Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Christiana, Denmark - Hippie Heaven is 'normalized' by Denmark
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Aug 10, 2019 8:56 am 
Quote:
Seen from a boat drifting along Copenhagen's wide canals, the neighborhood of Christiania is a verdant enclave tucked beneath a thick canopy of trees. Half a century after it was founded as a breakaway anarchist commune, it seems to have matured into a slice of paradise. But all is not well in Christiania. While the hippie community still thrives today, it's beset by problems that threaten its identity and future -- an existential crisis variously blamed on intolerant local authorities, police, gentrification and, inevitably, tourists. Denmark is often listed among the happiest countries in the world, but back in 1971 there was enough discontent to inspire a group of hippies, junkies, oddballs and outcasts to set up a permanent squat in a former military complex in the country's capital.
Fascinating article on the changes reaching Christiana

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 7:11 am 
I did a quick trip through Christiania with some friends in 2013. Unfortunately, photography wasn't allowed inside then, so no pictures. Because of that rule, as well as a fear of causing offense inadvertently by violating some other unwritten rule, I remember never really relaxing until I was out of there. Not my cup of tea.

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm 
Really, no pics even then? That's pretty wild. It's fascinating to me that they got away with semilegal squatting for so long to such a degree as to develop all the facets of their small commune/ity to the level that they did. It's too bad they're finally being assimilated.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers