Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Constance 7756' 9/11/2020 (via Cunningham pass)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostThu Sep 17, 2020 10:46 pm 
I had been wanting to bag Constance for a few years now and after seeing Aaron's(awilsondc) TR from last year I figured now was a good a time as ever!! I'll spare all the details as he did a phenomenal job already describing the way! borank.gif The route was the east route via Cunningham pass. What always shied me away from Constance was the road walk. Than I read Aaron's report and before then I never even knew it was an option. Thank you kind sir we had no route finding issues at all, thank god! rocker.gif My partners in tow would be Bryan and Hans, surprisingly they didnt hesitate to jump on board! dizzy.gif We knew it would be a long day and it seemed fitting, with Jake being gone I wanted to just grind something out for a while. smile.gif So I picked up the boys and we made our way to the tunnel creek trail around 4am and began our journey shortly after. Didn't see another soul all day not even in the parking lot. We made quick time up to April basin, I think that's what it is called, and soon after slogged our way up to Cunningham pass. This whole little area is pretty badass, cool little basin down low and the pass up high. Sweet little corner of the olys!
first light
first light
red light on the walls
red light on the walls
the 2nd boulder field
the 2nd boulder field
scree slope leading up to Cunningham pass
scree slope leading up to Cunningham pass
bryan comin up last boulder field
bryan comin up last boulder field
scree, Hans, the Nun
scree, Hans, the Nun
the pass
the pass
Bryan and April peak
Bryan and April peak
Hans gettin some choss
Hans gettin some choss
Constance proper from pass
Constance proper from pass
big wall immediately west of pass
big wall immediately west of pass
well let's go get this over with
well let's go get this over with
From the pass we were in awe because of the commanding view you have of the Constance massif! eek.gif On the other hand we were demoralized because we could see how much further we had to go!! bricks.gif Well sh## let's get it over with. We dropped N 400ft or so to get over to our scree slope that would lead upwards W about 1000ft to link up with the regular route. On the way we ran across the 1941 B18 plane wreckage, so f### gnarly, RIP soldiers. The climbing became an all out scree slog, luckily the smoke wasn't bad and the temps were alright too. I found that when the scree got nasty I would stick to the rock walls and it would be more solid there. When we joined the standard route we made the first notch and were still astounded at how far away we still were. huh.gif The route ahead looked intimidating but we knew that there was a way. I had a lot of fun, there were many ups and downs with plenty of route finding! The climbing was fun too, exposed in places and sick views!! We chose the terrible traverse which had no snow to contend with and from there the key ledge was like a walk in the park!! Actually there is quite a long ledge system that traverses the upper part of the mountain and spits you out right under the summit formation. It's crazy that it's just naturally there! rocker.gif Once off the key ledge we aimed towards the east ridge and ascended that to gain the summit proper!
wreckage
wreckage
wing section
wing section
debris field
debris field
prop
prop
choss slope of hell
choss slope of hell
poser lol
poser lol
chossy
chossy
more choss
more choss
choss again
choss again
pt harrah
pt harrah
choss up to the first notch
choss up to the first notch
Hans leads towards notch
Hans leads towards notch
Bryan down low
Bryan down low
almost to the notch
almost to the notch
S from notch
S from notch
Constance from notch
Constance from notch
Hans in notch
Hans in notch
closer
closer
water/snow
water/snow
crossing a gully to get to terrible traverse
crossing a gully to get to terrible traverse
Hans and a goat under the big rock
Hans and a goat under the big rock
key ledge from top of terrible traverse
key ledge from top of terrible traverse
Bryan on TT
Bryan on TT
lookin back at the TT
lookin back at the TT
chossy slopes under the summit formation
chossy slopes under the summit formation
bewilderment
bewilderment
Hans getting to the east ridge
Hans getting to the east ridge
up the east ridge
up the east ridge
slabs and cracks toward the top
slabs and cracks toward the top
finally there she is!
finally there she is!
oh damnnnn
oh damnnnn
knifey traverse
knifey traverse
royal basin, Olympus, and others
royal basin, Olympus, and others
We were stoked to finally be on top! The time was 145pm. We lingered on the peak for 1.5hrs and took it all in! It was nice to get out and get a peak for Jake, I know he would approve! Best of all the smoke didn't really bother us the whole day, we were one of the only clear areas, took that as a good omen! cheers.gif We were all glad to get this old notch in the belt, this route was a suck fest lol! We departed the summit at 315pm and made our way back across the upper traverse. The scree slopes kicked ass going down and we made decent time. Another note is that there is not much water on route above 4200ft. There are snow patches up high though, that's what we used lol. We made it back to the car at 930pm. Another great day to be alive! I love that I can look at Constance now from across the water and say I've been there! Bout damn time lol! Cheers to all!!
cheers Jake!!
cheers Jake!!
boys in their element
boys in their element
downclimb
downclimb
gettin it
gettin it
key ledges descent
key ledges descent
scketch gully crossing
scketch gully crossing
the last bit of the upper reaches
the last bit of the upper reaches
wreckage again
wreckage again
last look
last look
we came, we saw, we got smoked!
we came, we saw, we got smoked!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

IanB
Vegetable Belayer
PostThu Sep 17, 2020 11:39 pm 
Congrats on getting this one! Brings back memories of being up there in September. I know what you mean - I looked at it for a few years before making it to the top. Great photos!

"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little." - Harvey Manning
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 4:39 am 
Good work gents! That's one of the best in the range. rocker.gif

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job

Midnight Slogger
'Schwack Job
PostFri Sep 18, 2020 7:27 pm 
I love the report, Ozzy, thanks for posting. Despite the choss morass I'm intrigued by your and awilsondc's reports. I wonder if anyone has done both this route and the standard from Avalanche Canyon and could weigh-in on their preference. Cheers!

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 1:32 am 
This looks like the route I will want to take, whenever I end up going there. Thanks for the great TR! up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 1:54 pm 
That looks like a good one to get for Jake. Nice work, Ozzy. I always enjoy reading your trip reports!

raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostSun Sep 20, 2020 4:36 pm 
Interesting route choice, thanks for sharing! I had to go back and look at awilson's TR as well. Both helpful reports, nice to have multiple options for a peak

Eric Eames
NBL
West Seattle Based

NBL
West Seattle Based
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 10:00 am 
Righteous. Constance is so high on my list and I'm bummed I didn't make it over this year. Didn't even know of this approach route and thought the only way was the long walk and the root climb up to the lake. Looks like a beautiful crumbly choss pile smile.gif I like watching the snow on the TT shrink throughout the summer from West Seattle.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Sep 21, 2020 6:10 pm 
Getting to Constance summit it a big deal no matter the route. Congrats -- you'll never have to do it again smile.gif