Forum Index > Trail Talk > mosquitos always win, always & forever. :(
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 5:32 pm 
Here is a distressing story from NY Times about skeeters. I guess we won't be rid of them any time soon. Or ever. Link to article: https://outsidemagazine.cmail19.com/t/d-l-pudhuld-cjukhpiy-n/

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jul 30, 2019 6:13 pm 
Mosquitoes in the winds were the worst I have seen since western North Dakota, but the other bugs and flies were very sparse, so a bit of juice and bug jackets kept them at bay. But if you hike there it’s not whether you will get bitten, but how many times. But, lots of bugs usually equates to good fishing.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostThu Aug 01, 2019 4:47 pm 
I find it wierd that there are so many mosquitos out there that seem to be waiting for me to come along. I wonder what percentage of mosquitos come into this world and never find a mammal to bite? I would guess it's well over 99%.

CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 7:01 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
I find it wierd that there are so many mosquitos out there that seem to be waiting for me to come along. I wonder what percentage of mosquitos come into this world and never find a mammal to bite? I would guess it's well over 99%.
I think you're probably correct. If the mosquitoes knew they only had a few days to live maybe they would evolve to pursue more satisfying goals, like mastering an instrument or seeing the Northern lights. This last does not apply to Alaskan mosquitoes.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostFri Aug 02, 2019 10:38 pm 
Well, enough mosquitos reproduce with the way things are(that is, enough mammalian blood) so I don’t imagine there’s much need to evolve differently. Unfortunately. I’d like to know, why the heck do they need to exist anyway. Bats and some birds eat them, but there are lots of other flying insects.... they sure make summer evenings in the mountains not so pleasant. Ok , rant over.

When I grow up I wanna play.