Forum Index > Trail Talk > Let's talk maps!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 3:39 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 4:08 pm 
FedEx/Kinkos can print 11x17 caltopo maps in color or black and white for those that enjoy a larger view than is possible with 8 1/2 x 11 Not very expensive, say as compared to buying GreenTrails or USGS paper maps. OTH Gaiga GPS works pretty well, just don't drop your gadget and be sure to bring a spare battery.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Good paper is worth it. https://www.waterproofpaper.com/puffinpaper/
+1 on both the value of using good paper and the suggestion of Puffin paper. This paper is both waterproof (although some home inkjet printer ink may not be) and far more durable than regular paper. See thread on this topic here.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:50 pm 
Thanks for the advice, after playing around with it I really like caltopo a lot. I will still probably get the recommended paper maps to assist with planning and I just really enjoy using them.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 5:50 pm 
montana forest service in years past used to put a yellow metal plate on trees near trails that corresponded with their maps. dunno if they still do

Downhill

Downhill
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 5:56 pm 
Agree that Greentrails are fine for popular trails, but they don't have enough scale for off-trail routes IMO. I use some combination of Caltopo, Gaia and mobile Google Earth - and second Neek's recommendation for backup battery.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 9:39 pm 
Metsker Maps has maps for both the areas you mentioned. Beartooth (and maybe a Cairn Cartographics) for the Absaroka and Tom Harrison for Desolation. Likely FS maps that cover those areas as well. And the ability to order USGS quads if you're going off trail. If hitting the store at 1st & Pike is a problem, either find them online at metskers.com or call the store at 306 623 8647. A folded map will ship for $2.00 ea. (plus the cost of the map, obviously).

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 9:42 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
montana forest service in years past used to put a yellow metal plate on trees near trails that corresponded with their maps. dunno if they still do
Those are all over every forest and are used to mark the boundaries of each quadrangle. Where there's one marker, you should see 3 others in the most immediate yet slightly general vicinity.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 9:54 pm 
SwitchbackFisher wrote:
I would like to leave this open to more than just my needs, but also talk about other good trail maps that anyone has found for other areas.
Custom Correct maps for the Olympic Peninsula. Beartooth Publishing for Montana (maybe Idaho & Wyoming too?). Tom Harrison maps for California. Adventure Maps for specific areas of Oregon and Washington. Latitude 40 maps for southern Utah and Colorado. All available at Metsker Maps, in store and online. Also, National Forest Map Store (.com) for FS maps.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 6:36 am 
as I recall the yellow metal tag had a grid on it with a hole punched in where that tag was located and if you had the forest service map you could find exactly where you were.. since there have been major wild fires across the state in years past I don't know if those trees with the tags survived!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:55 am 
The same thing exists here also. They are called witness trees. There is a metal plate with a square with 36 numbered squares on it one of the squares has a nail in it. There are 36 sections in a township.the nail represent where you are, sometimes the nail is a a junction.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn