Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments day hike 10/6/2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 11:57 am 
Ben had a crazy plan to hike to Gnome tarn in a day and nobody was going to admit to being chicken. We started from Colchuck at 3 am on very little sleep. We hiked in the dark to the lake hitting snow around 5k. Josh wanted to take a nap so I lent him my emergency ground pad, hoodie and blanket. We didn't see him again until much later. By now it was 6 am. Cashmere was dressed in a light gown of red and white.
Aasgard Pass once again was a butt kicker. 1-2 feet of unconsolidated powder made the icy boot path the only reasonable option but it was steep with weak steps. Micro-spikes were a must. Our asthmatic pace got us to the top at 9:15 where we soaked in the first sunbeams. No big crowds up here. Snow must've scared all the weenies away. We larched around in the basin passing a few campers. The lake he was aiming to get reflection shots on was frozen but Ben was still happy to be there. We ate lunch, skittered on the ice and Ben made some time-lapses that he better post later.
After 9 miles I was waffling on climbing Enchantment Peak but Ben wasn't having any chickens in his hiking party. So we agreed on a if-I'm-not-at-Aasgard-by-4-some-bad-juju-went-down time and I started punching knee deep powder to Prussik Pass. The last 500' my heart felt like it would explode every time I punched through up to my waist, which was every other step. The scramble was pretty easy, though sparse, 3rd. Had to sweep snow off some key steps and I checked the time and it was already 2 pm.
I quickly donned the Enchanter mask, made an apple disappear and traversed toward Aasgard aiming for a key gully on a GPX track I found on peakbagger. This thing was super steep, full of slush and rollers but I managed to avoid certain death. Traversing, I came across some large 5-toed tracks going the same direction I was headed. Well, between whatever it was and cliffs, I'll take the chance.
So on I went plunging and traversing slushy wet granite slabs until I met Ben at Aasgard just after 3pm. He was taking time lapses again of the incoming clouds. Josh had apparently come up and was exploring the basin. He came back and met us 20 min later. Ben generously shared a mountain house and we spent way too much time chilling out. Then we rushed down in the longest slog I've done this... month? Jeez, I guess I've been slogging it up lately. Anyways great time larching with bro and friends but my legs hurt.

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:09 pm 
Nice work there SCARY guy.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
neek

neek
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 12:15 pm 
Nice to see the current conditions out there, thanks for the report.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 2:55 pm 
Wow, not doing that. tongue.gif
Michael Lewis wrote:
Looks like wolverine to me.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 3:00 pm 
That's one way to beat the crowds, permits, heat, and bugs....and goats too?
Michael Lewis wrote:
Bear, looking for his or her bear-motel for the season. Edit: sculpin thinks wolverine.. Exciting if so. What's the scale?

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostMon Oct 07, 2019 3:08 pm 
I'd say the prints were 5-6" wide

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:14 am 
The prints at the top of the image look like the classic offset gait of a wolverine running through snow. There are also indentations behind the footprints, consistent with shorter, more acutely bent legs. None of this rules out bear, the prints are too indistinct. The animal might have changed direction slightly to avoid the rock outcrop, making it look like an offset gait. Do the bears in the Enchantments den or do they go into Leavenworth and eat garbage all winter? clown.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue Oct 08, 2019 9:19 am 
Nicely written trip report and great pictures. I wonder if your mask would have scared the wolverine that may have been up there!

Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 1:19 pm 
Very nice report and fantastic photos. I'm heading up somewhere in the range in the next few days and it's good beta to see the conditions (plus the new snow that arrived 10-7 and 10-8).
Sculpin wrote:
Do the bears in the Enchantments den or do they go into Leavenworth and eat garbage all winter? clown.gif
Sculpin - I know you're just joking, but I once came upon a bear den at about 7000 ft. when skiing the Cannon Mountain Couloir. I was surprised that she/he/they would opt to "camp" at that elevation.

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostWed Oct 09, 2019 8:57 pm 
Damn dood! Enchantment pk was a slog for me in good conditions dizzy.gif , helluva effort and thanks for the trip/conditions report! Cheers man!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin