Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hike around South Sister in Oregon - August 23, 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ahughjass

ahughjass
PostSun Aug 25, 2019 8:56 am 
So, not only do I climb mountains I also like going around them. I've circumnavigated Mt. Rainier, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Hood, and now South Sister. I have a few more on the list too - last I checked the Yakima Nation is no longer issuing permits for their side of Mt. Adams frown.gif Pictures follows and here's a link to a video: Circumnavigate South Sister Hike
In my effort to go around South Sister, I left the Devil's Lake trailhead at 7:10 in the morning. When I reached the Moraine Lake trail, I turned left to do my circumnavigation clockwise. I choose the clockwise direction because of no particular reason. I returned to my truck at 7:15 pm. There are established trails around three quarters of the mountain, but on the Northeast side there are no trails. I like being in the wild, and this section is the real Three Sisters Wilderness. I didn't run into a single person out there. This is a great hike. I did it as a day-hike in about 12 hours as kind of a reconnaissance for a backpacking trip with my wife. We will return again as an backpacking three day hike. On my return I can summit Middle Sister and I really want to do The Husband which is a 3rd / 4th class scramble. Around South Sister Circumnavigation 24.5 miles 4920 feet of elevation gain and loss my total time with all breaks (about one hour total) was 12 hours and five minutes I carried no more than one litre of water. I stopped about six times to filter water usually 1/2 litre at a time. I carried the 10 essentials and a PLB for emergencies. I was shocked to have really good cell service, T-Mobile, around most of the mountain. I used it to text my location to my wife periodically on my hike - it gives her comfort to know where I am. FYI, I recently returned my Garmin InReach Mini. The quality of the GPS locations were terrible, off by miles sometimes, even when I was on summits with no obstructions. And sometimes it just failed to transmit anything.

I go to the gym religiously.... Christmas and Easter I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message