Forum Index > Trail Talk > What the hell is going on with Recreation.gov?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 9:59 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Yeah exactly.  But what makes this bizarre is that the website used to have that exact filter.  In transferring it over to the new owner/provider, they eliminated it.  So they went out of their way to make the website way less useful.  So obnoxious and infuriating.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 am 
And I have confirmed that the "Sort by Availability" feature does not work because it treats Walk-ups and Availables as both equally "available" for purposes of the sort.  I did a search mid-week and some turned up toward the top of the results with none actually available, and others below that that were available. And after much clicking around, I DID find a needle in the haystack -- a campground with several sites available for the weekend I was searching for.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:22 am 
I think the 'reservable' variable might be the one we're looking for, adding &reservable=true to the end of the search results URL might act as the filter but I haven't looked through the A/W calendars closely enough to be sure. Messing around with https://ridb.recreation.gov/docs#/Attributes/getCampsiteAttributes

In case anyone is curious, Booz Allen Hamilton is the new custodian of recreation.gov according to the terms and conditions @ https://ridb.recreation.gov/ridb-access-agreement, which I have likely violated with my tinkering by now. So no big surprise on the site's warts wink.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
kiliki

kiliki

PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:46 am 
Foist wrote:
the government should be entitled to cancel the contract, but of course they won't because they don't care.

As someone that has worked in government for one of these big land management agencies for quite a while now I can assure you that government workers do know and do care, and that we are constantly plagued by contractors doing sh**ty work for way too much money, usually way more than you'd pay a government employee. But the forces of small government are too big and Congress loves using contractors (especially those that donate to their campaigns) instead of having government employees. I wish I had a suggestion for who might be a point person for recreation.gov but I don't.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 12:07 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
I think the 'reservable' variable might be the one we're looking for, adding &reservable=true to the end of the search results URL might act as the filter but I haven't looked through the A/W calendars closely enough to be sure. Messing around with https://ridb.recreation.gov/docs#/Attributes/getCampsiteAttributes

Hmm, didn't work for me. It just turned up the same list as before.
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 12:34 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Congress loves using contractors (especially those that donate to their campaigns)

Booz Allen Hamilton (the current contractor responsible for recreation.gov) is a perfect example of this model, just making an academic observation wink.gif

kiliki wrote:
a suggestion for who might be a point person for recreation.gov

RIDBAPINotification@recreation.gov is the closest I could find
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:17 pm 
Foist wrote:
Hmm, didn't work for me. It just turned up the same list as before.

Have you tried with a different browser?
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 3:27 pm 
Now I have.  Still same list.
Puddles333

Puddles333

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:54 pm 
New in the past week, I noticed an enhancement (fix, really) that looks like it somewhat addresses this issue. The search results now actually list whether a place has reservable sites or only first come-first serve sites left. Check it out... Iím playing with it now to see if it works better....   <fingers crossed>
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:10 pm 
The Parks Canada websites are also super hard to deal with! Underwent the reservation process for campsites in Banff recently, it was an extremely confusing ordeal. But I persisted!! Exhausted all resources avail to determine which sites were the best and came away with a big internet victory!

--------------
i ALWAYS camp at the upper lake!
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:12 pm 
Oh yeah, trying to plan and book a vacation to the Canadian Rockies is like going into a time warp to 1995.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > What the hell is going on with Recreation.gov?
  Happy Birthday outdoorgirl, wildernessed!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: