Forum Index > Trail Talk > Very sad news - Ann Nelson RIP
Previous :: Next Topic  
Schroder

Schroder

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 9:26 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ann Nelson died in a fall on Sunday on the Tanks Lakes - Chetwoot Lake traverse. Condolences to David Kaplan and their family for this tragic loss.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
joker
seeker

joker

seeker
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 10:46 am 
My condolences to her family and friends. She seemed like a very positive and  experienced and  knowledgeable person  from my exposure to and interactions with her on the  WH&C Facebook group. It's a loss for that  community as well.

Very sad news, and an awful echo of the death  of Lowell Skoog's wife a few years  back in the Trinity  Alps  also  from a fall during an off-trail traverse that is apparently often done. I take it as a reminder that this could  happen to any of us who take on such ventures.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk

Off Leash Man
PostMon Aug 05, 2019 11:05 am 
RIP Anne Nelson

--------------
Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gil

Gil

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 8:17 pm 
Oh my gosh! That is so, so sad. I can't imagine such a loss.

I was up on the ridge above (north of) Chetwoot overnight Saturday-Sunday. On my way out down the Foss Lakes trail I saw a helicopter heading up there.

--------------
Friends help the miles go easier.
Klahini
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostMon Aug 05, 2019 8:45 pm 
The Mountaineers has a writeup on Anne today.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 5:09 am 
I was doing the Foss Lakes circle hike this past weekend. I was up at Azure lake surveying the lakes when I heard a rocks rolling down the hill above on the high route. We eventually made our way down to the East end of Otter Lake to camp. That evening we saw the helicopter flying around right above us for some time. Heard the copter again yesterday morning when we were down by Delta lake. Figured it was a injured hiker. Talked to 7 or so different people that were interested or doing that high route hike. Sorry to hear of Ann's passing when we got back last night.
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 6:20 am 
So sorry to hear about Ann. What a tremendous loss to the community, her family, friends and co-workers. A reminder of how fragile life can be.
Pyrites

Pyrites

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The Mountaineers has a writeup on Anne today.

As does the Seattle Times.
Snowdog

Snowdog

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 8:24 am 
Can happen to any of us, anywhere, anytime.
Here's the Seattle Times article:

http://click.email.seattletimes.com/?qs=3fdc2e491f90359215a3c6f0fb99ed64e2a2c3dc03580dca7603ebeaae7584f795b1730d962c73eac1be9d26ec2dc0aca2e5ad6928a7cb23

--------------
'we don't have time for a shortcut'
RichP

RichP

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 12:40 pm 
RIP. Condolences to family and friends.

--------------
Without obsession, life is nothing. John Waters
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist

Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 06, 2019 1:22 pm 
The popularity of this loop seems to extend far beyond the more hard-core scramblers and climbers, even though by all accounts it has at least one very steep and rocky traverse that has always spooked me from trying it.  Often when people just ask generally for recommendations for a "loop hike," people chime in with the Foss-Necklace loop.  Perhaps people should think twice about that.
I don't mean of course that this had anything to do with the tragedy that befell Ann herself, as she was by all accounts a very experienced mountaineer.
mtn.climber

mtn.climber

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm 
Terrible news.  I just came out of the mountains and was alerted to this.  I'm so sorry for her family  waah.gif

--------------
Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come.

Live the life of love.  Love the life you live.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:16 pm 
While in that area I was asked by 3 separate groups about the route. I ran into 2 gentlemen that were just starting up the switch backs to Copper lk on there way to the traverse. So it is a popular subject for the area.
wolffie

wolffie

PostTue Aug 06, 2019 3:32 pm 
One of the news clips mentioned Iron Cap Mt.  Don't know where the accident happened, but the exit from the north ridge where you drop down and turn SE to traverse the east side deserves caution.  You drop down to a little knob, but if you start the traverse too high or too low, it can get ugly.  The 3rd time I did it -- in good visibility -- I guess I got careless, figuring I knew my way, and turned too high, and it got ugly.
I think there are several ways to do this, a higher way and lower ways.

It can happen anywhere.  On the PCT a week ago -- generally a rather tame trail -- I noticed that if I stepped a foot off the steep, brushy trail (above Milk Creek) I might do a full somersault or two before I hit the switchback below.
Waterman

Waterman

PostWed Aug 07, 2019 7:45 am 
While I understand the allure of the route variation over Iron cap if your a peak bagger, there is a much safer route down low.

4400' contour line from Azurite is what you would follow.  Can be brushy and steep in places.

RIP Dr Nelson

--------------
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Very sad news - Ann Nelson RIP
  Happy Birthday Beave, Gruenk!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: