Forum Index > Gear Talk > kids sleeping bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 9:52 pm 
we have a cheapo full length sleeping bag we used for our daughter while car camping recently. she's almost 3, but pretty tall (like 40"). she liked the sleeping bag and had no problems with the full length. i'm thinking that as our camping becomes backcountry again, it's more practical to just get a used full length down bag for cheap on CL and then let her use that. it's extra material to pack vs a kids' specific bag, but better than hauling a synthetic one. anyone else used this approach with their kids?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostThu Jul 18, 2019 11:17 pm 
A light weight 3-6 year old can’t hike far carrying any significant weight, so you’ll be realistically in Sherpa Mode for quite a while. We used a twin size down comforter inside a duvet cover when our boys were little (slept inside the duvet). It’s more multi-use in that it’s can be used as a regular bed cover too. Lake Hyas is a great short level first destination.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 5:48 am 
InFlight wrote:
Lake Hyas is a great short level first destination.
It can be, but watch out for "Skeeter Creek" it is about halfway in and my daughter was in tears getting through that bug infested section when she was 7 years old. Once you get to the lake side campsites the bugs aren't bad, but the swampy area either side of Skeeter Creek lives up to it's name. If I had brought a headnet for her it would have been less traumatic.

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostFri Jul 19, 2019 1:12 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
InFlight wrote:
Lake Hyas is a great short level first destination.
It can be, but watch out for "Skeeter Creek" it is about halfway in and my daughter was in tears getting through that bug infested section when she was 7 years old. Once you get to the lake side campsites the bugs aren't bad, but the swampy area either side of Skeeter Creek lives up to it's name. If I had brought a headnet for her it would have been less traumatic.
Randy, I'd forgotten that part, but yeah there is definitely a "buggy part" on the trail. Nothing close to the perfectly named Mosquito Valley in the William Douglas, but a good place for Permethrin treated long sleeve shirts, pants, and DEET. I always keep 1 ounce mosquito net in my backpack, worth its price in gold when you need one.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 12:04 pm 
Kids bags all suck, as you've probably noticed. They're big and bulky, even the fancy REI ones. We have an older kid now who can tote his stuff, but we've used basically the approach you mention. They used our old down bags once they were big enough. I've also noticed that it can actually be hard to keep a kid warm in a bag that's too big.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 12:06 pm 
so it sounds like tuck the unused part of the bag below them and overstuff the inside of the bag with puffy jacket.

JVesquire

JVesquire
PostMon Jul 22, 2019 12:22 pm 
Yeah, if it's cold that works really well. We did that in Banff with our oldest when he was five months old.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:18 am 
We wound up getting a small women's BA Fria 15° bag on sale for our daughter. 650 down doesn't pack down as small as 850, but it saved us some money and she's still using it years later. Given that we call her 'the sleep blender' for thrashing around so much, having the pad pocket has been a real help.

~Mom jeans on wheels
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 10:35 am 
Until the child stays 100% dry through the night, I strongly recommend an easily washable and dryable synthetic bag. If accidents are gonna happen, it will be under the stress of backpacking! The synthetic bag will dry quickly when hung in the sunshine and open air. The age of night dryness varies with the child, but for my children and grandchildren, it varied from ages 6 to 9. The notable exception was my daughter who started being dry at night by age 2, before I started toilet training with her (obviously the night dryness was a signal to start!). Every child is different!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
iron

iron
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 10:50 am 
our little girl was sleeping dry through the night before 2, so we're good with her. we'll see on little boy who just turned 6 months.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 11:46 am 
Yeah, the only accidents we've dealt with have been spilling water in her bed, so straight to down it was. Every kid is really different though! Turns out she's never going to be very tall so that bag purchase is probably going to be a one-and-done.

~Mom jeans on wheels