Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wolf Attack
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
FishnWishn

FishnWishn
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 8:10 pm 
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 8:30 pm 
Woah man I'm going to Banff in 2 weeks!! Gonna be very aware of the threat of beasts. Heavy aggressive wolf populations in the vicinity! Luckily I had a close encounter with a black bear sniffin' the tent up in the north cascs 2 weeks ago to warm me up. No joke!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 6:31 am 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Woah man I'm going to Banff in 2 weeks!! Gonna be very aware of the threat of beasts. Heavy aggressive wolf populations in the vicinity!
"Veterinary tests have confirmed that the wolf was in poor condition and likely nearing the end of its natural life span. The wolf’s condition was likely a contributing factor for its unusual behavior and this remains a very rare incident," Matheson said. I am none too worried.....about other people, yes.

Songs2

Songs2
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:36 am 
The Bow Valley Parkway (Banff NP; a 50k alternative to Hwy 1) has a sign warning about wolf presence. It's somewhat of a wildlife refuge or corridor. I think there are resident populations of various animals. I've seen elk and suspect bear have seen me. Off to Yoho NP, Mt Robson PP, and Kananaskis Country myself in 2 weeks!

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 10:51 am 
The fact that this was the first ever wolf attack in a Canadian National Park indicates just how rare and unlikely wolf attacks are and how little we have to worry about them. 1 attack in the 134 years since Canada's first National Park was established since 1885.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:13 pm 
Ya wolf attacks are REALLY rare. Of all the large predators on this continent, i think they are statistically the least confrontational? Or maybe black bears since there are so many more of them?

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 6:49 pm 
Always good to be confident. wink.gif There are other things with teeth in the wilds. Not just wolves. There have been a couple of other wolf attacks, one in Canada and the other in Alaska, and the animals involved apparently were healthy. Last year a guy was killed by a mountain lion north of North Bend. His buddy managed to get away. Just sayin'

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 7:56 pm 
NacMacFeegle wrote:
how rare and unlikely wolf attacks are and how little we have to worry about them.
If I had a sheep's head as an avatar, I would be worried..

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 5:33 am 
Yea don't worry about the wolves theres other animals out there to be concerned about

gb

gb
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 7:01 am 
timberghost wrote:
Yea don't worry about the wolves theres other animals out there to be concerned about
Definitely. I had a packrat harass me one time on Forbidden Peak. And then there was the time I got 7 yellow jacket stings brushing Sloan. That could have been life threatening.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 7:48 am 
Dave Workman wrote:
Always good to be confident.
Stepping out of the shower is a lot more dangerous than being in the backcountry: https://www.latimes.com/health/la-xpm-2011-jun-09-la-heb-bathroom-injuries-20110609-story.html Definitely should be packing when you step in there, you never know who might be hiding behind the curtain! paranoid.gif

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 9:34 am 
Sculpin wrote:
Definitely should be packing when you step in there, you never know who might be hiding behind the curtain! paranoid.gif
rotf.gif Nah, my sixgun gets too rusty and the powder gets wet! winksmile.gif I'm always more concerned about bear encounters. At least one of our members, BPJ, had an interesting night with a bear that he wrote about here a few years ago, IIRC. Once in my teens when I was camping up at Mt. Rainier, a bear wandered into the camp of some people just below us. One of those fools threw a rock or log at it. Luck for everyone the bear didn 't decide to get pi$$ed off because it was a pretty good sized bear. I once had a herd of elk stampeded through my camp, and another time a bunch of loose cattle wandered through. It goes with the territory.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
wanderwild

wanderwild
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 10:00 am 
Logic would put those who feel the need to pack firmly in the "scared" category, not confident. Hence why they are "packin'". This story is a pretty good articulation of this phenomenon: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/bigfoot-shooting-kentucky-campsite-mammoth-cave-national-park-a9030786.html

"Whatever your mountain, climb on."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 10:09 am 
Feel fee to discuss personal safety in the appropriate thread(s).