Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seeking some recommendations for less crowded areas in the northern Cascades
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:28 am 
wind river range....that's all ya need to know... hockeygrin.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 8:50 am 
The Selkirks north of Spokane are pretty great too but the Selway-Bitterroot has it all.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:15 am 
In my opinion the most fun backcountry fishing is in lakes. Don't get me wrong, I've had a blast fishing wilderness rivers and creeks but there is something particularly special about high lake fishing. Even in places like the Selway-Bitteroot I've always planned trips around fishing lakes. And the fishing and scenery in the Selway-Bitteroot is fantastic, but quite different from the Cascades. In the Cascades streams tend to, well, cascade and that does not make for very good fish habitat. But all that vertical relief does make for incredibly beautiful lakes that are really fun to fish. And it is called the Alpine Lakes Wilderness for a reason. Another beautiful area not too far from Spokane is the Seven Devils Wilderness. It is a very vertical area so the fishing is all abut lakes, not streams. But that's my preference, anyway. smile.gif As far as going to places that don't get too many people, the general rules apply no matter where you go. Get off trail and you will leave most people behind. Go long distances and you will leave most people behind. I've certainly found exceptions to both those rules, but if you keep them in mind you will be able to plan trips from maps no matter where you go.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:18 am 
The Selway-Bitterroot has it all, but in looking over my topo maps yesterday I was reminded of how darn rugged it is. So I'm back to considering Washington State. I think my criteria at this point are, from order of most important at the top to least important at the bottom: - scenic - not windy (as a fly fisherman I hate the wind) - not "too rugged" but not too wimpy - no large grizzlies - no or minimal wildfire damage - not crowded is preferable but as people have said, we can hike away from it - cooler temps are preferable but not a show-stopper - at least some possibility of hooking some fish is preferable I know, the "ideal" location, but if we can identify a few areas that satisfy most of the bullet points or at least the top ones .... - For Selway, I was looking at Meadow Lake Roadless Area. Looks like its satisfies most of the criteria except it looks rugged if one wants to follow the feeder streams out of the valley. Coeur d'Alene looks nice but a lot of grizzlies. Any suggestions on the western Nez-Perce, and on Washington state?

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:18 am 
forest gnome wrote:
wind river range....that's all ya need to know... hockeygrin.gif
In fact I have driven past there on my way to backpacking in the Sawtooths. Definitely want to hit the Wind River someday but it's too far for this trip (I'm flying into Spokane).
Brian Curtis wrote:
In my opinion the most fun backcountry fishing is in lakes.
I'm definitely amenable to considering lakes. Any suggestions for me?

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am 
Brian Curtis wrote:
And it is called the Alpine Lakes Wilderness for a reason. Another beautiful area not too far from Spokane is the Seven Devils Wilderness.
Do you recommend Alpine Lakes? How's the fishing up there? Seven Devils ..... I'm going to look into this.....

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:31 am 
The Lake Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness Area on the eastern slopes of the Cascades have several lakes that are fishable and the area is very scenic. Oval Lakes come to mind but there are others. There may be moderate usage but nothing compared to the west side of the Cascades, especially if you are there mid-week. Use the search option on this forum to look into some past reports. Near Spokane, the Mallard-Larkins Pioneer Area in Idaho has numerous lakes. Can't speak much for the fishing though. The North Fork of the Clearwater is just below and is said to be good. Very beautiful river.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 10:58 am 
80skeys wrote:
Oh, just looked at a map. Indian Head is quite a drive from Spokane. Might be a bit too far. But the Chinook Pass/Hwy 12 area looks interesting. Looks quite appealing, actually. You sure it's not crowded? It looks pretty close to Seattle.
It looks close to Seattle on the map but what I found to be key is don't stay at the first lake from a trailhead, so no twin sisters Cramer etc, and stay off the PCT. Driving from Seattle to that area is a pain for Seattle folks, cause those trailheads past bumping lake is a long fairly rough gravel road. And white pass is a long drive from Seattle, and if they make that drive they are probably gonna go for the goat rocks. I normally don't see many people in those areas. typically you can find plenty of room, many of those lakes have unofficial bootpaths that are not on maps and will get you to them, if you are comfortable with navigation you will likely get a lake to yourself. Keep in mind not all lakes have fish or have been planted recently.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:29 am 
Selway Bitterroot is more rugged than the North Cascades? By what measure?

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:41 am 
Foist wrote:
I can't say. I've never been in the Cascades, so didn't mean to impliy "more rugged". I've been in the Selway-Bitterroot and I consider the majority of it very rugged.

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:42 am 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
so no twin sisters Cramer etc, and stay off the PCT.
Chinook peak/Hwy12. Was the area affected by wildfires last year, or is it in pretty good condition? Same question for Oval Lakes.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 11:47 am 
80skeys wrote:
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
so no twin sisters Cramer etc, and stay off the PCT.
Chinook peak/Hwy12. Was the area affected by wildfires last year, or is it in pretty good condition?
That area is pretty good the Miriam Fire last year burned some areas near Shoe, Hell, and Ginette lakes south of 12, and the Norse Peak fire ( name might be wrong I was not in the area at the time ) from a few years ago affected the area North of 410, the area between the two has been fire free for quite some time.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 pm 
80skeys wrote:
Foist wrote:
I can't say. I've never been in the Cascades, so didn't mean to impliy "more rugged". I've been in the Selway-Bitterroot and I consider the majority of it very rugged.
I have been to both. You should be prepared for the Cascades being at least as rugged, especially if you are going more off-the-beaten-track like in the Pasayten or Chelan-Sawtooth wilderness areas.

80skeys

80skeys
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:43 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
the area between the two has been fire free for quite some time.
How's the fishing in the area? And the trails you're talking about, are they within the National Park? I can't tell from the map.

hbb

hbb
PostTue Jul 23, 2019 12:57 pm 
80skeys wrote:
Same question for Oval Lakes.
The lake basins themselves were spared, but the usual approach trails from Twisp River Road got hit by the Crescent Mountain fire last summer (it is, however, possible to get there from several other trails). There are several recent trip reports on the WTA website if you want to get a better handle on what traversing the burned-over areas will involve. I would expect the Ovals to be less popular than in past years as a result of last summer's fires, which could play to your advantage.