Forum Index > Trail Talk > Nepal sets new rules for Everest
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 6:51 pm 
Nepal sets new rules for Everest climbers after deadly season Permit will depend on climbers having ascended at least one 6,500-metre Nepalese peak https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/14/nepal-sets-new-rules-for-everest-climbers-after-deadly-season

Off trail rambler
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 7:19 pm 
Maybe this will help thin the crowds out a bit, but I can also see it just extending the problem of an overcrowded Everest to other peaks in the region. So many people want to climb Everest that many will just add an extra mountain into their trip. What is needed is a very limited quota for the mountain and permits that would be dependent upon individual climbing background review.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 7:37 pm 
The real problem is greed the source of most of our current problems. Back in the day the National climbing organizations were the gatekeepers. You could not be invited on an Everest expedition unless you were an accomplished climber now any one who has the do re mi can sign up. What could possibly go wrong?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:05 pm 
Everest is the biggest mountain, and that makes it the best mountain. It's the only one worth climbing, the only reason anyone would ever climb anything else is training for Everest I don't understand the mentality.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:33 pm 
I have 2 issues with this. 1 the requirement to have a guide. I am sure there are bonafide climbers who are capable of Everest just going with their climbing partners or group, and now they have to Shell out the money for a guide. Or could one of them become a guide? I don't know the requirements, but this will probably cause an increase in price to hire the guides. 2 the requirement of another 6500 foot peak makes what was already a significant financial burden even more of a hardship for would be climbers. Everest is not something that has ever interested me, it always seemed not worth the cost or training required to complete it, but these new rules make me less likely to ever do it.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 9:48 pm 
Even if all those criteria are met, there would still be problems unless Nepal sets strict limits on the # of permits given in the climbing season window; something not mentioned in the article.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Aug 14, 2019 10:06 pm 
I agree Anne, it makes much more sense to simply restrict the number of permits. However, I would say they are greedy and-or really need the money, which is likely why they chose this 'solution'.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 12:06 am 
Banning the practice of short lining would have been my 1st pick for a rule change.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 7:54 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
The real problem is greed the source of most of our current problems. Back in the day the National climbing organizations were the gatekeepers. You could not be invited on an Everest expedition unless you were an accomplished climber now any one who has the do re mi can sign up. What could possibly go wrong?
Blaming a result is confusing cause and effect. In trade, you cannot sell what no one wants to buy. The real cause is the willingness to pay someone to get you up Everest. No willingness = no seller. The emergence of so much darned greed now.....in fact a human characteristic demonstrably present since the dawn of recorded history, makes a nice hobby horse, but a poor explanation. I'm not sure what to make of the new requirements. I think they may help by upping the experience gained prior to Everest which should improve judgement somewhat

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 9:25 am 
Why is everyone saying greed? Are we entitled to go to their country and get things at a price we want?

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 9:41 am 
Ya how dare the sherpa people massively improve their standard of living in trade for everest guiding at prices rich people are willing to pay.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Why is everyone saying greed? Are we entitled to go to their country and get things at a price we want?
No one is entitled to a price the seller does not agree to.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:08 am 
thunderhead wrote:
Ya how dare the sherpa people massively improve their standard of living in trade for everest guiding at prices rich people are willing to pay.
up.gif why, that's greed but it's OK greed. Greed is situational and of course dependent upon the identity/class/etc of who displays it, or something.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:16 am 
One of the folks that died went with a "cut rate" guiding company. They figured that the food would be less gourmet, but not much different. Unfortunately other ways the cheaper price was accomplished was fewer porters and fewer oxygen bottles. They ran out of oxygen waiting their turn on the descent and succumbed to hypoxia as a result. The requirement to have climbed a 6500 meter Nepalese peak seems like a move to increase guiding business. Seems ascending K2 , Broad Peak, Nanga Parbat and Cho Oyo wouldn't qualify as they aren't in Nepal.

neek

neek
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 10:47 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
In trade, you cannot sell what no one wants to buy.
Sure ya can, ever hear of advertising? Unlike robots, humans are easy to program. But yes, in this case Everest sells itself. At least they're doing something. People will continue dying on Everest. What they should really do is make the tourists pack out canisters, poop, bodies, etc. Greed, guilt, shame, jealousy... all fascinating emotions, not just vestiges of pre-agricultural human societies, but still with some practical value.