Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 6:22 pm 
Bedivere wrote:
See, I'm lazy. I admit it. I don't like carrying bear canisters and having to change clothes after cooking a meal, and having to prepare my meals however-many yards away from my campsite. I grew up with the Cascades being a relatively benign environment. I've enjoyed keeping all my clothes together and sitting in front of my tent cooking a pan full of trout in butter & olive oil. There are plenty of places where there are Grizzlies. I went to one last summer. We heard wolves nearby, but never saw any Grizzlies. If the North Cascades of Washington remain, for all intents-and-purposes, a grizzly-free zone I'll be happy.
This is why I want a taco truck in the upper Enchantment basin. Aasgard is a long slog, I don't really want to carry my own food up that endless pile of rubble. But hiking is about visiting nature. It's giving up the comfort and safety of home, accepting nature's terms. Having a healthy population is part of the long term survival of an endangered species. I don't think being lazy anxious in unnecessary recreation is a fair reason to eliminate a species, either locally or entirely.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 6:39 pm 
https://www.outsideonline.com/2387056/grizzly-country

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 7:50 pm 
I could go either way, but i think I overall favor reintroduction. Part of me doesnt want to deal with grizzlies, but a bigger part of me wants them to scare off the hipsters. Introduce em to the 90 corridor, i say.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 7:53 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
I would guess that continued habitat improvement and protection from hunting may eventually increase their numbers but it wont happen on any noticable level in our lifetimes..
I think BC finally just this year has banned trophy hunting for grizzlies.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:03 pm 
Comparing visitation numbers between Glacier and North Cascades is misleading. Vast majority of visitors to Glacier drive through the park and never get far from the road. They have almost no chance of interacting with a bear. North Cascades is different. To my knowledge, the only road that leads into the park is Cascade River Road which very few people take just to see the sights from the car. It's almost all day hikers and backpackers. The only other way to get into the park is on foot. You quote 30,000+ visitors per year. That's a lot of people hiking in the backcountry.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:10 pm 
This isnt really accurate, either. Bears are right up to the roads in glacier and glacier is heavily hiked. Backcountry camp grounds fill up. Did you not see the numbers of nights spent camping? It's all bear country.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:15 pm 
MangyMarmot wrote:
Comparing visitation numbers between Glacier and North Cascades is misleading. Vast majority of visitors to Glacier drive through the park and never get far from the road. They have almost no chance of interacting with a bear. North Cascades is different. To my knowledge, the only road that leads into the park is Cascade River Road which very few people take just to see the sights from the car. It's almost all day hikers and backpackers. The only other way to get into the park is on foot. You quote 30,000+ visitors per year. That's a lot of people hiking in the backcountry.
Not my numbers, but still 142,000 nights camped out not including RV's is way bigger than the 30,000 that NCNP gets. Having been to Glacier I can and will say you don't have to venture far from a road to see a grizz or black bear. Glacier gets way more hiking traffic than NCNP in my opinion, (I have no facts to back this up just my experience) you can be well off the road and still frequently see people in glacier.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:16 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
This isnt really accurate, either. Bears are right up to the roads in glacier and glacier is heavily hiked. Backcountry camp grounds fill up. Did you not see the numbers of nights spent camping? It's all bear country.
Beat me to it

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:20 pm 
Yeah, Glacier is well known as a hiker's park. Anyone who says otherwise doesnt know what they are talking about...

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:39 pm 
This article does a pretty good job summarizing the grizzly situation in the north Cascades. It points out correctly that the last grizzly shot in the area was in 1967. I would take exception, however, with the assertion that there have been some sightings since then. There has been no conclusive evidence of grizzly presence since then. As the author says clearly, she favors grizzly reintroduction. It seems very hard for those in favor of grizzly reintroduction to admit that there has been no physical evidence of the bear's presence in the Cascades in part because a total lack of bears has negative legal and finacial ramifications for bear reintroduction/transplation programs. It's unhelpful to bear biologists and unromantic to believe they are gone. The article mentions the debunked picture from 2010, but then muddies the water about whether it was a grizzly, even though it was refuted by experts and more pictures of the same bear shortly afterward. That picture is like a vampire, it keeps coming back to life. In any case, it's not conclusive. The article also alludes to the huge regulatory framework that would surround grizzly reintroduction (and already does). That scares me. Once actual bears are in the area, and it can be proven in a court of law that they exist and are endangered, who knows what decisions courts will make with regard to backcountry access, ensuring the safety of the bears, keeping people and bears separate, etc. No one can make a promise now that can be kept or predict what some judge will decide in the future. Maybe someone could win a court case excluding people from a vast swath of land while the bears slowly recover over the next decades? No one can say. I will make a prediction here, however. If even only a few grizzlies are introduced, there will be physical evidence that they are out there. There will be sightings, camera shots, hair, dens, etc. All the things that have been missing from the region since 1967 will all of a sudden be commonplace. There will probably be a movie showing the bears happy in their Cascades habitat. There is a simple explanation for the current lack of all these things. Will you accept it? One other issue I disagree with in the article, I don't think adding the north Cascades range is material in terms of expanding the grizzly's overall range and genetic diversity. Yes, it would be noticeable in terms of the lower 48, but it is not significant in terms of the overall grizzly bear population in North America. 200 additional bears isn't going to affect the survival of a species with a population of 55,000. So does the pro argument boil down to simply a preference? The bears don't need the Cascades, but some of us need the bears? It's ok to promote a preference, but when your preference impacts other people in a big way it's normal for it to be contested as a public policy. When folks start to agrue that their preference is really a moral imperative debate breaks down. I've enjoyed the thread so far because a good variety of views have been expressed. For those of you relatively new here, you might be surprised to learn this topic has been debated like a 1,000 times already. Iron was doing a service, though, highlighting that the comment period is back open. You might enjoy reading his trip reports as well. He's done some cool trips in the regions in question. Here's another statistical joke: Did you notice that of total grizzly bear fatalities in NCNP and GNP, 100% have occurred in GNP? I think I see a pattern! Despite the fact the GNP gets more visitors, can it be argued that it is more remote? It certainly has more corridors to further large wild areas.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:55 pm 
Your article is about black bears on the Appalachian trail. I'm not sure how that pertains to griz in NCNP. The National Park Service is required by federal law to conserve and preserve parks but also provide access.... You might want to read the National Park Service Act of 1916... I'm not sure why you think they will shut down the park because there are bears... they dont shut down Glacier...? If people follow the rules that are already in place for black bears, which are more likely to attack humans in a predatory way, the grizzlies wont be an issue. Of course, if belvedere wants to fry trout right in front of his tent, that might lead to his demise, grizzlies or black bears...

