! BUT, even the walk up issue aside, I still get campgrounds listed in search results for dates that I check ‘bookable online’ and then sort by availability and I still get campgrounds returned in the results that don’t actuality have any sites available for the dates I picked!!
So, don’t have any solution or work around for this, but I can confirm this is an issue with the new site, it’s not just you. And it’s extremely frustrating!!
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:34 am 
Thanks!  Seems like people are starting to understand the problem.  I wish they also had a solution but I'll take it!  I've written to the website and they just gave a useless, boilerplate response: "If you have trouble making a reservation online, call us."  I also researched and this new POS website is the product of a new, 10-contract with a new provider.  So I guess we should get used to it!  The new website is so terrible and useless, the government should be entitled to cancel the contract, but of course they won't because they don't care.
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 8:47 am 
Whichever variable they are referencing to distinguish between "A" and "W" in the availability calendar/table needs to get a custom filter that can be applied during searches.

It's possible the site designers considered including this filter, but left it out when they realized the comparatively tiny list of campsites that would be truly available for online booking wink.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > What the hell is going on with Recreation.gov?
  Happy Birthday MountainMan!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: