Forum Index > Gear Talk > Steel is real
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 12, 2019 6:26 pm 
This is probably common knowledge to a lot of folks, but I'm posting for people like me who aren't aware. (I just figured this out recently.) Those double walled, vacuum insulated, free range, gluten free stainless steel water bottles are amazing. I can put ice water in one, leave it in the car in full sun with the windows up, and still have plenty of ice when I get back to the car. Even if that's the next day. They're too heavy to carry on a hike, but most of us probably get back to the car dehydrated. And I enjoy my water so much more with ice in it. They cost about $1 per ounce at REI (64 oz bottle is ~$60), but if you shop around and don't require a brand name, it's about 1/3 that.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 7:11 am 
I make sure never to pass through Bend, Oregon (and other places) without my insulated growlers on hand biggrin.gif

Franco

Franco
PostSat Jul 13, 2019 4:19 pm 
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 1:09 pm 
I use a wide mouth version in winter...nothing like a steaming hot meal of beef stew when your ski buddies are pulling out their fillings with cold Power Bars and Snickers, and washing it down with near freezing water.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 2:15 pm 
Nothing tastes good when drunk or eaten out of metal. Please, Thermos, give us back the glass.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 15, 2019 5:53 pm 
Costco has a two pack for less than 10 bucks a bottle. They are 40 fluid oz each.
Costco has a two pack for less than 10 bucks a bottle. They are 40 fluid oz each.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 am 
texasbb wrote:
Nothing tastes good when drunk or eaten out of metal. Please, Thermos, give us back the glass.
Nothing is more fun than a quart of hot chocolate all over the insides of your pack after a glass thermos has cracked.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:30 am 
Stainless steel has been used for decades and I have never heard anyone complain about any imparted taste from it, until now. I suppose a highly acidic food might react after a long time in contact, but you're not really going to keep food in a stainless vacuum container for more than a few hours.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 am 
I've definitely noticed a metallic taste in the past, particularly with new steel water bottles. I'm not sure if it's just something you get used to or if it goes away over time.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 am 
Tom wrote:
That's a good deal, and 40 oz is a good size. I have one of those bottles, and I paid about $20 for it. Amazon has good prices on larger bottles. If the box says it's culinary grade or "18/8” you can verify with a magnet.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 10:04 am 
Schenk wrote:
I suppose a highly acidic food might react after a long time in contact, but you're not really going to keep food in a stainless vacuum container for more than a few hours.
I've been wondering if it's ok to keep orange juice in these, and my intuition says it's probably not the best idea.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 10:59 am 
Tom wrote:
I've definitely noticed a metallic taste in the past, particularly with new steel water bottles. I'm not sure if it's just something you get used to or if it goes away over time.
The fact water tastes different coming from a stainless steel container is not due to metal actually leaching into the water. This can be quickly verified with reliable sources. here is one quote: " Water from stainless steel tastes different because metal ions alter the pH of the water slightly."

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 12:26 pm 
Franco wrote:
https://www.thermos.com/history
Interesting! I'd love to drive one of these:
And this ...
... looks EXACTLY like the lunch box/thermos my dad took to work every day! *** Sorry for the thread drift! ***

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 11:17 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Nothing is more fun than a quart of hot chocolate all over the insides of your pack after a glass thermos has cracked.
Also, glass and plastic water bottles can act as lenses and start a fire. (Remember burning leaves with a magnifying glass as a kid?) https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/plastic-bottles-in-hot-cars Seems a little far fetched to me to be honest. And it's not like we needed another reason not to use plastic bottles.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:01 pm 
I really like the Ozark Trails insulated tumblers. I gave them to friends for gifts. I also have a small insulated thermosy thing that the Okanogan River Airshed Partnership was giving away. I hope to get another next year. Got several free compost bin things at the same event. up.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities