Forum Index > Trip Reports > Goat Island Mountain/Summerland Loop -- 28 Jul 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 10:27 am 
My advertisement for a day hike with some off-trail travel, but great views, was originally met with four takers, but after a variety of circumstances (dogsitting responsibilities, work, and some MCAT studying) our group was whittled down to 2. It was also possible my reputation for choosing off-the-beaten path destinations was beginning to precede me. In any case, we were off from Seattle around 6 AM, and arrived at the already pretty busy Summerland trailhead at 8 AM. I had my eye on Goat Island Mountain for a while, and getting a good view of it from neighboring Sunrise the previous weekend indicated the snow conditions looked fine for the fabled NE-SW ridge traverse. After a quick warm up (my friend commented that it was pretty chilly to start; I replied not to worry with the climbing ahead of us) along the Wonderland Trail, we reached the base of the obvious NE ridge and began the steep ascent to 5800 ft. As previous reports have noted, the elk trail is more like a highway, and is very easy to follow most of the way up, avoiding any brushy sections or deadfall for the most part.
Standard condition on the East Ridge
Standard condition on the East Ridge
While the way is steep it is efficient! We appreciated heading uphill early in the day and began to break out into broken meadows at 5800 ft. We were immediately greeted by expansive lupine fields, and I was able to give an in-eloquent rendition of “The Hills are Alive with the Sound of Music”. It’s nearing peak wildflower season in the park, and we enjoyed a wide meadow at 6000 ft with lots of lupine and the occasional paintbrush.
Around 6100 ft we contoured south through the forest, dropping slightly to rejoin the elk path and then enter the rocky swale that lies between the two branches of the East Ridge. This report was useful beta for the route, but when we arrived we decided heading straight up the swale would be easier than picking our way through the brush along the second ridge. This worked out fine, with either solid talus or steep heather with nice pumice steps likely stomped out by the local mountain goat population. While we were now in the direct sun, an upslope breeze kept us cool. We reached the top of the slope and the junction between the two east ridges at 10:30 (6700 ft). There is a great view down to the north and a large meadow NW of the summit; we could see a slight blue tinge from all the wildflowers.
Heading up the slope
Heading up the slope
Onto heather, we headed up through the gap right of the bushes at center
Onto heather, we headed up through the gap right of the bushes at center
View down from higher up. We entered this valley near the snow patch.
View down from higher up. We entered this valley near the snow patch.
Looking towards Sunrise
Looking towards Sunrise
Rest of the route up the ridge (not the summit)
Rest of the route up the ridge (not the summit)
From here the way was much less steep, with the summit of Rainier now creeping over the ridgeline. The final climb to the summit is through rather tedious pumice, but the variety of interesting rock formations kept things eventful. The degree of volcanic material reminded me of hiking around the head of the Napeequa Valley, which is at a similar downwind location of a major volcano (Glacier Peak in that case). We arrived at the summit a little after 11, in time for an early lunch. We were greeted with fantastic views of the immediate area, including some impressive waterfalls descending below the icefall on the Fryingpan Glacier. And of course the large and crevassed Emmons Glacier. With good visibility no fewer than 5 Cascade volcanoes were visible from the summit (Baker, Glacier, Rainier, Adams, and even Hood in the distance).
Extensive pumice slopes leading to the summit
Extensive pumice slopes leading to the summit
Adams
Adams
Adams and Hood
Adams and Hood
Rainier from the summit
Rainier from the summit
While the bugs were not a problem at the summit, the breeze was just enough to make it not super comfortable to hang around. By 11:50 we were moving again, along the pleasant ridge traverse to the other summits of the mountain. As we ambled along we saw plenty of evidence the mountain goats like this area, but none in the flesh. We got a good look at the glacial lake below the terminus of the Emmons Glacier, as well as the expansive moraine debris at the head of Fryingpan Creek, which we would need to negotiate later in the day.
Hiking along the ridge. We would cross Fryingpan Creek (at left) later in the day
Hiking along the ridge. We would cross Fryingpan Creek (at left) later in the day
Looking back at Goat Island summit
Looking back at Goat Island summit
Emmons Glacier Lake and Sunrise
Emmons Glacier Lake and Sunrise
Little Tahoma and the Fryingpan Glacier
Little Tahoma and the Fryingpan Glacier
It was not long before we neared the SW subsummit of Goat Island, with an unobstructed view of the massively glaciated NE side of Rainier. I’ve now been to many sides of the mountain but this is doubtless the best view (rivaled only by the view from the top of Third Burroughs). The big advantage of Goat Island being, of course, the lack of other people. The final portion of the ridge offers a number of interesting vantages for the hobby glaciologist, including the meeting of two different colored creeks (gray from the Fryingpan Glacier, brown from the upper Emmons Glacier) before the result cascades into a giant cave of the lower Emmons Glacier. We also ran across a big hole/cave in the ground, which one could lower oneself into as we couldn’t see the bottom. Neither of us volunteered.
Mixing of the waters
Mixing of the waters
Cave in the Emmons Glacier
Cave in the Emmons Glacier
Descending further along the ridge we got a little off track in some krumholtz; it makes sense to stay near or just west of the crest until reaching an area around 6400 ft (there are again numerous goat trails to follow). From here we dropped steeply into another wildflower bloom, this time primarily red and pink varieties of paintbrush.
At the top of the paintbrush meadow
At the top of the paintbrush meadow
We angled to the right, before following a dry creek bed down to the edge of the moraine at around 5900 ft, where we then traversed to Fryingpan Creek. Despite some worries about crossing when looking down from above, it was easy and there were multiple places where one could cross. It turns out a majority of the Fryingpan Glacier melt heads to the west of the spur connecting Goat Island Mountain to the major bulk of Rainier. I imagine the crossing is only difficult earlier in the year. We rock hopped across at 1:30.
Condition of Fryingpan Creek
Condition of Fryingpan Creek
Looking down the creek towards Goat Island Mountain
Looking down the creek towards Goat Island Mountain
Back across the moraine debris
Back across the moraine debris
After a break for the second half of lunch, and a bracing face-splash in the creek, we continued across the outwash around 5900 ft, crossing a smaller tributary of Fryingpan Creek and then entering the subalpine of Summerland. There are a number of nice meltwater creeks one could filter water here, which is nice since the top of Goat Island Mountain is pretty dry and Fryingpan Creek is too silty. Like the other meadows we passed through, Summerland was also heavily in bloom.
Summerland
Summerland
At 2:15 we were back to the trail, and the first people we had seen all day. We did not linger, but the wildflower situation around Summerland is near peak, especially along some of the slopes heading up from Fryingpan Creek and along the trail before we reached the bridge back to the other side. We appreciated the nice gentle grade back to the car; much of this trail is wide enough to walk two-abreast! It was a relatively quick 4 mi and we were on our way back to Seattle just before 4.
Wildflowers on the trail descending from Summerland
Wildflowers on the trail descending from Summerland
A great day trip, and worth waiting for clear conditions. The ridgewalk is one of the best in the area, with some great wildflowers in season as well.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 11:02 am 
Great report and pictures. Thanks for sharing. I am going to have make it up there one of these days.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 3:06 pm 
That's a great loop. up.gif

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Jul 31, 2019 8:56 pm 
Great report. I've done this loop as well with a NWHiker buddy. It was mid-July, 2014 and Frying Pan Creek was a torrent. We had to carefully select the crossing and hang onto boulders as we hopped/waded. Such beautiful country. ~z

williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Aug 03, 2019 10:13 pm 
A classic park hike for sure, enjoyed your photos. I incorporated this transit into the "Grand Tour."

I desire medium danger williswall.com