Forum Index > Photography Talk > Sony RX10 IV
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 1:00 pm 
Anyone here shooting with a Sony RX10 IV? I was researching new cameras and this one looked intriguing. Almost 20 years ago I played around with a Canon Pro 90. One of the first digital super zooms (even if it was only 10x). Was a real fun camera. I still have fond memories. The RX10 seems like it could be equally fun, with a decent sized sensor and good optics for a 24-600mm zoom. Feels a bit heavy at 2.5 pounds but not bad for an all in one solution.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 11:44 pm 
Found a refurbished RX10 IV online for $899 and decided to pull the trigger (good price given they run $1600+ new). I was also considering the pocketable RX100 VI or VII but didn't like the pop-up viewfinder and couldn't get past how pricey they are. Since I already have a Pixel 3 in my pocket that takes decent pictures, I figured a RX10 IV made more sense to supplement. So far I'm impressed with the RX10 IV optics. Sharp edge to edge across the zoom range. I brought it on a hike today and played around with the zoom. To be honest I found myself reaching for my Pixel 3 most of the day, and comparing images I prefer the Pixel 3 processing, but I think the RX10 will ultimately be a nice complement.
Snoqualmie Pass
Snoqualmie Pass
25x zoom handheld
25x zoom handheld
Pixel 3
Pixel 3
Zooming in 25x with the RX10 IV
Zooming in 25x with the RX10 IV
Pixel 3
Pixel 3
RX10 IV
RX10 IV
RX10 IV 25x
RX10 IV 25x
RX10 IV
RX10 IV
Pixel 3
Pixel 3

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 12:29 pm 
This is always a tough question. Both Sony and Lumix make nice supper zooms cameras. These are nice lightweight compact cameras with decent video as well. The prime down sides are low light capability, limited to the built in lens, and no ability to use filters. If you intend to shoot wildlife, the higher zoom can come in handy. My preference is a DSLR with something like a 18-55 lens. It's a slightly heavier, but is ideal for the landscape and closeup photography. It's the wrong lens for capturing that distance mount goat, but I find it the best compromise without needing to carry a second lens. Something like a Nikon D5600 (14.7 Ounce Body) and a 18-55 Lens (7.4 Ounces ) is very price comparable to the that Sony Camera, but has much better capability. I own both a superzoom and a DLSR. The ability to use filters (Polarizer, ND) makes the DLSR my preferred outdoor camera. DPReview is a great option to compare some of your options.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Aug 27, 2019 1:39 pm 
The RX10 IV is more of a bridge camera than a superzoom. It has a 1" sensor and very respectable high ISO performance. With improvements in processing it's probably on par with an older APS-C DSLR in low light. You can screw on 72mm filters. It is very highly regarded by the review sites including DPReview. FWIW, the lens on the RX10 is far superior to any DSLR kit lens in terms of sharpness and clarity even wide open. That is what drew me to this camera as once I started adding up the weight of a DLSR with decent lenses there was no comparison. Oh, and it's also weather sealed which is a nice plus. One thing I noticed in all of the comparison shots to my Pixel 3 is the RX10 clipped the highlights in every shot while the Pixel 3 exposed the blue sky and clouds. At first I thought there might be some issues with the RX10 but then I realized the Pixel 3 has HDR+ turned on all the time by default. Pretty amazing what these flagship phone cameras can do. https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2017/09/08/hdr/ I realize I can get similar results with the RX10 fiddling with in camera HDR settings, bracket exposures, or expose for the sky and pull back shadows later but who really wants to mess with that for every shot. On my hike yesterday I brought both cameras. Never pulled out the RX10 once. doof.gif