Forum Index > Trip Reports > White River/Boulder Pass 7/20-7/22
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 3:23 pm 
I've been pretty much all around there, but never actually up the White River trail or to the pass. The first 4 miles to the junction, where it wasn't in the woods, was worse than I was expecting as far as brush. Fairly annoying. I'm sure it gets worse further upstream. Minimal downed logs though, no real difficulties encountered. I was able to get across the 3 segments of Boulder Creek at 6 or 6.5 miles w/ dry feet by rock hopping, 3rd crossing was a bit tricky. The trailhead was about full by midmorning on Saturday but most of the traffic went elsewhere, hardly anybody up where I was. I camped in the basin at 5000'. First backpacking trip of the year for me, it was getting warm as the day progressed and I don't do well in the heat, so I was happy to stop there. The only other person that camped continued on to the pass, so I had it to myself. That valley is gorgeous! Got a fairly early start heading up to the pass on Sunday. Lots of flowers along the way (as well as earlier along the trail the previous day). Chilled at the pass for a while, declined the opportunity to drop down to the Napeequa and then climb back up, also passed on exploring on the shoulder of Clark. Almost all the way back to camp is a fork in the trail, I took the other fork on the way back down. Crosses the creek, then sidehills and climbs up a brushy slope into open meadows eventually. Old sheepherder's trail I believe. Pretty cool. Trail was cruddy in some places, or disappeared a few times, but mostly was in good condition. Eventually gained a ridge crest looking down at the White River. If I would've gone maybe 300 ft. higher on the ridge I'm fairly certain I would've gotten a killer view of Glacier Peak, but it felt sweltering hot to me and I was tired, so I headed back down. I spent plenty of time lounging around by camp both afternoons, trying to hide from the sun. I didn't have a watch with me. I got up near first light on Monday, packed up fairly quick and was on my way. I wasn't moving exceedingly fast, but I got back to my car at 8:45. I was fairly pleased to be done so early. I squeezed in a 3 day trip in a little less than 48 hours. I'll just do a photo dump of some flowers first.
There was a significant patch of sage. I picked some and added it to my instant potatoes for dinner that night, it was a nice touch.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 3:29 pm 
This was perfect for cooling down in the afternoon. About chest deep when I sat down. Draining a small remnant glacier above I believe, so it was "refreshing."

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jul 24, 2019 4:06 pm 
I should add that Boulder Pass was a bit deceptive. I thought I was there at least 3 or 4 times before I was actually there. It was more traversing to the right, and more horizontal distance on close to level ground than I expected. I didn't mind though, because it was thru lovely parkland and it was relatively cool still and I wasn't carrying a heavy load. I also had the privilege of getting to observe I believe a family of Clark's nutcrackers just below the pass. There were 3 of them. I'm assuming the parents and a fledgling. They are usually not very tolerant of people and quickly fly away. I was able to watch and listen to them for several minutes close up. Looked like they were picking seeds or nuts out of some trees. There was a running conversation between what I think was one of the parents and the baby, pretty cute.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 7:23 am 
Does the side trail you found in the basin take you along the ridge crest of White Mountain?

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 10:50 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Does the side trail you found in the basin take you along the ridge crest of White Mountain?
Opposite side of the Boulder Creek valley from there. It's immediately south of the Clark Glacier. The Topozone map I found online doesn't have any named points along that ridge. It parallels the White River.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 12:48 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
This is from the side trail looking across to the ridge Sculpin is asking about. (That threw me off at first, I was thinking of the White Mountain by White Pass) I seem to recall seeing something that looked like a trail over there, although it's not in this photo.
This is looking at the south side of Clark from the side trail.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 1:49 pm 
I used your trip report while planning our recent visit to Boulder Basin and did walk for a short way on the side trail you explored. It was very easy to find. I was curious if you noticed any decent spots to camp up above the basin while you were up there. The handful of camping sites that you first come to upon entering the basin were not that nice, although we did stay at one in the trees the first night. The last night, which was Saturday, Labor Day weekend, all those spots were taken and we backtracked up the trail to the same meadow on the edge of the basin where you camped. This is the best camping site in the entire basin IMO. By the way, very nice photos OlderthanIusedtobe. I would have commented on them a year ago but I was wandering around the Pasayten during that time. smile.gif

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 2:15 pm 
Nancyann wrote:
I was curious if you noticed any decent spots to camp up above the basin while you were up there.
I can't recall anything that looked like an established camp site, but there was plenty of flat ground in meadowy areas. There was a nice creek up there not too far after you break out into the open above the brushy/forested part.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 2:25 pm 
Thanks for the helpful information! Since we didn’t have time to explore that side trail further, we will probably go back for a couple of days to check it out next year, looks lovely!

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 7:51 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
OK, yeah, that looks like my kind of place! Thanks for the response, and thanks to Nancyann for mentioning OTIUTB's TR.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir