Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking on 8 mile road
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 9:16 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
contour5 wrote:
Also: if I were trail commissioner, I would reduce the number of parking spaces, and run Fully automated hydrogen/electric shuttle buses from Snow Lake/ Barney’s Rubble to and from all trail heads.
This is the best solution, which is why it's not going to happen.
Your defeatist attitude would be a downer if you were not absolutely correct in your assessment of the zeitgeist. The shuttle system is a no-brainer, though I don't know who's going to pay for it. I find shuttle systems, in all contexts, to be convenient and obviously correct. They just need to be reliable and people will catch on and embrace them.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 9:30 pm 
I think it could be self supporting, especially if parking spots were reservable so the days it was needed could be planned... Make it a little cheaper than a parking spot. It would need to start somewhere with a big enough lot, but could drop and pick at snow lakes th for people doing the loop that way.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Sep 16, 2019 10:10 pm 
If parking spots are by reservation, people will poach them. What happens when you show up on permit day and somebody is in your spot?

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 5:45 am 
I believe there have been 3 deaths on Aasgard pass in the last 10 or more years.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 6:30 am 
Big tickets, towed vehicles. Towing companies get paid by the owner of the car in these cases. I doubt it would have to happen often, just enough for word to get out that they were serious. The fees for the spots could also go to the management of the parking lot. I guess the other option is building more parking.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 8:52 am 
CarriesNineFires wrote:
The shuttle system is a no-brainer,
Reading the comments from non-users of King County's Trailhead Direct service, it is not a no-brainer. A lot of delicate people don’t like the idea of being in a bus with icky-poo sweaty hikers, having to wait an extra 15 minutes for the next shuttle, and general nay-sayer bullsh##. On the other hand, they could just suck it up or go elsewhere, the naysayers. But the USFS isn't equipped for this kind of thing anyway; it'd take decades of studies and thinking on it before a decision is made, and by then it'd be time for new studies.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 9:00 am 
The shuttle would not have to be operated (or even sanctioned) by USFS, would it? Sounds like an opportunity for some enterprising person who owns an empty lot somewhere in the Leavenworth vicinity.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 9:13 am 
The general naysayer *#!!!! is perfectly legitimate. Shuttles suck.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 9:42 am 
Not arguing the need for a shuttle, but I can appreciate some down-sides: no more starting out on the trail at the crack of dark, and everybody showing up at the TH in periodic large groups. Hey! Let's all hike together! What fun! huh.gif I'd be looking for a local contact I could pay who would drive me to the TH when I want to start.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 10:23 am 
I wonder if Lyft and Uber drivers are taking advantage of the new parking rules and lurking about Bridge creek on weekend mornings and the trailhead weekend afternoons.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 10:32 am 
There are currently at least two shuttle options available: http://www.leavenworthshuttle.com/Trailheads.html https://loopconnectorshuttle.com/

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 10:37 am 
Yes, shuttles are available if people want them. The idea is that the USFS make shuttling to certain trailheads/roads mandatory; this would require federal funding, and as a result - public input.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
neek

neek
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 10:37 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Not arguing the need for a shuttle, but I can appreciate some down-sides: no more starting out on the trail at the crack of dark, and everybody showing up at the TH in periodic large groups. Hey! Let's all hike together! What fun! huh.gif I'd be looking for a local contact I could pay who would drive me to the TH when I want to start.
I'd be happy to take your money, but it wouldn't be necessary. The largest Shuttle Direct bus has 27 seats. People naturally sort themselves by pace very quickly. You can tell just by looking at someone whether you're going to be faster, and if you're wrong it's easy enough to adjust, especially at the beginning of trails which are usually wider. Within a few minutes you're out of visual distance. Also some people are going to be chomping the bit to get going and others will spend 10 minutes futzing with gear, stretching, trying desperately to get cell reception, etc. I think the (frequent and affordable) shuttle idea is reasonable, especially for this hike where most people are doing the whole loop and need to find a way to get between trailheads anyway. Yet many grossly underestimate the time it's going to take, so I dunno what they would do about the stragglers who finally get down at 5am smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 10:39 am 
neek wrote:
Yet many grossly underestimate the time it's going to take, so I dunno what they would do about the stragglers who finally get down at 5am smile.gif
Not their problem. Stragglers can just sit & wait til the next shuttle. up.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Sep 17, 2019 11:01 am 
HitTheTrail wrote:
There are currently at least two shuttle options available: http://www.leavenworthshuttle.com/Trailheads.html https://loopconnectorshuttle.com/
And there you go, the non mandatory shuttle solution for shuttlephiles. Which allows *both* private driving and shuttlephiles to choose their solution, and without locking out one or the other from their preferred access. Other than the obvious proper solution of more parking for fee paying taxpayers to access their trailhead in the manner they personally prefer, this is an acceptable second best. Life needs less mandatory, not more.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers