Forum Index > Trail Talk > transportation back to trailhead
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mobydog

Mobydog
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 8:03 pm 
My son and I are vacationing in North Cascades National Park. We plan on doing the 23 mile hike from the Cascade Pass trailhead to High Bridge and catching the shuttle bus to Stehekin and staying a couple of days. Rather than hike back to our car, we would like to take the ferry to Chelan on 8/22. Any ideas on how we can get back to our car from Chelan? Has anybody done this before.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 pm 
I've done it the other way, but I lucked out by encountering another party near Flat Creek with space in their vehicle and hiking with them over Cascade Pass. But there is bus service between Chelan and Wenatchee http://www.linktransit.com/routes_and_schedules/intercity_routes/route_21_wenatchee_to_manson_via_entiat.php and from Wenatchee there is both Trailways and Amtrak to Seattle.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 11, 2019 11:23 pm 
Really excellent hike. It's a tour of all the mountain ecosystems the PNW has to offer. I arranged for a friend to meet me in Chelan and drive me back. She didn't realize what she was getting into, and wasn't happy. The shuttle charges, by the way. Not much. Bring $10 or so.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 10:36 am 
However you cut it that's going to be an enormous amount of traveling. Possibly the least logistically complicated and possibly even fastest would be to hike the PCT from High Bridge to Rainy Pass (easy, very gradual uphill 14 miles?) and hitchhike back to your car.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 2:11 pm 
Hitchhiking on route 20 is easy and pretty safe. I've never hitchhiked anywhere in my life and am generally wary of strangers, with one exception, on 20. I spent the day leading up to it being nervous, thinking no one would pick up a big, lone man. I had a ride back to my car within 5 minutes of getting to the road. We spent the drive talking about trails and backpacking food. Most of the people on that road will be fellow hikers, the rest live nearby because they love nature, too.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 8:05 pm 
I would say you have two choices: find another person or group willing to do the same trip in reverse, meet at Cascade pass trail head, they leave their car there, and they drive your car to Chelan. Or, do a nice dayhike from Cascade pass TH, return to your car, then drive to Chelan, visit Stehekin for a couple of days via the ferry.

kiliki

kiliki
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 10:12 pm 
When we do one-way hikes it's with 2 cars. We take this into account when trip planning; sometimes it's just not practical to do a particular one-way hike because of all the driving it would take to drop off and retrieve cars. I've known people that have swapped car keys with friends going the other way. My husband has paid a younger friend who is always looking for sidehustles to pick him up at trailheads, but nothing like what you are looking for.