Forum Index > Trip Reports > Price Lake + Winchester Mountain 18 aug 2019
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon Aug 19, 2019 11:04 pm 
I know you all would probably make fun of me, but it took me two attempts to finally get to Price Lake (actually three attempts to finally see it, if you count not seeing Price Lake from Goat Mountain due to clouds). Last time I tried to go to the Price Lake was in late September of 2018 on a heavy rain day and when I found the infamous log completely wet and slick over raging Nooksack river, I quickly realized this was beyond my comfort level. That time I ended going to Nooksack cirque instead, which is a really beautiful area on its own, actually maybe even prettier and grander than the Price lake. This time I selected to go on a sunny day, but even so crossing on the log felt exhilarating to me. This log is not getting any younger and feels very shaky and already broken at one end. It also only holds by leaning on another very thin tree somehow just clinging to the bare rock. Between this shaky crossing and quickly disappearing glaciers, I figured out I need to take my chance to finally see the lake before it is all too late.
The route is brushy and steep, but excessively flagged. There is one particularly steep area through somehow burned forest that is particularly open, hot and nasty. I continued on the moraine for a while looking for a good viewpoint. Price lake is very long and completely refuses to fit into a photo frame.
Lots of blueberries and some deer prints also a couple of wasp nests along the trail. Many cute mushrooms, mostly russula species and some boletes. No other wildlife or human life seen.
Since it is rather short hike to Price lake and Twin lakes road is right next to it, I decided to finally try driving it to the end and checking out Winchester mountain lookout for sunset. I was very intimidated by the Twin lakes road before (somehow it gets very bad rep) but now I that got my new hybrid awd Rav4 with custom skid plate, I finally felt brave enough to tackle it. Turns out it is not too bad at all. There are a couple of places with really deep ruts, but nothing impossible and I have certainly seen forest roads in worse conditions. Driving back at night was even better - turns out this road is a lot less scary when you cannot really see much. Clouds moved in just as I got to the top of Winchester mountain and there were 0 views from the summit, but cloudy views along the way were just superb.

zimmertr
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jstern

jstern
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 8:21 pm 
You have a great eye! Some really terrific photos! I really like this one.

"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:21 am 
kitya wrote:
I continued on the moraine for a while looking for a good viewpoint. Price lake is very long and completely refuses to fit into a photo frame.
Lots of blueberries and some deer prints also a couple of wasp nests along the trail. Many cute mushrooms, mostly russula species and some boletes. No other wildlife or human life seen.
Cool to see this area later in the summer. Interesting to see that small upper lake with chucks of ice in it!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:29 am 
I've been wanting to go check Price Lake out for years. Almost never see anything about it. Your photos have moved it up the list. Spectacular!!

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 9:57 am 
jstern wrote:
You have a great eye! Some really terrific photos!
Thank you! I was just lucky with some clouds.
BeardoMcGrath wrote:
Cool to see this area later in the summer. Interesting to see that small upper lake with chucks of ice in it!
Thanks, your report before finally convinced me to try crossing on the log one more time smile.gif
Cyclopath wrote:
I've been wanting to go check Price Lake out for years. Almost never see anything about it. Your photos have moved it up the list. Spectacular!!
It is not too popular I think. There was nobody else there when I went.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 2:06 pm 
You have some great pictures! Indeed, as you say, the clouds help, adding an air of mystery and depth. Was Cookie sad not to go to the lake with you? ( she is mountain dog, but that log!)
kitya wrote:
It is not too popular I think
The climbers' route to Price Lake was somewhat more popular years ago after Price Glacier was included in the book "50 Classic Climbs in North America". Also people would go past the lake to reach NooksackTower. But both climbs have fallen out of favor due to the deterioration and complex crevasse network as the glaciers shrink.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 8:39 pm 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
Was Cookie sad not to go to the lake with you? ( she is mountain dog, but that log!)
I'm not sure if she was actually sad to not go to the lake, but I was sad to go without her. I always feel guilty going somewhere that could be fun for her without her. After all she cannot go without me, so this relationship is not really fair to her. But while she couldn't go to the lake, I was happy she joined to Winchester lookout and I felt much better and happier there. Wow, I can understand how climbing through glacier that crevassed would be super hard!