Forum Index > Trail Talk > La Bohn to Otter Point w/ Doggo?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tynan

Tynan
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 8:57 am 
Hey there! Here's my first post: Anyone here done the traverse from La Bohn Peak to Otter Point and back down to the Necklace Valley? Is it class dog? Thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mbravenboer

mbravenboer
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:04 pm 
I did this with a dog: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8024955 The route to Otter Point from Tank Lakes does involve some boulder areas and the traverse south of La Bohn Peak has a big boulder field too. Your dog should be comfortable with jumping from rock to rock and balancing (i.e. not falling between them). There is nothing steep though.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 pm 
Some of those boulder field areas would have been very tough for one of my dogs (a 105 pound dog who did quite well on most rough and steep trails but not so well on for instance places like long boulder field stretches), and just fine for a few others (smaller and very high strength/weight ratio and super athletic, enjoying rock scrambling ventures).

Tynan

Tynan
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:46 pm 
Thanks for the info! I was mainly curious because the beta I've read so far says things like "descend between cliff bands" from La Bohn to Otter Point. I've got a ~55 lb. german shepherd mutt. He was still a puppy last summer, so this is his first full season in the backcountry. He's done great on trail, snow, and some steep, shrubby, offtrail hikes, but we haven't done any talus crossings yet. Maybe we'll give it a shot, but have a backup plan should he get nervous.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:51 pm 
You might consider some "test hikes" that let you assess him on scrambly ledges and really boulder and talus filled terrain. If he's hesitant, pay heed. Most dogs will go to extraordinary lengths to follow your lead, including possibly straining or tearing ligaments in the process...

Tynan

Tynan
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 1:53 pm 
Thanks for the advice. Been a while since I've had a larger dog that I couldn't just stuff in my pack should the need arise.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jul 17, 2019 2:24 pm 
Good luck, have fun, and build the dog up to harder scrambles as they need to build strength and body intelligence just like us!