Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking on 8 mile road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Sep 24, 2019 12:38 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I wouldn't consider a 5 mile road walk acceptable, but a lot of people seem to.
See, what you have to understand here is that there is only one hike in the cascades and without that 5 mile road walk, there are NO hikes in the cascades.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Merlin

Merlin
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 6:20 am 
Heyo team. Local FS employee - the main and underlying motives for the restrictions are health and safety - EMS vehicles cannot respond efficiently or at all in some cases and the toilets are unsanitary within hours of being cleaned. Impacts to wildlife and plants are secondary to these issues. That's all I got - just a Tech, happy hiking.

gb

gb
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 6:32 am 
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 am 
Merlin wrote:
Heyo team. Local FS employee - the main and underlying motives for the restrictions are health and safety - EMS vehicles cannot respond efficiently or at all in some cases and the toilets are unsanitary within hours of being cleaned. Impacts to wildlife and plants are secondary to these issues. That's all I got - just a Tech, happy hiking.
Thanks for sharing this. smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:20 am 
Merlin wrote:
Thanks for the response. A familiar bane; Blanca Lake, Mason Lake, and several others suffer the same problem. frown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 10:10 am 
[rant] I kinda get that some people have no clue (or perhaps conscience) about how they handle their feces in spots like the sides of roads and trails and campsites and also that pit toilets have a practical limit to rate of use. But I've been a bit bowled over by the degree of cluelessness or thoughtlessness or both in parking when the truly OK spaces fill up - that people will park in ways that prevent, for instance, any vehicle larger than a SmartCar getting through, even though there are hundreds of cars parked upstream of them. I barely got my Jetta out from one hike a few years ago after some swift individual did a creative parking job after us, and I've seen more than once where full size pickups or vans couldn't get through (and those EMS/ambulance vehicles they bring to SAR staging areas are a lot wider than full size pickups and vans!). Maybe it's a sign of my age and I'm just getting crabby, and I'm not aiming this at any particular generation with the age comment btw, but it sure seems that common sense and contextual awareness are on the decline on average. [/rant] OK, with that out of my system (at least partially ;-) ), from some of the comments about the spillover onto the Icicle road etc. it really does start to sound like something akin to the Zion/Grand Canyon mandatory shuttle regimes may start to make sense up along at least 8 mile road, perhaps save for letting people with a permit get their crew through (just as in Zion you can drive past the closure with a reservation at the lodge). Which of course would require more $ and thus new fees for dayhikers there and higher fees for overnighters. And a huge set of lots somewhere on the edge of Fakegermantown.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 11:37 am 
Along with others, Thank you Merlin for posting. It’s good to hear something about the actual process.

When I grow up I wanna play.
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 12:08 pm 
Why not charge more for passes? That would rapidly cut down on crowd size, while also getting the FS more money.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 3:44 pm 
That would go over like a lead balloon (hey, someone should name a band). But actually a lead balloon would have a better chance. What would be easiest is if everyone would just drop dead en masse. But that’s probably not going to happen so the quickest solution is to enforce parking (laws? Regulations?).

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 4:19 pm 
Merlin wrote:
up.gif Thanks for the communication. It helps to know.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostWed Sep 25, 2019 9:16 pm 
ENP - Enchantments National Park Don’t even have to construct the tourist trap town at the entrance, it’s already there. Entrance booth just off HWY 2, big visitors center and parking lot at the former Sleeping Lady. Shuttles all day along the Icicle. 5 mile back ups at the entrance. Problems solved.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 11:50 am 
Wait, there were practical and commen sense reasons for the parking restriction? But I read here that it was elitist ladder pulling and gatekeeping by evil government minions acting on behalf of super hikers, or something like that. You mean that was all paranoid nonsense posted by haters? Go figure.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 12:53 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I gotta say it. For all of the "blame everything on the millennials" talk...who raised them? Don't they get some of the blame too? Kids don't appear out of nowhere and they don't exist in a vacuum.
up.gif up.gif up.gif

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 12:57 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Are there any other national forest or park areas that you need a permit to day hike into? I don't really see that going over very well.
Mt Jefferson Wilderness has multiple areas that require permits for day hiking. I'm sure there are others. It's a concept that has been shunned by Washington's District Rangers, but Oregon has long embraced it.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Sep 28, 2019 3:14 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Are there any other national forest or park areas that you need a permit to day hike into? I don't really see that going over very well.
I think you are correct; it would not go over well, which is one reason the USFS doesn't want to do that. It's difficult, if not impossible to enforce, and if it was possible, costly. In the 1980's, when they set aside the permitted Enchantments zones, Headlight Basin was part of it. But there wasn't an easy way for the District to patrol it, unless there was a cost share with Cle Elum District. So it was never implemented. Plus they don't want to place limits on access on the land. Agency staff do care about folks enjoying the land. They have implemented permits/limits in certain areas, obviously, but a lot of those areas were placed under a permit system because of public pressure (like The Enchantments). The NEPA process just to get to that point would be expensive. I think it would rise to the level of a higher Environmental Impact Statement, rather than a less intense Environmental Assessment, but I'm not sure.