Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking on 8 mile road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:14 pm 
The trailhead at Lake Ingalls has been getting slammed for years. That's not a good option for diverting would be Enchantment hikers. Parking there is basically the same issue.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:16 pm 
IMO, with the difficulty of attaining a Core Zone permit, plus the fact you have to pay for it, telling people they are SOL if they can't find a parking spot is not okay. Unless they get a full refund for their permit they can't use. That's just ridiculous that it's come to this.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:19 pm 
I think some posters are underestimating how many day hikers continue past Colchuck Lake. Or what day hikers are willing to do in terms of mileage/elevation gain. There are definitely trails on the north side of Icicle Creek that can be day hiked.

contour5

contour5
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:37 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
There are definitely trails on the north side of Icicle Creek that can be day hiked.
Yeah, but how do you get the drone footage of Colchuck Lake from over there?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:44 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Yeah, but how do you get the drone footage of Colchuck Lake from over there?
Need to upgrade to a better drone. Military flies those things remotely from hundreds or thousands of miles away... suuure.gif

contour5

contour5
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 3:55 pm 
Also: if I were trail commissioner, I would reduce the number of parking spaces, and run Fully automated hydrogen/electric shuttle buses from Snow Lake/ Barney’s Rubble to and from all trail heads.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:00 pm 
contour5 wrote:
Also: if I were trail commissioner, I would reduce the number of parking spaces, and run Fully automated hydrogen/electric shuttle buses from Snow Lake/ Barney’s Rubble to and from all trail heads.
That's a workable solution. National Parks do this. There would have to be a big lot somewhere though, Snow Lake isn't enough to handle it. Maybe run a shuttle from in town, but parking space is a problem there too.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:13 pm 
I'd use the money for an automated super whatever, and get a cat up there to widen the road and lot enough to effectively quadruple the lot size. Solved. More interested in what works for the least money.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:18 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
The trailhead at Lake Ingalls has been getting slammed for years. That's not a good option for diverting would be Enchantment hikers. Parking there is basically the same issue.
Four years ago during a fair weather day during peak Larch season there were hundreds of cars parked along the end of the North Fork of the Teanaway River road -- down to Deroux campground. I went elsewhere in the NF Teanaway drainage and saw lots of colorful Larch and just a handful of people. Instagram hikers have a strong drive to replicate shots that other IG hikers/influencers have made previously, hence all the selfies with the mailbox in the background, selfies with Colchuck Lake and Dragon's Tail in the background, etc, etc. So if you don't like hordes and are able to think for yourself, the Instagram effect can also be used to avoid the clustering of the selfie replication folks. I'm glad to see young folks out enjoying the outdoors -- obviously they are doing it in their own way. Posting the no parking signs along the Eightmile road is a not unreasonable management strategy by the USFS -- another approach would have been to add more toilets and a larger garbage dumpster, but if they had go that route, they would likely have to end up paving the trail to Colchuck lake to keep the trail from turning into a deep trough. For weekend hikers going forward, I suspect one will need to head past Bridge creek after dark and sleep in the car to secure a parking spot.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 4:38 pm 
coldrain108 wrote:
I say just remove all safety signs, make it a "it's 100% your responsibility to make it out alive" zone and no more SAR missions, you go to the enchantments you are on your own
There are signs like that in the Entiat and other areas; something-something- “dangers inherent in wilderness travel.” The existence of SAR doesn’t guarantee aid; the problem is that the existence of cell phones and people who grew up thinking the world is at their disposal gives them the perception that aid is guaranteed. Besides, a sign like that would have no effect. Every time someone dies from a collapse in the Ice Caves, hikers continue to go in. Some of them actually trip over the dead girl’s memorial to get in.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:20 pm 
huh.gif What? How many people are calling for aid while traipsing around the Enchantments?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 5:31 pm 
Someone dies on Aasgard every spring or so...

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 6:04 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Someone dies on Aasgard every spring or so...
I think it's less frequently than 1 per year. Those kind of accidents have been happening since LONG before instagram or any other type of social media, or PLB/SPOT devices, probably before cell phones too.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 6:16 pm 
Yeah. That's why I said or so. Some years none. Some years more than 1.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 pm 
contour5 wrote:
This is the best solution, which is why it's not going to happen.