Forum Index > Trail Talk > Another Enchantments Question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 3:10 pm 
The time is finally here and my Core permit starts in 1 week. I was planning on hiking for 6 days and want to be prepared. The amount of snow and possibility for bad weather has me nervous. (not nervous enough not to go, just nervous enough to re think my attire) I have been following all of the trip reports I can find for the last 3 weeks or so to be prepared the best I can and most have been really positive. Here was my initial plan for clothing: Wool base layer Down Jacket Rain jacket I can add in my gloves and beanie easily enough and think I will bring gaiters just to be safe. But with the snow I was wondering if I needed something warmer? I have a down vest which is weird to go with a down jacket but would add some warmth with minimal weight. I am also willing to buy a new jacket if needed to make the trip enjoyable. Any advice from anyone who is familiar with the area or who has been up there recently would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Nick

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 3:48 pm 
The lows temps are predicted to be in the 40's with the highs in the 50's later this week. There's plenty of snow on the ground so that's going to affect what you feel. If you get sun it could easily get up in the 80's. It's not much different than your area and what you'd experience up on the Sisters.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 3:56 pm 
Generally, the weather isn't too bad east of the crest. But last week some friends were there and it was snow flurries (which is rare this time of year, but not impossible). I'd watch the weather forecast before your final clothing decision. Definitely bring hat and gloves. It's above 7000-8000' at the top, and those light weight items make a big difference. You can decide on the vest just before you leave. I use my sleeping bag as emergency warm clothing also. If you have short gaiters, that might be handy, but the snow is gonna be hard so you won't need tall gaiters. Here's a link to weather conditions there. Hopefully this accounts for temperature at elevation. Currently it shows Wednesday getting down to 39°, so I think it does. https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxtables/index.php?lat=47.47766152197644&lon=-120.81927537933045&table=custom&duration=7&interval=6

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 4:05 pm 
Thanks for the replies. I feel better knowing snow is unlikely. I was at 6900 in the ochocos this weekend and there is barley any snow. So the trip reports had me a little nervous that I was underestimating the conditions since it is still about 70% covered in snow. But sounds like I should be in fairly good shape as long as I takes some gloves and a beanie to help out. Thanks

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 5:49 pm 
I would check the weather before you go. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-120.80090045928955&lat=47.481596659192945#.XRqpfehKiUk In the map click on the area you want weather for. I always take a light weight Primaloft jacket or other synthetic, Light wool sweater and rain jacket. Put your down in a plastic bag in your pack while you are hiking.

"May you live in interesting times"
gb

gb
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 6:10 pm 
Your big concern should be thunderstorms for the next few days. Watch the weather forecast and pay attention if clouds build and become dark.

DadFly

DadFly
PostMon Jul 01, 2019 10:58 pm 
This looks like a sweet deal! https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/product/156933/craghoppers-compresslite-iii-hooded-insulated-jacket-mens

"May you live in interesting times"
schifferj

schifferj
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 8:12 am 
DadFly wrote:
This looks like a sweet deal!
Until you read the reviews of the jacket on the site! Then the old adage "you get what you pay for" comes to mind.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 7:37 pm 
+1 what Riverside said about using the sleeping bag as clothing if standing around camp morning or evening . If you have a 2 way zipper (that allows venting the foot of the bag) open the bottom enough for your face to be there (looking out). Turn the bag upside down, slither in. You do have to pay attention so that the bag don't drag on the ground. You can either hold that with your hands or take a pants belt (mine are 1 oz.) or cord to loop it up. Goofy looking and warm.

Off trail rambler
willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 9:31 pm 
I have no problem wearing a sleeping bag to stay warm. Warmth comes before style any day. It would not be the first time I did so. And it won’t be the last

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jul 02, 2019 10:42 pm 
I got hailed on, on and off for hours, on Saturday. It's pretty rare this time of year. In general the east is much drier than Seattle, and everything has been getting more dry over time. But you should bring some kind of synthetic insulation. You can keep your bag dry, I mean to wear.

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 4:02 pm 
Is the road between the trailheads accessible to low clearance vehicles? My car gets much better gas milage on the way there but if I need 4 wheel drive the jeep is obviously the better choice.. This is my first time in the area Thanks if anyone can clarify

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostSat Jul 06, 2019 4:36 pm 
Alright. I think I have more clearance than that

willnich
NickWill

willnich
NickWill
PostMon Jul 08, 2019 11:36 am 
Thinking about day hikes for the next week. Anyone know how the peaks look? (Dragontail, Little Annapurna, Enchantment or Colchuck) I was thinking of throwing in microspikes and an axe if they are relatively easily accessible for experienced hikers/backpackers but novice climbers. We will set up camp in the core so it would be without heavy packs which would be nice. Thanks Nick

yukon222

yukon222
PostTue Jul 09, 2019 3:58 pm 
Here's a trip I did thru the a lot of the Core zone, July 6-9, 2008. You should be able to get a good feel for a lot of the area. We camped at Gnome Tarn so we had lots of directions to explore. Little Annapurna is a nice summit; no axe needed. Poles would be fine. Witches Tower is good too. Dragontail - has steep snow. Ice axe would be my preferred tool and possibly crampons if ascending in morning. Colchuck - unless you want to descend Asgard back to the lake and then back up, the traverse from Dragontail over to Colchuck involves a tricky route thru Pandora's box. I haven't done it, but probably more than what you want to do from your description. Enchantment - we didn't need anything ascending from the Gnome Tarn side. Cannon summit is a fun one. As is McClellan. Enchantment Basin tour - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7968348 Colchuck trip - https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967448