Forum Index > Trail Talk > Most accurate weather source
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:04 pm 
Hey guys and gals. I'm trying to decide when to hit my hike in the next few days and just about every site says something different. I check accuweather, king5, kiro, komo, q13, weather.com, weatherunderground, and the national weather service for the cascades. What have you guys found to be the most reliable source for weather forecasts? Thanks

none
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NWPhil

NWPhil
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 2:31 pm 
mountain-forecast.com NOAA then average/guess-timate from other like you mentioned

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:11 pm 
My two favorites are the pinpoint seven day forecasts from the NWS, and the 10 day forecasts from the NWRFC (link below). https://www.nwrfc.noaa.gov/weather/10_day.cgi The 10 day are great not for the ten day part, but for the map format, and the focus on precipitation. It helps me answer the eternal question: do I head north, or south.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:19 pm 
https://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/goes/abi/goesWestconusband13.html https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=northwest-02-48-0 https://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/west/weus/h5-loop-vis.html https://www.ssec.wisc.edu/data/geo/#/animation?satellite=goes-west accuweather.com / weather.com = about as good as you're going to get. most all of them just use the feeds from NOAA I usually look at all the information available, then look at the satellite images, and try to make my own best guess.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:49 pm 
Michael Fagin of West Coast Weather LLC is my goto source for custom forecasts in the Cascades. https://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/west-coast-outdoor-weather-11-12-2015/

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 4:06 pm 
I like windy and spotwx for the detail they provide, as well as the ability to compare different forecast models. I find windy to be slightly more user-friendly. IME if the various different models are mostly in agreement then you have a pretty good idea of what the weather is going to do, at least up to a few days out. UW Department of Atmospheric Sciences is a great resource. I also like to read the forecast discussion from the Weather Service. I'm basically with Ski, look at a lot of information, take the average and make your best guess.

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 4:54 pm 
Thanks guys. Looks like I've got some work to do. Heading to Glacier Peak and dont want to get rained on, or snowed on.

none
ejain

ejain
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 5:13 pm 
+1 for Windy I trust the forecast when all models agree (and don't keep changing every few hours).

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 5:30 pm 
ejain wrote:
+1 for Windy I trust the forecast when all models agree (and don't keep changing every few hours).
I can agree with that. Most say the same thing but a couple are different on rain forecast.

none
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 5:32 pm 
It's nice to see more people using Windy, what a great resource. Also highly recommend the app (free).

flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 6:28 pm 
Jordan, I'll see you up there smile.gif

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 7:32 pm 
flatsqwerl wrote:
Jordan, I'll see you up there smile.gif
When are you going? It'll be my second time trying to get over Disappointment Peak. Didn't make it last year.

none
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 pm 
Hi Jordan. I'm heading in there tomorrow with my sons and husky. It'll be a leisurely 3 day event. Looks to be cloudy but no precipitation...I think..hopefully we'll have good visibility and not be stuck in a cloud bank. We're not sure if its gonna be the Cool glacier route or disappointment. I've done disappointment years ago but not sure if a certain person in our party will dig the steep loose ridge. We'll see. Its nice the routes are right next to each other. Have a great trip, perhaps we'll see enroute!

Jordan
y

Jordan
y
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 8:13 pm 
I was thinking of going tomorrow but will risk being rained out for less people and try for next week. You have done D.P.? As DP steepens near the top, do you stick to the spine or do you drift west or east ? Also, is there class 3 at the end? Difficult climb?

none
flatsqwerl

flatsqwerl
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 8:18 pm 
it was 43 years ago when I did it solo. I do not recall wavering from the general ridge crest ( spine ) I do recall boot glissading on loose dirt gravel coming down. It was steepest at the top but I cannot recall the difficulty...class 3 sounds about right I think. But one does crazy sh## when they are 17 so i am not sure!