Forum Index > Trail Talk > Anyone have a GPX of the 3 Fingers road walk?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 11:08 am 
I'd love to study the elevation profile of the road. I'm thinking a bike is a good way to the TH, and this info will help me decide what kind. Also if anyone has any recollection of what the road surface is like, I'd love to hear it (to get an idea of what tire width is required). I'm not sure if it'll be this fall or next spring. In either case can I assume I'll have the trail to myself on a weekend? I feel pretty comfortable with locking s bike up at the TH, should I? Thanks in advance! smile.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JPH

JPH
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 11:16 am 
Let's see if this works:
Road was in good shape for the most part. I was on a mountain bike, but a cross bike would have probably been fine. One big washout that you have to hike-a-bike through. Don't remember if I actually had to pedal at all on the return trip. I locked my bike to a tree at the trailhead and didn't worry about it. Some folks had used scooters for ~6 miles or so to the washout instead of cycling. I saw probably 10 or so other folks out on the Sunday when I went to the lookout (not counting the folks shooting their 50 cal at the river with no obvious target).

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 11:35 am 
GPX here
profile (ignore the tiny blips)
profile (ignore the tiny blips)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 1:24 pm 
Thanks, both of you. smile.gif That much elevation gain on the road probably won't work for a day hike. Very glad to know that in advance.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'd love to study the elevation profile of the road. I'm thinking a bike is a good way to the TH, and this info will help me decide what kind. Also if anyone has any recollection of what the road surface is like, I'd love to hear it (to get an idea of what tire width is required). I'm not sure if it'll be this fall or next spring. In either case can I assume I'll have the trail to myself on a weekend? I feel pretty comfortable with locking s bike up at the TH, should I? Thanks in advance! smile.gif
Check a map. The difference in elevation between the bridge at Canyon Creek and the TH at Tupso Pass is fairly steady over the 8 mile stretch - more than I could peddle up, but really not bad. The best reason for even walking a bike up to the TH is the return; a bike will put you back at your can in an hour. Don't recommend skinny tires. Lots of gravel on the road. Last time I was up it (too many years now) it was starting to get pretty brushy in some sections - mainly alder. Don't expect to be alone on a weekend and don't expect snow-free until July. A fall trip would be best. Lots of space to ditch the bike in the trees at the TH. If you can lock up, I would, just because.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 7:52 pm 
We had 30+ pound packs, are in decent shape but not avid mountain bikers, we pushed our biked about 75% of the time on the way up and had to be careful on the return, not to go too fast and lose control after hitting some larger rocks. I still think biking is the way to go, electric would be awesome, but is probably technically illegal there.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.