Forum Index > Trail Talk > Grizzlies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
iron

iron
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 11:38 am 
SF: either you're new to the area, or don't recall, but there was a supposed grizzly sighting at cascade pass several years ago. while the bear was later determined to be a black bear (years after the photo), the policy changes which were immediately implemented still exist and have even expanded: https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/backcountry-food-canister-policy.htm https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/monogram-lake (note bear can policy). my issue isn't carrying 1 bear can (which is fine for, what, 3 days of food for a person), it's when you have to carry 2/3/4 of them and possibly have a young family in tow. post a picture of your backpack that carries that load, the size of your quads that show how you're deftly able to haul that up off trail, rugged terrain, and i will humbly bow down to you and will never question your authority.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 11:54 am 
iron wrote:
SF: either you're new to the area, or don't recall, but there was a supposed grizzly sighting at cascade pass several years ago. while the bear was later determined to be a black bear (years after the photo), the policy changes which were immediately implemented still exist and have even expanded: https://www.nps.gov/noca/planyourvisit/backcountry-food-canister-policy.htm https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/monogram-lake (note bear can policy). my issue isn't carrying 1 bear can (which is fine for, what, 3 days of food for a person), it's when you have to carry 2/3/4 of them and possibly have a young family in tow. post a picture of your backpack that carries that load, the size of your quads that show how you're deftly able to haul that up off trail, rugged terrain, and i will humbly bow down to you and will never question your authority.
I will admit that I was not here from 2012 to early 2018 because the military had other plans for me so I may be wrong on the NPS having knee jerk reactions. Also I hike old school to most people with an external frame bag, I can pretty will attach whatever I want and am creative enough to, I recently did 5000+ feet with some class 3 scrambling in the mix with 45 lbs and in one day and could repeat that for another day if necessary. I also am a distance runner. I feel I could probably do a 10 day trek in that area carrying everything I needed, but I would probably be miserable and suffering most of the time I'd guess 😂. If you read my original reply to this whole thread, you will see that I am not of the opinion that we need to put tons of bears in this park immediately. I will also add that I hate when one person asserts there opinion to be more valid than another's. Even if these regulations were to be enforced would you tell an outdoor enthusiast that was wheelchair bound and really wants to be able to see a grizzly on an ADA trail that there opinion is invalid because they don't backpack into the remote areas for 10 days straight? Because while yes I greatly over exaggerated the example, telling anyone there opinion is less valid than your own based on personal feelings ( inconveniences of new rules) is very inconsiderate that is all I'm trying to get you to see.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:24 pm 
So, basically, Iron, you feel that you should not be inconvenienced by bears in their historical habitat? BTW, the IGBC does certify the ursack as a bear proof container. A good bear hang is also effective, and most backcountry campsites in GNP have bear wires that are not expensive to install. Glacier does not allow camping outside of designated backcountry camp grounds in most places but that is to manage people, not animals.

iron

iron
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:32 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
BTW, the IGBC does certify the ursack as a bear proof container.
doesn't matter when NCNP says: HARD SIDED CONTAINER

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:38 pm 
I just got back from a backpack trip to Denali. No shortage of bears there. We took all of the usual precautions - though this time we used hard sided canisters and not ursacks since there weren't any trees to hang ursacks (though we did use ursacks in the Beartooths and Selkirks). Were the preparations onerous? No, not really. We carried separate cooking clothes and lightweight shoes for cooking in, kept a clean camp, etc. And my 8 year old was with us (though we always kept him close). Bear spray was purchased from Costco at Anchorage. Personally, I am in favor of re-introduction and intend to comment thusly. FWIW I doubt if the Montana and Idaho departments of Natural Resources are well funded either but it appears that bears have co-existed with humans there quite effectively. We don't hear of hikers been transformed into bear droppings on a semi-regular basis :-). Secondly, I have a question about having bears enter NCNP "naturally" (based on other comments): Is this even possible? How could a bear from Idaho or Montana make it there (are the uninterrupted corridors for this)? Please treat this as a request for information and not a dig at someone else.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:51 pm 
Glacier National Park is 1583 square miles to North Cascades 1070. Glacier saw 2,965,309 visits to North Cascades 30,085 in 2018. Glacier saw 142,856 nights camped (not including RVs) to North Cascades 26,703 in 2018. Glacier has an estimated 300 grizzlies and 600 black bears. Tell me again why there isnt room in north cascades?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:52 pm 
iron wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
BTW, the IGBC does certify the ursack as a bear proof container.
doesn't matter when NCNP says: HARD SIDED CONTAINER
Rules can be amended and changed.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 pm 
kvpair wrote:
Were the preparations onerous? No, not really. We carried separate cooking clothes and lightweight shoes for cooking in, kept a clean camp, etc. And my 8 year old was with us (though we always kept him close). Bear spray was purchased from Costco at Anchorage.
There is a small population in BC north of NCNP that could, in theory, expand. I think 2 have been confirmed near the border in the last decade?

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 12:55 pm 
KVpair, I have not ventured into BC much but my assumption would be that it is more likely the bears come from the North rather than east. No idea how accurate this map is but it shows BC Cascades North of the NCNP having a threatened population. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/soe/indicators/plants-and-animals/grizzly-bears.html If I am incorrect on this please feel free to correct me, again that was just my interpretation of it. It also is worth noting that wolves have spread from the same area to the Teanaway. I know they tend to spread move more quickly than bears, but I don't think it's impossible for bears to do something similar.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 1:07 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
KVpair, I have not ventured into BC much but my assumption would be that it is more likely the bears come from the North rather than east. No idea how accurate this map is but it shows BC Cascades North of the NCNP having a threatened population. http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/soe/indicators/plants-and-animals/grizzly-bears.html
Thanks a lot for the map, SF. Super useful. When you click on the populations in the map, you get (IMO) ludicrously small numbers north of the border. For example the population estimate for Garibaldi is 2, and the one for North Cascades is 6. That does not provide a lot of credence for significant southward migration sufficient to establish a viable breeding population, does it? The big populations in Canada are further east, in which case a migration into Montana is pretty credible.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 3:16 pm 
Grizzly bears are pretty slow to reproduce. Sows have their first litters at 3 to 8 years old, and the cubs stay with mom for 2 or 3 years. She wont reproduce again until the previous litter is on it's own. Each litter has 1 to 4 cubs That's much slower than wolves that have huge yearly litters.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:13 pm 
Why are there more grizz in glacier? Doesn't seem to be inversely proportional to human visitation?

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
Why are there more grizz in glacier? Doesn't seem to be inversely proportional to human visitation?
Nobody please take this seriously... I think it's because there are nearly 3 million snacks visiting glacier a year 😂

kvpair

kvpair
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:30 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Grizzly bears are pretty slow to reproduce. Sows have their first litters at 3 to 8 years old, and the cubs stay with mom for 2 or 3 years. She wont reproduce again until the previous litter is on it's own. Each litter has 1 to 4 cubs That's much slower than wolves that have huge yearly litters.
So Pahohoe, based on that, it does seem pretty unlikely that we'll get viable grizzly populations in NCNP without introduction, correct?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 5:59 pm 
I'm no biologist, but yeah. That map suggests there are 6 bears on the Canadian side. Are half those bears female? And what about genetic diversity? I would guess that continued habitat improvement and protection from hunting may eventually increase their numbers but it wont happen on any noticable level in our lifetimes..