Forum Index > Trail Talk > First Time At Mt. Rainier
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
archersparadox

archersparadox
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 6:43 pm 
Hi guys, I’m new to the forum. smile.gif So here goes, I was hoping to get some recommendations from frequent Mt. Rainer hikers on the best spots to back country camp, specifically one that has a good view of Mt. Rainier. I’m looking for ultimate solitude. I’m also looking for sort of a secret lake/pond that’s off trail that has a spectacular reflection of the mountain (I know it’s not necessarily easy to get to). I know this information isn’t given out easily, for good reason, but I thought I’d try in hopes someone might tell me. The lake I’m talking about is pictured below by talented photographers Albert Yang and Scott Kranz. I appreciate any information or recommendations you guys can give me. Thanks so much.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 7:31 pm 
Welcome to the site. smile.gif I don't know of any "secret" places. All of them are listed in trail guide books, nwhikers trip reports, WTA trip reports, and are easily found with "Google Earth". Not sure if you'll find reflections of Rainier at Lake Christine, but you might consider that one. There are some pretty fabulous views of Rainier from peaks all around that area and a bit south, but I'm at a loss as far as lakes go. Fabulous views of Rainier from: High Rock, Pompey, Twin Sisters, Cispus, Hamilton Butte. No lakes at any of them. Camping opportunities at Cispus. I've spent many nights on top of Hamilton Butte, but it's cold as hell up there at night even in mid-summer. Others might have better recommendations.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
thuja

thuja
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 7:56 pm 
If you are seeking "ultimate solitude" you won't find it at Mt. Rainier. It's a national park so its heavily used, even in winter and the shoulder seasons. The mountain is also much better off if we stay on the trails. Too many people going off trail leads to resource damage (trampled meadows, social trails, etc). All backcountry camping in the park requires a permit and is limited to designated campsites.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:12 pm 
thuja wrote:
All backcountry camping in the park requires a permit and is limited to designated campsites.
Not true. You can camp in "cross country zones"

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 8:14 pm 
I encourage you to get a map of the park and do some research. Any ridge or high point that's in line of sight of the mountain will have a wonderful view (in good weather). Shriner Peak is one of the best view spots. It has a lookout as well as two established backcountry sites. No water, but in early season there's a snow patch for melting and a stream about a half mile below (which I think may dry up in late season). A permit for camping is required for both established backcountry sites and for cross country zones. Mt. Rainier is not the place to go for "ultimate solitude". However, you have a better chance for some solitude in the cross country zones. Even the backcountry campsites where there are only one or two sites offer decent solitude. You'll find some folks detest the park regulations, but it means people can't camp cheek by jowl in every attractive spot, build fires everywhere, leave dog poop bags wherever they please and annoy you with buzzing drones. btw, that lake is on plain site on the map. Beautiful shot.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Sep 13, 2018 9:29 pm 
FWiW: The photo you posted is from the pond at the base of the Pinnacle Glacier that lies between Pinnacle Peak and The Castle in the Tatoosh range south of Reflection Lake. GPS coordinates are 46.758577 -121.730646. The usual approach is to follow the Pinnacle Peak trail to Pinnacle - Castle saddle and drop down. The NPS takes a dim view of directly approaching from Reflection Lakes as this involves "meadow stomping" It's well within "day hike" distance of the trailhead at Reflection Lakes and as it is an extremely popular area, no camping is permitted. Review the many rules here. https://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/wilderness-camping-and-hiking.htm

archersparadox

archersparadox
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:11 am 
You guys are the best! Thanks for all the great info, I can’t wait to go.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 10:49 am 
You may be a total expert who has climbed Everest for all I know, so forgive me if you don't need to know this, but here is a link to some good info. https://www.wta.org/go-outside/new-to-hiking/backpacking-101/backpacking-101-planning-your-trip Also, you should know it could be snowing above approximately 5000 feet elevation, on and off, from around now, until next June or so.

hbb

hbb
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 11:58 am 
archersparadox wrote:
I know this information isn’t given out easily, for good reason
Sadly, that's no longer the case. Expect company.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 12:48 pm 
Hike the Wonderland Trail which circles Mt. Rainier and gives you an ever changing view /perspective of the mountain. Just don't apply for your permit until I get mine for next year

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:04 pm 
hbb wrote:
Sadly, that's no longer the case. Expect company.
Yep. This place has been discovered by hoards of Instagrammers seeking out the exact same picture that everyone else takes there, it's hardly a top secret location anymore.

AlpineRose

AlpineRose
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:49 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
46.758577 -121.730646
Spoon feed much?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 6:56 pm 
AlpineRose wrote:
Spoon feed much?
lol.gif Hey, it took me about 2 minutes to find it with Google Earth. Easy peasy. archersparadox, as noted above, you may be an expert and already summited Mt. Everest, but if you go up there and become the subject of an SAR mission, bear in mind you will also be the target of ridicule and derision here in yet another SAR bitch thread! dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
archersparadox

archersparadox
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:19 pm 
Lol I’ll keep that in mind. I haven’t summited Mt. Everest but it’s not my first rodeo. I appreciate the article someone else posted, can never be too careful. I searched forever for that lake on google maps I was in the right area but when you switch to satelite it’s covered in snow so I could’nt be 100% so thanks for “spoon-feeding” me lol.gif

nordique

nordique
PostFri Sep 14, 2018 7:39 pm 
So, that first photo: could you fiddle that photo so that the person is vertical? That's one of the first things I do with my photos. It's important to start doing the right thing while you are still young!