Forum Index > Trip Reports > Cadet Pk & Rover(N. Cadet) 8-15-19
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 3:12 pm 
I altered my plans last minute to get some extra shut-eye and decided on a smoot peak, Cadet! Id only been to the monte cristo area once so i was rather stoked! I showed up to Barlow pass at 0800 to see a handfull of cars 3 of which had broken windows. God damnit i hate these worthless people that do sh## like that! ninja.gif I wasnt as worried knowing i was gonna be back around dark. I set off at 0830 and made it to town around 1000. From there took a short break and found glacier basin trail. This place is pretty awesome knowing that a bunch old timey miners were up in here in the late 1800s!! f### animals, man people were hard back then. It took a while to make glacier basin because i wanted to check out every little area that had signs of the past left stagnant! Crazy to be here back then i bet! The trees sure do grow a lot over a 100 yrs! In a little over an hour i made the basin proper and cut north through meadows after the giant boulders. Aim for the gnarly redddish gully and acsend on the right side. Climb this for about 600ft or so then cross over the gully wherever you can, this was probably the hardest part of the climb for me lol. Then kinda traverse to the left and find hidden gully in the trees. This gully has some class 3 and goes up for 300ft -ish. I kinda trended left once out of this gully and found a nice gametrail/climbers on the ridge. I followed this to around 6600ft and instead of going left on slabs like most do, i went straight up the gully thats right in front of you. I was glad to be solo as the rock fall was unavoidable at times. Once at the top of the gully traverse slabs leftward to gain easy access to the heather slopes above. From there its pretty much a walk up.
Ive climbed his peak
Ive climbed his peak
Wilmans pks
Wilmans pks
Wilmans
Wilmans
the basin and Monte cristo peak
the basin and Monte cristo peak
towards the top of the reddish gully looking south
towards the top of the reddish gully looking south
Topping out of second gully
Topping out of second gully
Mcp again
Mcp again
Wilmans spires
Wilmans spires
wilmans with Columbia in back
wilmans with Columbia in back
summit proper
summit proper
Rover and sloan
Rover and sloan
mcp, kyes, columbia, wilmans
mcp, kyes, columbia, wilmans
rover and sloan again
rover and sloan again
reg shot
reg shot
gimp was here
gimp was here
The views were amazing on Cadet and the register was cool too. The pen in the reg doesnt work so someone may wanna take a pencil up there, i was kinda bummed not to sign in. Oh well at least its still there. I made the summit around 1500, that was at a casual pace. So i didnt linger too long as i wanted to go get Rover after seeing gimpilators' tr lol! It looked deceivingly far away but it took just under 30mins to get there. I stayed as high i could on the ridge on the traverse over. After reaching the cliffband under the summit i went leftward just below a snowpatch and found a heathery gully to ascend up to the summit, after the gully its a walk up. Soon i found myself on the 2nd pk of the day with awesome views of course. The register was pretty badass! I was almost more excited to get two registers than two peaks, lmao! This was a pretty rugged little area and it was so sweet to walk in the footsteps of some hard ass miners from over a 100 yrs ago, cheers to those dudes! After a longer summit stay i made my way down around 1700. It was later than i wanted to stay in fear of what might happen to my car lol. I made a leisurely descent taking in all the fine views and history again and made it to monte cristo around 2030. From there i made it back to a fuller parking lot around 2200. Thank god no busted windows. I checked some other cars too and nobody had any broken windows at that point! So it was another grand day to be alive, cheers to all you awesome people! rocker.gif
way to rover
way to rover
closer , go under snow
closer , go under snow
silvertip and lake
silvertip and lake
rover summit
rover summit
reg #2
reg #2
main summit from rover
main summit from rover
nice Schroder
nice Schroder
lol a goat on xmas
lol a goat on xmas
gimp again
gimp again
goat lake and sloan in clouds
goat lake and sloan in clouds
Ye olde prospecter shovel
Ye olde prospecter shovel
mcp and cool flower
mcp and cool flower
mcp
mcp
thats the nasty little gully i took instead of goin left
thats the nasty little gully i took instead of goin left
the first gully you stray right of, from the basin
the first gully you stray right of, from the basin
Damnnnnnn
Damnnnnnn
cheers to another sweeeet day!!!
cheers to another sweeeet day!!!

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 5:34 pm 
ozzy wrote:
Ive climbed his peak
Ive climbed his peak
Thanks for the report. As far as Commander Kyes, If you haven't seen it there's some interesting discussion in the History forum. Also, per wiikedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_E._Kyes

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 6:07 pm 
Nice trip Ozz-man. I like your photos of this area. Cool that you got Rover too. Bummer to hear about those smashed windows. Damn crack-heads.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 6:08 pm 
up.gif Another great trip! You write the most entertaining reports, always look forward to 'em. And thanks for the register shots too. I'll have to make it up there soon.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:02 pm 
Another awesome trip and nice collection of pics. I hope you enter your pink flower photo (penstemon) in the calendar contest! I too, am always amazed at what the miners, trappers and explorers accomplished in the 1800’s. Almost like a different breed of human, such beasts they were!

Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 7:20 pm 
ozzy wrote:
Really love this shot. up.gif

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"
CarriesNineFires

CarriesNineFires
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 8:59 pm 
Ozzy, you always grab the bull by the stones and yank your way to the top. Your reports are always among the best. I'm glad your efforts were not rewarded with a smashing of your windows, or worse. I pretty much avoid the Mountain Loop Highway area because there's just too much of a sordid history of vandalism. It sucks.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:38 pm 
One of the register pages mentions that "this must be a popular summit" -- not so much based on the infrequent entries later.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 am 
up.gif up.gif up.gif biggrin.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 8:30 am 
up.gif up.gif

ozzy
The hard way

ozzy
The hard way
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 4:49 pm 
Man, thank yall for all of your kind responses! I enjoy all of your post so much too! Thanks for all the help/encouragement/entertainment over the years! Cheers to all you fellow wanderers! cheers.gif

“I don’t know what’s gonna happen, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames”-Mr Mojo Risin
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 8:59 pm 
An excellent report. Great read - interesting-and nice register photos. Thanks for pointing out Randy's entry! We went to Monte Cristo today. No peak bagging, though.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 12:08 am 
Really enjoyable report, Ozzie - appreciated all the details you included to make a great photo-narrative. NancyAnn, thanks for the flower ID. I would have guessed it to be some kind of gentian, similar to this one. I wasn't aware there were native dwarf penstemons - had to look that up... P. davidsonii, right?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Nancyann

Nancyann
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 8:21 am 
I’m not a wildflower expert by any stretch of the imagination, Anne, but I checked my wildflower book after seeing these near the summit of Remmel Mountain last week, elevation a little under 8,700 feet.
Penstemon near the summit of Remmel Mountain 8/14/19
Penstemon near the summit of Remmel Mountain 8/14/19
The flowers in Ozzy’s photo are more lush, but maybe it’s because they receive more rain.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 10:32 pm 
You've been knocking it out of the park with your trip reports this year Ozzy! rocker.gif Loved your Formidable report too. Great photos, thanks for taking the time to write these up.