Forum Index > Trail Talk > FS49 Sloan Creek/ N Fork Sauk Closure
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 3:06 pm 
ALERT from Mt Baker/Snoqualmie National Forest: " FS49 Road will be CLOSED for repairs beginning Monday August 19 through Friday August 23, and again Monday, August 26 through Friday, August 30. The scope of work involves removing the roadway, so it will be impassable during the closures. In addition, the road between North Fork Sauk Trailhead and Bald Eagle Trailhead will be closed weekends 8/17, 8/18, 8/24, 8/25 and 8/31, 9/1 for Mountain Goat relocation flights. These weekend closures only limit access to Bald Eagle Trailhead. All other trailheads along this road will be accessible weekends." - - - - - Possible errata: Why/how the road could be open on the weekend in between isn't clear since they're "removing the roadway". rolleyes.gif See my other thread re MLH FS office comms issue.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 4:38 pm 
Hm this sounds familiar. Is it on their website? Perhaps they sent it on their email listserv, which anyone can subscribe to. Or their Facebook page. My guess is that they know people want to get out there, so they'll make it passable on weekends, then come Monday, all construction hell breaks loose again. Surely "remove the roadway" is either a highly technical term we don't understand, or a dumbed down term that doesn't make sense. Either way, it's open on weekends. That's cool; I'll take it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 4:42 pm 
I still can't believe, with all the budget strains, they are doing these "goat relocation flights." So totally asinine.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 5:08 pm 
Re the goats: best compromise between costs and bad PR for outright culling?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Aug 20, 2019 5:15 pm 
NPS started the goat gig, I think. And I think the money is NPS/USFW/WDFW/USFS combo funds. But regardless of where the funds come from, it is not in any way related to road/trail money.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert