Forum Index > Trail Talk > What Worries You When Hiking?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 09, 2019 7:16 pm 
"What, me worry?" is my motto. Weather is the only thing I really worry about. All else is just something to be dealt with if and when it happens. Getting into the mountains and away from civilization is major stress relief because there's really nothing for me to worry about out there. Except, possibly, being in a remote place that required a climb over a steep ridge with lots of rock and loose dirt and having the weather get nasty and trap me there. Almost happened this week, but thankfully my timing was good.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Felpudo

Felpudo
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 11:27 am 
I worry about not bringing enough food. I really stress about it, and have found that bringing way extra is worth the weight penalty to have the ease of mind.

neek

neek
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 5:02 pm 
No need to stress about that. You can go quite a few days without food, and a few might even be good for you, even while exercising (check w/ doc first). I worry about certain partners running out of food though cuz they get hangry!

mosey

mosey
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 9:44 pm 
A little bit of plant ID can assuage this... A lot of things alongside the trail are "edible" and will give you calories and more vitamin C than your usual foods at the expense of tasting like... You guessed it, leaves. A good acceptance of your own mortality is required... I remember feeling squirrelly and turning around to flick my headlamp at odd sounds at night, but eventually you begin to accept the sounds of nature's chaos and prepare for what you can, accept what you can't, and learn the difference.

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 9:17 am 
Ahhh...how can it be all my worries are listed? And reality strikes having fallen and broken my wrist 8 miles from the trailhead..blessed that my hiking companion was able to take some of my load and help with a river crossing (yes i was backpacking)..or another fall..fracturing my orbital bone..7 miles from trailhead and too late to pack up the gear and hike out(next morning helped by friends again)..both accidents, i believe because i wasn't paying attention..so my fear..FALLING..as i too do more solo hiking..and another..being tired and no space at the inn so to speak..hiking has truly changed..gone are the days of being alone out there it seems..and i cherish the time when i happen to be. I have made a spoon when i brought no utensiles..and have also jurrigged my tent when i brought the wrong poles...i says..be creative!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 11:53 pm 
I do worry about lions and tigers and bears, O' my!...I might even purchase my first can of bear spray, or maybe just a bottle of cheap cologne.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 12:12 am 
I give some thought to my truck getting broken into at THs and nut jobs on the trail - things I never gave a thought to when doing solo hiking 20+ years ago. I think it was the Pinnacle Lake murders on the MLH that first gave me pause. And after a serious injury in the 90's I'm a little more circumspect re the potential for accidents, as I learned they can happen even if you're not doing anything overtly risky or stupid. Other than that, no worries!

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:59 pm 
I’m scared of drifting peacefully asleep, when suddenly... ...a little mouse somehow gets inside of my tent, and runs right across my face. This happened to me, several years ago. I screamed! I screamed at the top of my lungs, so loud that I woke up everyone else around the lake, and they screamed very loud as well. Poor lil’ mousey. Probably traumatized for the rest of its short life. So now I zip up my tent real tight when I go to sleep so that the little critters can’t get in. Grizzlies and bears? Pfffft. The chances of meeting them are really small. Mice. It’s mice that we all have to worry about.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 7:31 pm 
My daughters BF while we were camping below Vesper peak had a mouse in his tent as well, but he had a candy bar in there and it chewed a hole in the mesh to gain entry...he screamed nearly as loud as a girl. I had no food in my tent but heard the mice running up and down the outside my tent 'till I finally faded out.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 8:57 pm 
Mice? Pffft. The only wild animals/monsters that worry me are the ones I imagine on still nights.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 10:13 pm 
That's because you never had a mouse run across your face, Mister smile.gif dizzy.gif dizzy.gif

kvpair

kvpair
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:18 am 
I worry about falling on solo hikes. In Idaho/Montana, I am more concerned about griz.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:13 pm 
That the escaped inmate in ONF will emerge into site and there will be a wild west standoff with a very desperate man.

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 4:32 pm 
Whether or not my beer will stay cold.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 8:22 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
That the escaped inmate in ONF will emerge into site and there will be a wild west standoff with a very desperate man.
I was actually hoping he would get away, lol.
NWtrax wrote:
Whether or not my beer will stay cold.
Not a problem if you choose your camp spot thoughtfully..