Forum Index > Trip Reports > Schooling the Rangers: Lunch Ledge Loop & Lizard Rock (AZ), 05.15.19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 8:25 pm 
This was hike #2 of my Tucson trip in May, another little gem in the Catalina Mtns. I made a lollipop loop starting from Soldier Camp that incorporated the Sunset Trail, Aspen Trail, & Marshall Gulch Trail. A short, unnamed side trail leads to Lunch Ledge...a place I'd likely been to before but prolly not since I was a teenager so I didn't have much recollection of it. embarassedlaugh.gif Lunch Ledge @ the TH:
TH
TH
Map
Map
The trail begins by passing some summer cabins, then turns southwesterly & rounds a ridge.
The trail bends north to cross the upper reaches of Sabino Canyon, where there were some small pools.
It was a bit confusing to pick up the trail on the other side, & I wound up crossing just a tad early & cutting the corner. Soon I happened upon the Aspen Trail & continued on my way.
The trail climbed steadily through the woods, easily reaching 8,000'. I saw 2 rangers ahead, an older man & woman, who had stopped on the trail & as I approached they seemed to size me up & eventually the man said "We're high! We're really high!" confused.gif It took me a bit to realize that he was talking about the elevation. Or @ least I hope he was. embarassedlaugh.gif They proceeded to ask where I was headed, was I from around here, had I been here before, & how I looked "prepared" etc. I told them I was doing the loop, yes I grew up here, now I live in SD, yes I'd likely been on this trail but maybe not in 25 yrs., & yes I try to be "prepared". We chatted for a bit & then I asked if I was almost to the turn off for Lunch Ledge. Neither ranger had any idea what I was talking about. embarassedlaugh.gif So, I pulled out one of my maps & showed them where it's supposed to be. I mentioned that I had another map in my pack where my mom had penciled in the turn off for Lunch Ledge, & that I should be close. "Hmm, I learn something new everyday!" the man replied. I continued on my way, checking one possible area for a side trail but it was a no-go. A bit further on I spotted a tunnel through saplings, paused, but checked a bit further on just in case. Nope, that must be it...so I turned back. I came across the rangers coming up the trail & told them that it looked like it was right back here. "I didn't see anything...good luck!" the man said, sounding skeptical. I stepped over some logs from an old burn & went thru the tunnel & sure enough the trail kept going. I'd found the secret side trail. up.gif The path followed a wide ridge, darted in & out of trees, then culminated @ a rocky ledge. Found it! I had my GPS, but no topo was loaded for AZ so it was good to know that my old school map reading skillz still worked. biggrin.gif
The rangers missed this obvious side trail ;-)
The rangers missed this obvious side trail ;-)
Approaching Lunch Ledge
Approaching Lunch Ledge
Lunch Ledge pano
Lunch Ledge pano
After a little break/snack, I headed back to the main trail & continued on the loop. The trail swung northward & I got a good look back @ the ledge.
Lunch Ledge as seen from further up the trail
Lunch Ledge as seen from further up the trail
I reached Marshall Saddle, then turned right on the Marshall Gulch Trail.
I came across some mysterious objects aside the trail, perhaps water collection containers. confused.gif
?
?
?
?
I continued on, & caught up to the 2 rangers who were once again stopped on the trail & talking w/a couple of hikers. They asked if I'd found the ledge & I told them yes. Just after I passed them by, the man said "Hey, look @ this!" I turned back & he had a map in hand, a newer version of the Green Trails map than I had, & pointed to where it showed a little dashed line leading to Lunch Ledge right in the spot where I had showed him earlier on my map, which had no line. "Yep, that's it" I said. He replied, "Now you can go home & tell your mom you found it!" No, sadly I can't I thought, but said nothing. As I walked on, the other ranger smiled @ me & said "I'm impressed." Funny how someone who hasn't lived in the area for 25 yrs. knew about a scenic overlook that the rangers who work there all the time did not.
Stats
Stats
Next, I stopped briefly @ the Palisades Visitor Center. I wasn't sure if I'd ever been there before...if so it'd been ages ago & I had no memory of it. It's a small place, & when I walked in I expected a few other visitors & the buzz of conversation or @ least some soft background music. Instead my entrance was like a bull in a china shop as I was met by 2 older guys sitting there in complete silence who seemed a little surprised that someone actually walked in. The one guy maybe said hello, the other just sat there & glared. No music or other peeps. It was dead silence in the place, which normally I enjoy but in this case I felt like a bit of an intruder or something. paranoid.gif The 2 guys didn't even chat w/one another, just sat & stared. After a few minutes of awkward silence I was getting ready to leave when the one guy finally decided to show some friendliness & made a little small talk - the usual 'are you from around here', 'where did you hike today', etc. I mentioned where I hiked...that I'd chose my trailhead in part due to it being one of the free ones, etc. The grumpy guy finally perked up & listed other free areas & said that a nearby TH that is currently free will be starting to charge come October or something. @ this point another visitor came in, breaking the tension a bit. I walked out. hink.gif Next up, Lizard Rock. This is a rocky outcrop right next to the road that was on my drive back down the mtn. I'd been here once(?) before, maybe about 9 yrs. ago. It's a short, steep, & slippery climb. The parking area is along the shoulder, right @ the base of the rock. There's no official trail, you just walk up the spine of the lizard. up.gif On the way up:
Approaching the top of Lizard Rock
Approaching the top of Lizard Rock
On the summit:
Lizard Rock pano
Lizard Rock pano
On the way down:
Bunch of li'l holes
Bunch of li'l holes
Stats
Stats
On the drive back down, I pulled over to photograph some phallic rocks. hockeygrin.gif up.gif
Lots of phallic rocks
Lots of phallic rocks
Back in Tucson I hit up Rosa's for a well-deserved margarita/dinner. When I walked in the waiter asked "How many?" I replied, "It's just me." Then in a tone one might interpret as scolding, he said "Go sit in the corner!", pointing to a lonely table tucked next to a wall just before the kitchen. embarassedlaugh.gif Ahh, t'was an interesting day all around. wink.gif up.gif up.gif
Post-hike marg
Post-hike marg

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
John Mac
old retiree

John Mac
old retiree
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 8:58 pm 
Thanks again

How miserable are the idle hours of the ignorant man. Ariosto
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 7:32 pm 
Yep, I saved the best for last. Though, between margaritas & phallic rocks it's a close call. winksmile.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.