Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking with broken collarbone bump
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cjg77

cjg77
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 12:05 pm 
I broke my collarbone last August. The doc recommended having it heal conservatively (no surgery). It did heal on its own but I still have a fairly prominent bump on my collarbone. I've been ski touring this winter with a day pack and I do find that the strap rubs, but as long as I have multiple layers on it isn't too bad. I'm worried about summer backpacking where I'll be carrying a larger/heavier pack while wearing less layers. Does anybody have any suggestions for modifications I can make to my pack straps? My PT suggested placing a sheepskin or neoprene covering over my strap to help prevent rubbing or pain. Thanks!

Riverside Laker
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 2:06 pm 
If you put padding on your strap, you want it on either side of the collar bone, not on top of it. In other words, hold the strap up off the bone. Simply padding the bone still puts pressure on the bone.

hikerman77
Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 8:51 pm 
No collar bone but I once had a large cyst on my back right where the waist belt hit. I wound up making and using two doughnut shaped pieces of ensolite foam taped to my back to reduce pressure and friction. Worked pretty well. You could probably do something similar padding the softer areas above and below the bone. Padding on the pack strap instead may move around too much.

Anne Elk
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostThu Apr 06, 2023 9:08 pm 
You could try cinching your belt more, and a bit higher. Then loosen one shoulder strap.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 9:52 am 
One other thought. Memory has some new UL packs featuring broad straps more similar to the wing like designs found on trail running packs than traditional "backpack" straps. I'm thinking anything that spreads the pressure wider might help.

Off trail rambler
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 12:21 pm 
Bruce Albert wrote:
No collar bone but I once had a large cyst on my back right where the waist belt hit. I wound up making and using two doughnut shaped pieces of ensolite foam taped to my back to reduce pressure and friction. Worked pretty well. You could probably do something similar padding the softer areas above and below the bone. Padding on the pack strap instead may move around too much.
Kind of off topic, but did you get the cyst removed? I have a benign one on my shoulder that doesn't seem to be causing problems, but I do have some back/neck pain issues and sometimes wonder if it would be worth removing…

Oldguy

Oldguy
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 8:28 pm 
Something similar. I have a pacemaker and I've been testing a new pack locally to get ready for summer. The spot over the pacemaker has been getting a little sore and I'm looking for ideas on how to pad it. Open to ideas. Even checking on Kotex pantie liners with a sticky back that I could use under my clothing layers as padding. Whatever will work.

Bruce Albert

Bruce Albert
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 10:20 pm 
bccarlso wrote:
Kind of off topic, but did you get the cyst removed?
Yes, but true to form not until it got really big and then got infected. I should have had it removed when it grew big enough to notice. It wasn't going to go away on its own.

hikermike

hikermike
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:10 pm 
A clavicular fracture in a growing child is no big deal and heals back into a normal shape quickly. With adults it can be a little different. The clavicle forms as a result of forces placed upon it and so if these forces remain the same after the fracture in those with a growing bone the fracture will remold and sometimes be undetectable in 3-4 months. (completely healed in 3 weeks, adults may may 3 months). When you see an xray of a broken clavicle you see what may look like two separated ends of bone and wonder how they'll reattach. What you don't see is the periosteum which is a very tough sheath which encases the bone and seldom gets torn. There is bleeding from the broken ends and this forms a hematoma enclosed by the sheath. As the hematoma solidifies, the new bone cells use it as a bridge to fill in the gap between the broken pieces. At first it is just a lump of loose bone cells and new matrix. This is the bone callus. As time goes on, this callus begins to shrink as the bone begins to consolidate into a more compact structure. Since the surface is the periosteum and the periosteum has numerous nerves it is very sensitive..note hitting your shin where there is no overlying fat. It takes 3 months to maybe 3 years for this callus to disappear depending on nutrition and age and activity. High variability between people. It's possible that heavy rubbing over the callus may cause inflamation of the growing tissue and reactive tissue growth resulting in increase connective (scar) tissue or even bone. I would heavily pad this area or try to make a donut to cover it. Listen to your body and if there is no pain it is probably ok. This is all I would be concerned about it should be ok to put full pressure on it as in all activities, by now it should be structurally sound. In 5% of adults, the healing may result in a malunion the result of this is a shortening of the clavicle. This issue has just been realized in the last 10-15 years. Just a few mm can cause problems. The glenoid fossa may be slightly pulled out of its proper angle changing positional pull etc of shoulder muscles. This can also pull on the scapula and cause winging on one side. All of these can cause loss of strength or pain. I doubt that day hikes or hikes of 2-3 days would require anything other than simple padding for comfort. It's section-hiking or thru hiking I would be concerned with. Nobody talks about nutritional factors Re: bony injuries...I might write a post on that.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Apr 07, 2023 11:18 pm 
For future sufferers of broken collarbone: My eldest son broke his collarbone and several ribs (got tossed by a horse and landed hard). He was in considerable pain for about 10 days, until another orthopedic surgeon he consulted recommended surgery. In 48 hours, no more pain from the collarbone (although the ribs still hurt), and he was even able to take part in a Civil War reenactment a week later (as a dismounted cavalryman, without horse)--the 150th Gettysburg, which he didn't want to miss. His younger son (also a reenactor) did the driving while I sat in the back seat trying to finish sewing my 19th century dress (and frequently stabbing myself with the needle in the moving car). In other words, surgery is a good idea, especially if you have to go right back to work (which my son did) or just want to be more active and have less pain sooner!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 08, 2023 6:44 am 
When we were in Ottawa Lynda slipped while trail running and broke her collarbone in 4 places. We had a titanium plate placed but the bump still caused discomfort. After 6 months she had the place removed due to the discomfort. The bubble as she called it persisted. Nonetheless we completed an Oregon section of the PCT with Archteryx Bora 40-55 lb. packs and a lot of pain. I had a custom pack made by Dan McHale for her partially on advice of people here. I got a semi custom Catalyst pack and we bought lightweight gear. We then completed the JMT with under 30 lb loads. Subsequent years we completed other through hikes. The bubble still shows up some time now even but does bot seem to cause any pain.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn