Forum Index > Gear Talk > Best Car Camping Cooler
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Framama

Framama
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 1:59 am 
Hi, A couple of weeks ago I purchased a new cooler https://under-the-open-sky.com/best-coolers-for-camping/ but I am not that happy with it. It is the Igloo 3 Day Marine Cooler (48qt). The walls weren't very thick and they seemed to be the same as a less expensive cooler. I paid $39.99 for it at Dick's Sporting Goods. Throughout the 3 days I used it I had to add lots of ice and drain tons of water. It was in the shade most of the time. Does anyone know of a cooler about the same size that performs well for about 3 days (and also has a drain plug)?. Thank you for your help. Any thoughts or info would be great.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 3:34 am 
www.yeti.com

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 8:18 am 
I'd say $39.99 is a less expensive cooler.

skiorkayak

skiorkayak
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 8:24 am 
Just about any rotomolded cooler will do better than that. Yeti was one of the originals, and still one of the best, but also one of the most expensive. A quick Amazon search will reveal lots of options. Do your research and read reviews. I have a Canyon cooler that I am very happy with, but will probably go with Orca next time.

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 8:55 am 
You might want to look at this thread Cooler for Car Camping I've had my Engel for 3 years now and I'm pleased with it. There's a lot of alternatives out now.

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 9:57 am 
I am on a budget, but needed a decent cooler. I just picked up a Lifetime 55qt that purportedly keeps ice 7 days. It is not rotomolded but is otherwise similar in design to the big name brands. It was 100 smackers vs. 200-300 for rotomolded like RTIC, Yeti, Pelican, etc. The Lifetime coolers get mostly good reviews and a few bad ones, mostly about the lids warping and gaskets not being worth a darn. Supposedly they have addressed those issues. I threw 2 blocks of ice in it last night, and some warm beer. This morning the beer is cold, and there is very little water from melted ice. That is noticeably better than my run-of-the-mill coolers. I'll report back once it has gone through some more intensive use, but it appears promising.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 11:59 am 
Saw these at Costco a while back. No personal experience but they get decent reviews online. I was looking for something larger so I passed, but sounds like you're interested in a 45 quart. It was $120 in store: https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-45-quart-Roto-Molded-Cooler.product.100476367.html Last year Costco had the 80 quart for $180 in store. https://slickdeals.net/f/11602411-80-quart-cascade-mountain-tech-roto-molded-cooler-instore-b-m-costco-179-99

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm 
I have an ancient Coleman but I avoid using ice until absolutely necessary. My system: several of those gel packs that freeze as hard as a rock (the kind fish get packed in), and a few of the "blue ice" units with hard shells. After loading the cooler, I lay a folded towel over everything (under the lid). Once in the car, I keep it covered with an old heavy wool blanket. Amazing how much more insulation that provides; I'd guess an extra day's worth. I've never tested it, but I have the impression that those gel packs last longer than ice.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm 
Thank you Schroder. I only suggested "Yeti" because that is the only brand I know of. Following Anne Elk's cue: During a stint where I lived in the ranger station, I had to get creative keeping food cold because some idiot had bent the door on the propane refrigerator. I found that I could keep fresh food (including fresh meats) cold using a combination of the blue "gel pack" things and ice. I filled 1/2 gallon plastic milk jugs with water and froze them for 3 or 4 days (to make sure they were frozen hard.) I'm not a physicist, but it sure seemed like the combination of ice and frozen "gel packs" kept food colder longer than did either ice or the "gel packs" by themselves. Another thing I did was minimize the number of times the cooler had to be opened. Repeatedly opening and closing the ice chest while preparing a meal isn't necessary if you figure out beforehand exactly what you need I also moved the ice chest into the darkest, coolest part of the building during the day when I was away, and wrapped the sleeping bags around it (for extra insulation.) Doing the above gave me four or five full days of cold food when it was above 80° F outside every day.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 5:16 pm 
That Costco one Tom linked to looks good. The bear certification would be a huge plus for me when canoe camping, like at Ozette lake, where bear canisters are required.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 7:45 pm 
I like the plug in refrigerator freezers. I have two of these: Dometic fridge

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 am 
The Evil Empire aka Walmart, puts out an imitation Yeti cooler for less money. It is under their Ozark Trails name. No, I do not have one but have read some reviews about it. I like their Yeti knock off insulated cups. I too, have a worthless white Igloo marine cooler. Perhaps it cools some Marines? I even wrapped it in that foil quilted insulation stuff without success. One of those disposable Styrofoam cheapo coolers works better.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 12:50 pm 
Unless it's very inconvenient to buy ice, it takes a lot of bags of ice to make up for the price of a yeti. Some of the other ones that are rotomolded are probably a good middle ground, I will also agree with the gel vs ice. I have a softsided cooler that gel packs go into the walls of. I left it in my car for 36 hrs this weak East of the Cascades. I have a ice pack on the inside that was still half frozen when I remember to grab it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 1:08 pm 
Slugman wrote:
That Costco one Tom linked to looks good. The bear certification would be a huge plus for me when canoe camping, like at Ozette lake, where bear canisters are required.
The ad actually says "bear resistant", not "bear proof".

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 2:44 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I like the plug in refrigerator freezers. I have two of these: Dometic fridge
Wow, I'd be afraid to leave that in the car (breakin). Cool tho... hey, that's a pun embarassedlaugh.gif