Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thorp Lake fisherman's trail - fail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 pm 
In years gone by I have hiked the Thorp Lake fisherman's trail a time or two or three. Before long this trail goes through a really nice meadow with a very small (1 foot wide?) stream. It then climbs over a ridge and drops to Thorp Lake. OK, admittedly it may have been a decade or more since I went that way. So today we drive to the end of the Thorp Creek road, see the trail, hike a short way to a small creek and see two obvious trails directly across the creek bed. We took the trail to the right. It starts out ok and gets into the real woods. This trail is obviously cut out. Someone did a whole bunch of work doing that. Then the trail gets steep and steeper and steeperer. What the... We bailed and slid down the worse bits - did I mention the loose rocks? - on our butts. Option A: Back in the day we danced up this kinda stuff light as a feather without a care in the world. Now as senior citizens we are in over our head. Option B: We screwed up and took the wrong trail. 1. Anyone got good beta on finding the Thorp Lake fisherman's trail from the end of the road? I just finished doing a search and I think we should have gone up the creek bed a bit in order to find the real fisherman's trail. 2. Anyone know where the steep and cut out trail we were on goes to? It seemed to peter out at the base of an equally steep and open slope.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostThu Aug 15, 2019 11:39 pm 
Have not hiked this trail. But I have to admit that trails I have hiked in the past don't quite square with recent redo's. Memory plays tricks on you. Some of the best trips I have done are the ones that didn't go as planned. Those are the ones that get recalled over a forbidden campfire.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:17 am 
It's been awhile since I've done the short cut route to Thorp, but I do recall that the trail makes a tricky turn up a stream bed near the start. The first I attempted the route, I missed the turn and ended up on the steep slope like you did. You can eventually regain the trail by scrambling up the ridge, but it is tough going. The trail is easier to follow coming down from Thorp Lake.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:37 pm 
I do this hike two to three times a year. When the trail FIRST hits the stream you need to turn LEFT and hike straight up the creek! Not long after the trail meanders right away from the stream, then goes left across the stream and heads straight up the ridge. Here ya go. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8029690&highlight=thorp+lk+lake

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostFri Aug 16, 2019 4:39 pm 
Perfect! Thanks BPJ.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 1:14 pm 
I remember seeing Thorp Lake in 2001 and was interested in the obvious peninsula that nearly splits the lake in two, which peninsula is almost certainly due to a landslide. It would be interesting to determine the age of the oldest trees on it as a limit for the youngest age for the landslide..

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:06 pm 
whitebark wrote:
The trail is easier to follow coming down from Thorp Lake.
I was going to post that, but I didn't have advice on how to find it from below. I only went down. The trail from the lake goes through some gorgeous meadows, but you forget all that while crashing down the streambed. embarassedlaugh.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostSat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
I remember seeing Thorp Lake in 2001 and was interested in the obvious peninsula that nearly splits the lake in two, which peninsula is almost certainly due to a landslide. It would be Interesting to determine the age of the oldest trees on it as a limit for the youngest age for the landslide..
Dork alert! tongue.gif (the peninsula is get-toable; I haven't been, but we watched as a couple of fellows easily worked their way along the rocks)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 9:59 am 
I actually read this this post an hour or so before doing this trail on Friday. I wouldn't have even noticed the path to the left if I wasn't specifically looking for it. Up a small boulder then along a rocky, steep, brushy creek bed. After about 200 feet of climbing it levels out a bit in open forest then you reach the meadows with the view of Thorp Mountain you were talking about. Then more brush and climbing. Trail ended at some campsites on the north side of the lake. I was also looking out to see if the new mystery trail joined up but saw no sign of it. I also stashed my electric mountain bike in the woods by the gate for the Thorp Creek trail and made a loop out of it.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
Dork alert! tongue.gif
Oh Kim, you love science and puzzles!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still