Forum Index > Photography Talk > WTA Calendar Photo:  Genuine or Fraud?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
If it was a legitimate photo I can see why it might win. It's got a good story to go along with it. Presumably the photographer and subject didn't know each other and met on the way up. But I don't think it would have won if the judges knew it was a composite of two photos.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:07 pm 
Tom wrote:
But I don't think it would have won if the judges knew it was a composite of two photos.

Maybe, but  I don’t know about that. The criteria includes “artistic quality.”

Professional photographers are allowed to enter, and do win; and many photos are set-up poses, so I don’t know that manipulation isn’t allowed. I never agreed with allowing professional photographers. Posed photos – sure, if it’s a posed family, or someone excitedly waving at the camera, or a kid holding onto a funny-looking stick at the beach - stuff like that. But good lord, I hope the glowing-tent-with-the-Milky Way-above-it phase is done. Not sure if the hiker-jump phase is over with (2 styles: a silhouette jumping over an outlet, and jumping in general), yoga poses, and uninspired arms outstretched in front of a view – I hope so. (this is for all outdoors photos in general, not just WTA).

Remember the first year with all those over-the-top poses? The nekkid lady in what looked like a pooping posture, hanging from a log in front of a waterfall? A woman in a white dress with a looong veil wrapped around the terrain, the dog propped up at a campfire made to look like it was roasting marshmallows? That first year still cracks me up. First years of every new thing is usually pretty wonky.

If I entered any of my extremely unique photos of mushrooms, clouds, or - I’m sure no one has ever thought of taking photos of raindrops on flowers  hmmm.gif - I would surely win. hmmm.gif

People enjoy the WTA photo contest; it’s nice.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Tom
Admin

Tom

Admin
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:31 pm 
I did enjoy looking at the photos.

BTW, I think you're an excellent photographer.  In fact just the other day clicked thru on one of your photos to see what gear you were using.
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:52 pm 
Tom wrote:
  In fact just the other day clicked thru on one of your photos to see what gear you were using.

Thanks. I have been using two old point-and-shoots because my DSLR done broke. I recently was given an old Sony DSLR (old that my bodacious freind gave me when she upgraded, but I haven't done much with it yet.

I just bought a condo this year, so I'm more broke than I already was - should have stayed away from environmental studies and career - so it'll be a while before I get anything fancy, though I do like the Sony. And the condo.

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker

Have camera will use
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 12:56 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Tom wrote:
But I don't think it would have won if the judges knew it was a composite of two photos.

Maybe, but  I don’t know about that. The criteria includes “artistic quality.”

Stitching together different photos of the same scene to improve quality/resolution/depth-of-field/field-of-view/contrast is one thing. Creating a scene almost from scratch, like composites do, may be art, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a photograph. It most definitely needs to be identified as being a composite, at least in my opinion.

As Tom said, the story behind the photograph in question was compelling. Unfortunately, the end result was not.

--------------
'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker
bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!"
Photography: https://www.flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani/albums
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
BaNosser

BaNosser

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm 
Quote:
Stitching together different photos of the same scene to improve quality/resolution/depth-of-field/field-of-view/contrast is one thing. Creating a scene almost from scratch, like composites do, may be art, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a photograph. It most definitely needs to be identified as being a composite, at least in my opinion.

Agreed..  I do a lot of HDRs.. many times it's the only way to capture a scene the way it actually appears...  Digital cameras have come a long way.. but they are still a long way from actual eye balls...

And regarding the image in question.. shadow on his face.. part of hair.. orientation of the peaks..  nuff said..
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Photography Talk > WTA Calendar Photo:  Genuine or Fraud?
  Happy Birthday Beave, Gruenk!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: