Forum Index > Trail Talk > What Worries You When Hiking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 pm 
I worry about the thing I forgot. Spoon Cup Cookpot holder To name a few.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hikerdood

Hikerdood
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 2:04 pm 
Off-Leash dogs.

neek

neek
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 2:10 pm 
Haha, at least we made it to page 2 (barely) before this thread collapsed.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 5:54 pm 
I worry about running out of gas..me, <usually> not the vehicle.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 8:23 pm 
Things I worry about: 1. Other people (I often hike solo) 2. Disabling injury 3. Trailhead break-ins 4. Angry random animals 2 and 3 I am somewhat philosophical about once I step into the woods, at which point numbers 1 and 4 increase slightly. On being passed: on a not very arduous Sunday low-angle hike in Switzerland, I was passed by people pushing prams and nuns in traditional habits. Days later, having reached a glacier that was a full day's walk from the tiny village far below (I had slept halfway in a mountain refuge), I was enjoying peace and serenity on a high plateau when what to my wondering eye should appear but a woman in full bridal regalia carrying an umbrella, accompanied by a photographer dressed entirely in black and loaded down with equipment. This above the upper Lauterbrunnen Valley, IIRC.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 10:09 pm 
Depending on the circumstances, UV radition affect on skin and eyes, Running out of food, Dying of thirst, Getting heat stroke, Not being able to save partner with heat exhaustion, Falling into crevasse, Falling through ice on frozen lake, Not getting enough sleep to function properly, Lyme disease from tick bites, Hypothermia, Falling off cliff, Rope breaking, Anchor failing, Mouse gnawing on gear, Nasty insect in boot, Getting bit by rattlesnake, Sinking due to swimming too long in cold water Getting crushed by falling tree, Getting hit by falling rock, Poisoined by ivy, Stung by nettles, Attacked by bear or cougar Losing gear, Struck by lightning, Failing to execute self arrest, Stepping on rope, Caught in avalanche, Not being able to start fire in survival situation, All the trees turning red and dying, Not being able to put stakes in ground, Getting impaled by broken tree branch, Losing glasses, Getting robbed by machete wielding bandits, Running out of batteries for my headlamp, Running out of fuel, Breaking a pack strap, Shoe sole falling off, Tearing a hole in my pack, Losing map or compass, Charged by cow, Wandering onto private land, Getting shot at by hunters, Leaving foot prints, Not getting enough salt, Forgetting food at home, Getting stuck behind large fallen tree across road from trail head, Carrying too much weight, Freezing at night, Not using blue bag properly, Hitting rock while glisading, Being blocked by impassible river, Getting cliffed out, Getting soaked by wet brush on cold morning, Fear of missing good view, Fear of missing out on good stuff happening at home, Mount Saint Helen's erupting while climbing.

Joseph
Joseph

Joseph
Joseph
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 10:24 pm 
What worries me now is will I get a decent itinerary for my walk-in permit for the WT (or an itinerary at all). Followed by: will the river crossings have a good bridge (with railing). will the Steven's canyon washout be treacherous. will the good weather hold up.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Aug 04, 2019 11:41 pm 
UFO abduction Stick Indians

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
neek

neek
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 6:34 am 
Goodness, Bernardo, I will never be able to hike again! paranoid.gif If you're worried about low-risk high-consequence objective hazards like St Helens erupting, you should add earthquake-triggered landslides to your list. I do actually often think of what would happen if the big one hit while I'm climbing a big pile o' rocks.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 6:47 am 
yalls worry to much about crap you cant do nothing about..stay home read other peoples reports!

HikerJohn

HikerJohn
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 7:36 am 
I do a lot of hiking alone and it makes me more cautious about log crossings, etc than when I have a buddy. I get slightly worried about car breakins (I don't leave my car unlocked) but I try not to leave anything attractive in my jeep at the trailhead Otherwise? Being so late that my wife calls our SAR (she's threatened to do that a few times...) What doesn't worry me? weather, animals, snakes (thank God I live on the west side!),

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:07 am 
I worry about having to re-enter civilization. Unless I am out for more than a week, all I can think of when I am not moving on the trail is having to go back.... waah.gif waah.gif bawl.gif bawl.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:18 am 
Getting stuck behind some toad going under the speed limit and not using the pullouts on the way home.

neek

neek
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:25 am 
Schenk wrote:
I worry about having to re-enter civilization.
Best one yet!
Waterman wrote:
UFO abduction
Aw, the probe ain't so bad, and it's over quick.
thunderhead wrote:
Getting stuck behind some toad going under the speed limit and not using the pullouts on the way home.
On the way there, yes... but on the way back? I'm relaxed and am probably that toad, heh.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 12:44 pm 
I used to lose sleep worrying about bears getting my food, my trusty bear canister made that one go away. My biggest fear was causing a bear to be killed because of sloppy camp behavior. In this day and age it should be a HUGE fine and a lifetime ban for letting a bear get your food. I carry a full size bear can inside my Zpacks Arc Haul, fits beautifully with room to spare for a 5+ night trip. I'm out there specifically to get abducted! Beam me up Scotty!

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.