Forum Index > Trail Talk > Classes on mountaineering and alpinism?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
asdf

asdf
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 4:15 pm 
I've been hiking and backpacking a long time. About the most technical thing I will do is a good scramble like Bean. What are some good classes to learn how to do more. I would like to make some more technical ascents and learn how to climb in winter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 4:58 pm 
The Mountaineers have a scrambling course and basic mountaineering. BoeAlps also has courses. I took a quick peak at their website, don't have to be a Boeing employee to sign up.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 5:10 pm 
Washington Alpine Club has both basic and intermediate climbing courses and winter backcountry travel and camping. https://washingtonalpineclub.org/classes

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostSun Aug 18, 2019 8:34 pm 
The Bushwhackers Climbing Club teaches both a scrambling course and a glacier travel course. Really good courses. Small but organic club.

Arginine

Arginine
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 8:23 am 
You should take a serious look at some of the local guiding companies. There are 3 & 5 day mountaineering courses that are decently and competitively priced with the Mounties and WAC. Some bonuses of going with professional guides are: 1) You get a better student:instructor ratio 2) The instructors go through pedagogy training as part fo their development rather than people volunteering so the instruction is better (I've taken course with both clubs I listed above too) 3) You are more likely to get instructed in modern techniques rather than dogmatic instruction that varies based on your instructor's beliefs 4) The guide service courses take a lot less time. The mounties basic class for next year is listed at 4.5 months as a conservative estimate and not counting getting on climbs to graduate (which can be a near impossibility) 5) At least with the mounties you need to take several ancillary classes (first aid, navigation, etc) to graduate. Those classes are useful but you can get that training elsewhere for cheaper/better if you don't have it already. Those classes tend to fill up (esp first aid). There may also be a stewardship requirement which is great if you are into trail maintenance.

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis

SteeperColder
paralysis x analysis
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 2:23 pm 
"Arginine" makes some really valid points about the Mountaineers, but left out some of the positives: - at the end of your mountie classes you will most likely have made some lasting friendships with other people eager to do more technical ascents, and with both of you having the exact same training, there is a certain confidence and eagerness that comes with it to attack the back-country safely and in numbers. - I have had to use both my Navigation & first-aid multi-day training's in real world situations, and I am so glad I took them. My outcomes may have been different without them. - I cemented most of my skills after graduation by volunteering over-and-over in the courses... Build a Z-pulley once and your ok at it... build it +20 times and you can do it in your sleep. Each have positives and negatives - try and talk to people who have both

"You won't find reasonable men on the tops of tall mountains" - Hunter S. Thompson
Mtngirl717
wanderwoman

Mtngirl717
wanderwoman
PostSat Aug 24, 2019 3:13 pm 
Piggy-backing on the previous posts, I have taken both professional courses (American Alpine Institute & RMI) and courses with the Mountaineers. Here are my thoughts: Professional Course- Pros -More experienced instructors and higher quality training -Shorter Courses with more flexible dates Cons -More Expensive -When you graduate, you probably still don't have anyone to climb with (many students are from around the country) Mountaineers (or equivalent)- Pros -You will graduate with a close knit group of new climbing buddies -There are opportunities to join future climbs or take more courses -Great community -Passionate (volunteer) instructors Cons -Schedule can be committing -Classes can be tough to get into -Instruction is sometimes inconsistent and outdated (but still relevant) Of course, the combination is the best of both worlds wink.gif Hope that helps a little

What is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
trailies

trailies
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 9:28 am 
I am interested in this as well. Most of these courses seem to be occurring in the Seattle area. Does anyone have suggestions for similar courses occurring on the Olympic peninsula? I am all the way out in Port Angeles and have not been able to find anything like this in the area.

MultiUser

MultiUser
PostFri Aug 30, 2019 10:57 am 
trailies wrote:
I am interested in this as well. Most of these courses seem to be occurring in the Seattle area. Does anyone have suggestions for similar courses occurring on the Olympic peninsula? I am all the way out in Port Angeles and have not been able to find anything like this in the area.
Your best bet may be the Oly or Kitsap chapters of the Mountaineers. Both reportedly much more low key than the Seattle activities. Course offerings are fewer at the chapters outside of Seattle however.