Forum Index > Trail Talk > Car camping by Mt Baker
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mjl

mjl
PostSun Aug 11, 2019 4:19 pm 
I was hoping to do some car camping & day hiking he weekend of the 23rd int the Glacier/Deming area but all the campgrounds are full. People at Glacier Service Center talked about the 'dispersed camping' along various FS roads but that seemed dicey as I don't know the area well & wlll be arriving after dark Anyone have any tips? many thanks!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mike

mike
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am 
A few nice spots along Canyon Ck about 5mi in just before and at the bridge. Road is mostly chip-seal to that point.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:59 am 
Hannegan trailhead looks like a music festival.

mike

mike
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 11:32 am 
Cyclopath, Can you drive to the Hannegan TH? I heard that there was a slide about a mile before.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 12:07 pm 
I've car bivied many times out there. Sometimes at a site that obviously has been used for camping, sometimes just anywhere I can get my car off to the side of the road. Also at several of the trailheads. There are a few good spots about halfway up the road to Skyline Divide TH (Glacier Creek Rd.; then left at the fork almost immediately). There are a few places that can work along the road to Hannegan Pass TH. I've seen cars pulled off to the side and a tent set up on the gravel bar along the Nooksack River. If you can be creative and flexible, it's pretty easy to find a place to crash for the night. This is tangential, but I was out there on a Labor Day weekend one year, stopped in at Silver Fir Campground. All the sites were reserved, but close to a third of them were empty. This was on Sunday. I was tempted to take one of them, but I didn't. I hate that so much stuff is now reservable in advance instead of you have to get your butt out there and claim it.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 1:53 pm 
A couple of years ago, my son, my (then) youngest grandson, and I went camping up there. I was able to reserve a spot at Silver Fir Campground for three nights midweek in August. This was the grandson's first experience camping, and it was quite successful. The last morning (Friday), I was very disappointed during a pre-dawn stroll (to the rest room) to see that at least three "reserved" sites were empty! That was particularly disappointing because the night before at least half a dozen cars had cruised through the campground looking for a vacant spot. There should be an especially hot spot in the hot place reserved for those who don't bother to cancel their reservations when their plans change! One car appeared to have spent the night in a day use parking spot--it just pulled out as I passed. How successful such a strategy would be, though, depends the diligence (or rather, lack of it) of the campground host. I think olderthanIusedtobe's post has some good ideas. Good luck!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 pm 
Two spots off Glacier Creek Road. After the bridge over Glacier Creek watch for a 2 track leading up and west, curling left quickly to a grassy turn around (check for glass). Nice, privacy off the road (no headlights intruding). Much further up, just before the Heliotrope Ridge TH take a hard right on a good gravel road and a half mile up or so there is a wide spot in the road. I've slept there a half dozen times, always putting the car where it'd block the tent in case of a crazy driver. But never needed. Maybe one jeep in the evening would come by. Super scenic, view across to Roosevelt Glacier, Baker. Also, very end of the Glacier Cr. Rd. at Glacier View. Works well but I'd be up and gone at dawn. A side 2 track there leads to a meadow and nice spot but those are usually taken. I've seen the spots near the bridge on Canyon Cr. Rd. that Mike mentioned. Real nice but on a weekend I'd expect them taken early. Across from Silver Fir CG there is a huge gravel flat. On a weekend I'd expect several other campers but everyone spreads out and it seems to work well.

Off trail rambler
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 8:56 pm 
mike wrote:
Cyclopath, Can you drive to the Hannegan TH? I heard that there was a slide about a mile before.
It's been a while for me. I just curved WTA, there's no mention of road problems not a warning about needing a pass. There's a TR from 4 days ago that didn't mention a road walk.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostMon Aug 12, 2019 9:34 pm 
Memory has reports saying the blowout was just short of the constructed TH, so not much more distance

Off trail rambler
Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 9:53 am 
It's been several years but I seem to recall some first come-first served spots near Baker Lake.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 10:03 am 
Eric Hansen wrote:
Memory has reports saying the blowout was just short of the constructed TH, so not much more distance
Yes, unless there is something new, Hannegan trailhead is only about 100 yards past the washout shown in my report from October 2018.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
mike

mike
PostTue Aug 13, 2019 1:02 pm 
Thanks. Good to know that there isn't an extra couple of miles rt.