Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Sailing Dinghies
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:22 am 
Last summer I dragged my dad's old Snark/Sears Jetwind out of the RV shed for the first time in ages, scrubbed it down, patched the sail and got her in the water. We did some sailing on the Columbia as well as Walupt lake.( I had a pic linked but it won't post. ) We've been having a blast with this boat and I've learned a lot with it. I really like the large sail area on this size boat, it moves out well. That said, I'm wondering what else is out there that I haven't run across. The drawback of the Jetwind is not only a functional but dated hull, the damn thing weighs 100 lbs and it's a pain to get it on the roof of the 4Runner. Does anyone have recommendations for a car toppable true sailboat (not a canoe or kayak with sail) which seats 2 OK but isn't so damn heavy? Yes I've googled around and seen the sunfish and the modern open backed dinghies, but personal recommendations and takes is what I'm looking for here.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:11 am 
What about getting a "utility trailer" off craigslist or from Home Depot? These are fairly inexpensive and can transport boats like this locally without having to lift it to the roof top. The super cheap ones with small wheels have a 45 mph max speed recomendation, but if your planned usage is local that might be OK. I used to have a drift boat and lugged it around on an old boat trailer that had the V hull supports removed and replaced with carpet covered 2x6s. Registration for that trailer was $12 per year in the "pre Eyman" days when I had it.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 9:22 am 
That's a good idea, but we've been having such fun on the larger alpine lakes like Walupt that I don't want to be limited by concerns about road condition. Which, especially for Walupt, is problematic. It can be done, sure...but I hate towing with a passion.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 10:00 am 
Towing can be a pain for sure. Especially if you need to back up or U-Turn on a narrow road. With a really light trailer and boat like what you are describing, it's a bit easier to detach the trailer and hand turn it and U-Turnn the tow vehicle. For dirt road towing I would want 15 inch wheels, which is a more expensive price point.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 11:30 am 
I see homemade systems for loading heavy and/or bulky items (boats, canoes, lumber, etc.) onto roof racks from time to time. One possible option is to make the back rail/cross bar on the 4-Runner a "rolling" rail/cross bar. A small hand winch can then be added and one can roll the thing up with one person keeping it steady. Boats can also be loaded from the side this way too but finding a way to mount the winch is a little problematic for Do-It-Yourselfer. A couple DIY ideas: https://www.etrailer.com/question-115729.html#/ https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/another-way-to-lift-up-rtt-for-mounting-onto-roof-rack.143617/page-2 I have seen homemade jobs over here on a few rigs and they even make some kits for doing this.
And then there is this idea that I have seen being used to lift and load boats: https://www.walmart.com/ip/360-176-Swivel-Base-Hitch-Mounted-Deer-Hoist-for-2-Class-III-IV-Hitch-Receivers/29303408 Good luck, and have fun on the water!

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm 
Yes I looked at those too! I plan on adding a roller to the back bar on my rooftop rig for now, but the overall issue is the 13' at 110 lbs is just such a general handling issue at all phases. Some of the sunfish hulls are running 50 lbs, which is much better.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostThu Mar 21, 2019 8:57 pm 
I grew up sailing and racing dinghies on Lake Ontario, and Georgian Bay. My Laser always scored high on giggle factor, really fun. Its a real sailboat, with a vang, and a tiller extension, and all the good stuff. For fun, I used to take out a 16', three person racing dinghy, called an Enterprise, solo. A stiff breeze could get your attention real quick, because the Enterprise was not light, and no picnic to right when you dumped her. A Pico is a great 2 man version of the Laser. Its 133 lbs., but its a real boat. Also the new RS Zest. A little heavier, but also tons of fun for 2. Both have a jib to keep your crew busy. You tack a lot, then they wont be on the smartphone so much.

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostFri Mar 22, 2019 4:52 am 
Quote:
Both have a jib to keep your crew busy. You tack a lot, then they wont be on the smartphone so much.
Yes, if smartphones do appear, try a couple of snappy jibes in heavy air to get their attention back on track.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSun Jul 28, 2019 8:38 am 
After watching craiglist, reading up and with luck I found a great deal on a Hunter Xcite 10.
Ok reviews and a way different boat than the snarks I've been learning on. I had a line on a Hobie Holder 12 but it sold before I could snag it. Looking forward to trying it out, starting tomorrow, with 4 days of shore site at Walupt lake. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Xcite