Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Planning vs wildfire...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:25 pm 
Brought this element over here so folks at the other thread could continue forward with other aspects of possible fire issues on the West side...
NacMacFeegle wrote:
As I recall we've also had this argument before..... I only wanted to point out that we need long term planning that would fix the problems that resulted in the need for concern over wildfires. It's attitude's like yours that created this and so many other problems in the first place. Intelligent long term planning helps everyone and hurts no one.
There is other planning too...which you wouldn't like because it doesn't follow your value judgments. Planning hurts everyone who doesn't agree with the plans and has them imposed anyway, and we know this is true, and you know it is, because you will not support the planning being voluntary. You don't own deciding what other people see as harm. Yes, you'd 'fix' some of what you perceive as problems...by introducing new ones you don't have an issue with. Such as forcing a large percentage of people to live where they don't want to live, and to live how they don't want to live. As for attitudes like mine causing these problems, well, yes, no, and maybe. I am not responsible for natural climate variations, which is what we see. And since I do support people's right to decide where and how to live, I guess you can lay protecting their goals and values from yours, at my door as well. My attitude is that other folks are not here to serve your ends, or anyone else's, no matter how numerous, other than those they freely choose to agree with. Much of the rest orbits that point. Innocent people are here to live their lives serving their own ends, wishes and values, not serve you, no matter how noble, or smart, or intelligent you see your ends as. You argue as if pragmatism is value free. It is not. You must have a goal to be pragmatic about. And intelligent is not defined as what you already agree with.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 4:38 pm 
I doubt that there are any professional planners advocating that no one should live in the area King County has defined as "rural".

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 5:02 pm 
Surely you have to realize how ridiculous your idea that planning is somehow injurious to anyone. I think you are confusing harm with inconvenience - inconvenience that is of only short term duration and which accompanies any change "forced" or not. The fact is that your philosophy is precisely that of the pioneer days when resources seem limitless and the forest infinite. Turned out we live in a finite world without those endless horizons, and thanks to that do-what-you-want attitude and a lack of planning current and future generations must live with the consequences. As for "natural climate variations" rolleyes.gif every respectable scientist on the planet would strongly disagree that's what's happening right now. The "freedom" of previous and current generations screwing up our climate and ruining our planet.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 8:14 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Planning hurts everyone who doesn't agree with the plans and has them imposed anyway, and we know this is true, and you know it is, because you will not support the planning being voluntary. You don't own deciding what other people see as harm.
It's understandable why you live in Lyle. But I suspect your opinion about zoning and planning might change if the property owner of one of the parcels next to your property decided to construct and operate a rendering plant.