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 8:59 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
Bedivere wrote:
See, I'm lazy. I admit it. I don't like carrying bear canisters and having to change clothes after cooking a meal, and having to prepare my meals however-many yards away from my campsite. I grew up with the Cascades being a relatively benign environment. I've enjoyed keeping all my clothes together and sitting in front of my tent cooking a pan full of trout in butter & olive oil. There are plenty of places where there are Grizzlies. I went to one last summer. We heard wolves nearby, but never saw any Grizzlies. If the North Cascades of Washington remain, for all intents-and-purposes, a grizzly-free zone I'll be happy.
This is why I want a taco truck in the upper Enchantment basin. Aasgard is a long slog, I don't really want to carry my own food up that endless pile of rubble.
You're pretty good at the whole false equivalency thing. Never has been a taco truck in the Enchantments, nor anything like it. How you came up with this to bolster your opinion is baffling. Being safe from attack by a large, unpredictable predator is nothing at all like having delicious tacos on tap at 7000'. You're also good at projecting.
Cyclopath wrote:
But hiking is about visiting nature. It's giving up the comfort and safety of home, accepting nature's terms.
Whatever hiking is to you, it may not be the same for others. I'll leave it at that.
Cyclopath wrote:
Having a healthy population is part of the long term survival of an endangered species. I don't think being lazy anxious in unnecessary recreation is a fair reason to eliminate a species, either locally or entirely.
To that first sentence - I agree with Bernardo that this area is not critical to the survival of Grizzlies overall. To that second sentence - This is a strawman. The Grizzlies are not being eliminated, that's already been taken care of in the area in question. If they were there, I would not be in favor of eliminating them. Furthermore, no one said anything about Grizzlies overall, we're talking specifically about the N. Cascades here. As mentioned, I visited Grizzly country last year and took the requisite precautions. It added weight, bulk, considerable expense, and used up precious time on that trip. That's the price of admission to play there. It has not in my lifetime been the price of admission to play here in the N. Cascades and again, I'm perfectly happy with maintaining the status quo for my own admittedly selfish reasons. If the bears come back to the area naturally, so be it. Just please don't hasten the process along.

pcg

pcg
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 9:25 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
black bears, which are more likely to attack humans in a predatory way,...
True, but grizzlies are far more likely than black bears to attack people in a defensive aggressive way, and that's how most bear fatalities happen.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 9:48 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Your article is about black bears on the Appalachian trail.
Thanks for pointing out the bad link, I fixed it. Telling me to read the National Parks Act is pretty condescending and misses my clear point. Neither you, nor anyone who has read the National Parks Act can guarantee what access will look like in the future when laws and policies are conflicting and need to be adjudicated. One thing is certain, however, adding grizzly bears to the environment will reduce access. It's just a question of how much.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostMon Jul 29, 2019 9:58 pm 
The arguments tend toward a comparison between what the grizzly would do and what the hikers would want their experiences to be. I doubt that the twain shall meet: how often do you encounter black bears in the backcountry? Rarely, and they flee immediately upon your arrival. The reasoning for bringing back the grizzly is to restore a former status. I don't think it should mean anything more than that, and if the hiker experiences a new paradigm, well, that is an adjustment to be made. It won't be a major adjustment: the monster will not be lurking. Hell, it probably won't even establish itself because it's sensitive to so many factors. It's that kind of animal. I won't say yes or no to the project because I think it works out well either way but I will say that the result will be a lot less contentious than you may think. A couple of dozen bears? Nah, that's nothing more than a bit of spice added to your trip. Almost nobody has a negative encounter with a bear. Statistics bear that out.