Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. St. Helens Giant Tree Forests - Quartz Creek Big Trees and Cedar Flats Research Natural Area
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lcometto

lcometto
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 6:22 am 
The ancient old-growth of Gifford Pinchot National Forest and around the vicinity of Mount St. Helens are some of the most beautiful and underappreciated in all of the Northwest. I chose to photograph two trails here as part of a project to document the PNW’s best giant tree, old-growth forests: http://www.lucascometto.com/cascadia-washington Quartz Creek Big Trees Tucked deep in the wild Cowlitz Valley wilderness of Gifford Pinchot National Forest, the Quartz Creek Big Trees trail exposes hikers to some of the most magnificent Douglas Firs in the Cascades. These giants have been growing for more than 500 years and are very tall. Yet as with many old-growth Douglas Fir groves, the trees’ most astounding quality is their girth. Many of these specimens reach six to ten feet in width.
Quartz Creek
Quartz Creek
Quartz Creek
Quartz Creek
Because the trail is relatively unused and inconvenient, the boardwalk section has developed a beautiful overgrown look, complete with moss and ferns flanking the path and providing a beautiful retreat from civilization.
Quartz Creek
Quartz Creek
Cedar Flats Research Natural Area Walking through the giant trees of Cedar Flats Research Natural Area gives one a unique sense of awe and majesty only achieved in the presence of old-growth. This 112-acre forest on the east side of Mount St. Helens was set aside in 1947 as a pristine example of ancient Pacific Northwest rainforest to help scientists study its complex and diverse ecosystem. The entire grove sits on a flat bench with a wonderful view of the Muddy River. One short loop trail circles the diverse flora of western hemlock, western redcedar, and, of course, Douglas Fir.
Cedar Flats
Cedar Flats
Cedar Flats
Cedar Flats
One of the largest Douglas Firs in the world, aptly named the “Cedar Flats Sentinel” grows in this area, off-trail. Its location is only known to the few fortunate enough to have ventured successful after it but many enormous trees can also be found through careful scouting, including the enormous cedar pictured here that I found through a little off-trail scouting.
Cedar Flats
Cedar Flats
Neither of these short trails see nearly the same level of visitors as other natural attractions around Mount St. Helens but they are in their own right absolutely stunning and rich in beauty. These forests are incredibly unique in the world and they carry a special appeal to me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 12:30 pm 
Another lovely blast of beautiful luscious trees. up.gif

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Michael Lewis
Taking a nap

Michael Lewis
Taking a nap
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 1:41 pm 
Thanks for sharing this area. Educational TR

NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 1:43 pm 
Thanks for the photos of Quartz Creek - I've looked for it a couple of times when headed back home from the Windy Ridge area, but have never been able to locate the correct turnoff.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/
lcometto

lcometto
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 7:10 pm 
NacMacFeegle, here's what I did. From Randle WA, I took Highway 131 south and connected with Forest Road 25. At 46.44149, -121.99805, RF 25 will split and to the right is Forest Road 26. Take that for 8 miles until you see FR 2608. Take that road to the trailhead on the right.

lcometto

lcometto
PostWed Aug 21, 2019 6:37 am 
Thanks for the kind words, GaliWalker and Michael!